Mary Gertie Meeks REAL name.

Started by Christopher Fitzpatrick, Sr. on Friday, June 10, 2011

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 3 posts
6/10/2011 at 10:28 PM

Looking at census records, I see the spouse of George Gordon Yawn with children George V and Billie, listed as Demaus, Demarious Demarionis G Yawn, Also listed as Gordie and Geordie Yawn. It would be nice to see a birth certificate with the name on it. I can see where Demarious etc could have been shortened to Mary, makes sense, and of course Gordie and Geordie could turn into Gertie. I am not sure of the source of Gertie, but it's possible the census taker screwed up and wrote Geordie and Gordie. Still trying to find who her parents were too. I have been down to the Palmetto Cemetery and the stone reads; Mary Gertie Meeks Yawn.

6/13/2011 at 2:19 PM

Just got off the phone with the health dept. They have a death certificate, reading Mary GORDIAN Yawn, it has her father's name which they wouldn't give without $25 and the proper forms requiring a trip to Brunswick, which I need to do anyway,...sometime. The Glynn Library has newspapers from 1947 on file, but all on microfiche, which also requires a personal appearance. So, any one in brunswick have a library card? Hopefully then we can determine Mama and Papa Meek's names and go from there.

7/27/2013 at 11:01 AM

I've been reading (also editing the scanned document for rendered text, fun..) "Bradford's History of the Plymouth Settlement" and I found this little tidbit-
STEPHEN HOPKINS; Elizabeth, his wife; two children by a
former wife, Giles and Constanta; and two by this wife,
DAMARIS and Oceanus — the latter born on the voyage; two
servants, EDWARD DOTY and EDWARD LISTER.
Just postulating that the practice of using famous names might be at play here...hmmmm.... It's on page 338 about 3 pages from the end and before the index starts. Mention is also made of the Damariscove Islands.

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion