Intended use of the mtDNA and Y-DNA projects?

Started by Harald Alvestrand on Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 4 posts
6/14/2011 at 2:19 AM

Is the intended use of the mtDNA/Y-DNA projects that we should add ourselves and all our straight-line maternal / paternal ancestors to the project of our clade, to collect people interested in following a particular clade, or "none of the above"?

I find it fascinating, but I'm not sure what I can use it for.

Private User
6/14/2011 at 3:18 AM

Profiles that belong in a project:
ONLY the earliest known direct ancestor, in TESTED lines. :-)

All Users can Follow the projects as they wish, of course.

If you hve not tested yet or wonder how, what you can get out of it etc, there is lots of info here:
http://www.geni.com/discussions/80820

We hope Geni some day will implement better tools for genetic genealogy; in the meantime we have these projects.

6/9/2012 at 5:18 PM

Anne, I was planning on adding all profiles from tester to earliest known direct ancestor. Maybe there is someway we can mark the earliest known ancestor on each line?

Being able to see that, for example, two daughters lines have descendants tested and both came up with the same haplogroup will make the results more likely to be accurate, and when/if we get a disagreement on which haplogroup should be assigned to an early ancestor we can then refer to the lines up to the ancestor and see where the problem is.

for an example of what I have in mind to do....see my great grandmothers profile:
Florence Knox

6/11/2012 at 2:09 PM

It would be a lot of work, Kristina, but I think this is an excellent idea. Until Geni gives us a searchable field for DNA data, adding people to the various projects seems like the most effective way of finding the data.

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion