Peter Stuyvesant

Started by Private User on Sunday, June 12, 2011

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 4 posts
Private User
6/12/2011 at 7:32 AM

So what kind of shape is his geni profile and family tree in? Because I'm getting all kinds of impressed with the man. Check this out:

The year 1640 marked a turning point for the colony. The West India Company gave up its trade monopoly, enabling other businessmen to invest in New Netherland. Profits flowed to Amsterdam, encouraging new economic activity in the production of food, timber, tobacco, and eventually, slaves. In 1647, the most successful of the Dutch Director Generals arrived in New Amsterdam. Peter Stuyvesant found New Netherland in disarray. The previous Director General's preoccupation with the Native Americans and border conflicts with the English in Connecticut had greatly weakened other portions of colonial society. Stuyvesant became a whirlwind of activity, issuing edicts, regulating taverns, clamping down on smuggling, and attempted to wield the authority of his office upon a population accustomed to a long line of largely ineffective Director Generals.

http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/kingston/credits1.htm

6/12/2011 at 8:07 AM

Honestly, I haven't looked much at the profile descriptions - too busy with getting a structure going :-)
I think Stuyvesant is not a master profile. I think quite a few profiles deserve to be master profiles, such as the first 'governors' or 'director-generals' of the province.
Actually, why don't we involve the people that added those profiles in, and ask them to collaborate with the project - and reviewing the profile descriptions is a project in itself :-)
Erica, you as curator, can you select some profiles as masters? If you want, I can then send mails to the profile managers and ask them to review?

6/12/2011 at 8:10 AM

Regarding the quality of the tree... there's already about 6-7 people that are doing great work with matching and merging all over the place :-) Not just by clicking the triangles and white dots. For instance, once you get going, you start to see names that you saw somewhere else and which Geni didn't pick up as a possible match. The paths are becoming cleaner in just a few days already, and we have more and more managers on these profiles.

6/12/2011 at 8:50 AM

George, those are some excellent ideas about involving the original creators/managers of these profiles. There is strength in numbers.

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion