Any recommended free sites?

Started by Laura Creed on Friday, June 10, 2011

Participants:

Showing all 3 posts
6/10/2011 at 4:51 PM

I'd read a recommendation that geni.com was a free site but it clearly isn't. Of all the pay sites I've experimented with, its the worst so far.

I realize its unlikely that anyone reading this particular forum would be able to refer me to somewhere good but I'm giving it a shot.

Private User
6/10/2011 at 5:01 PM

Well, recommendations would relate to *what* you don't like here, what you were hoping to find but didn't, what you *do* like and would also want somewhere else, etc. Many of us have tried a variety of sites and might have some feedback for you. Care to elaborate?

6/11/2011 at 10:14 AM

1. Can't import Gedcom - apparently not even if you pay for the service
2. Gives me hourglasses claiming it has matches but clicking on the hourglass only leads me to the "pay for my service" splash.
3. Non intuitive interface. For instance, adding a spouse doesn't prompt you for marital information. You have to edit the newly added person and add that information.

Overall the GUI is designed to be eye candy with little actual function. I have to say that ancestry.com is far superior in its design although it charges far more for its service. At least it doesn't require you to sign up for a full year like Geni does.

I've experimented with several sites and what I'm looking for is what the LDS site provides for free combined the ability to build a tree from the data. Basically what ancestry.com charges $12 a month for but can be had for free if you use multiple sites and manually enter the data.

I'm just posting here and elsewhere hoping someone will happen across this that has an answer.

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion