New Amsterdam - Slavery project??

Started by Kenneth Kwame Welsh on Sunday, June 12, 2011

Participants:

Showing all 2 posts
6/12/2011 at 9:01 AM

Kenneth Kwame Welsh
For this project, 'New Amsterdam - Slavery', would have a limited time period. Let's say slavery started in 1660, that would only leave 14 years, until 1674.

Kenneth Kwame Welsh
6/12/2011 at 2:36 AM
"By 1660, Blacks had become a group apart, separated from the rest of the population by custom and law. "Starting in the Chesapeake region and continuing through the first decades of the 18th century, slave codes were poromulgated by legislatures throughout the colonies. They tried to solidify the distiction between slave and free. Simultaneously they placed limits on the free Black populations of most colonies, thus further identifying slavery and blackness. Among the besetting fears of the White majority (or minority in the case of South Carolina) was servile insurrection: the Whites were, after all, holding their fellow humans in bondage. Many of the laws were designed to keep the slave and free Black population under surveillance with the idea of preventing revolts." "(Spickard, p. 238; Also Friedman, Crime and Punishment, p.7).

Kenneth Kwame Welsh
6/12/2011 at 2:34 AM
In the Dutch and English colonies primarily (from Massachusetts to Virginia); Blacks were of "indentured servants" status until about 1660, when most of the colonies subverted them to "slaves" status.

George J. Homs
6/12/2011 at 2:12 AM
BTW, I've been reading a few more things about how it went with the first slaves in New Amsterdam. Actually, like you said, it started quite early. Interestingly, I don't think they were considered as sleaves (not initially) - but they seem to have had the same status as so many other 'lower' workers that were brought from Europe to build the forts and settlements. I read that the blacks did build Fort Amsterdam.
From the project's perspective... I feel that the Africans were as much 'immigrants' as anyone else - so if we get lucky and find names, we should add them as immigrants. However, as the history of slavery is such a fundamental aspect of American society, I do think we need to be able and cover it too. I just don't know where. I'm not sure if a subproject would be appropriate, i.e. 'New Amsterdam - Slavery'. What do you think?

Kenneth Kwame Welsh
6/12/2011 at 2:09 AM
I manage a vocal group. One of the singers got married we just returned about 90 minutes ago, and I was excited about all the talk about music and genealogy at the reception.

George J. Homs
6/12/2011 at 2:05 AM
Hey Kwame! (can't sleep? :-) ).

6/12/2011 at 9:03 AM

Kenneth Kwame Welsh
6/9/2011 at 5:46 PM
http://www.geni.com/projects/Slave-Uprisings-in-Black-History-US

Erica, read the Colonial Period portion.

Kwame

Showing all 2 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion