Battle of Baldwin Heights/Hills

Started by Kenneth Kwame Welsh on Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Participants:

Showing all 5 posts
6/14/2011 at 10:02 AM

Anyone ever heard of the Battle of Baldwin Heights, outside of Los Angeles?

6/14/2011 at 10:37 AM

Couldn't find anything on it. The main military action in that period within California wasn't Civil War related, but rather was related to the Mexican War from 1848-1849, so I thought it might have been related to that. But not too sure there was even an area called Baldwin Hills back then; the modern "black Beverly Hills" wasn't developed until about the 1920s according to its Wikipedia page. Then again, I couldn't find for whom Baldwin Hills was named after, so it's still possible that it was an undeveloped location before that time.

6/14/2011 at 11:04 AM

I heard this about 15 years ago. I was there over the weekend for a(nother) wedding reception. I told my wife I would get a metal detector and search for bullets and rifles. She laughed.

6/14/2011 at 11:08 AM

Lol...

John Rigdon, John, do you know?

6/14/2011 at 12:30 PM

There was some unrest in California, but to my knowledge the only events occurred in Naval engagements off the coast. There were some 16,000 Union troops enrolled from California and probably a comparable number went and joined the Confederacy. There is an overview on my website.

http://www.researchonline.net/cacw/index.htm

John Rigdon

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion