Profile Etiquette

Started by Private User on Monday, June 20, 2011

Participants:

Showing all 13 posts
Private User
6/20/2011 at 7:50 PM

I can understand if a profile is "fairly" old, been around and viewed a lot, possibly has more than 1 manager, needs some updating, etc.

But, I barely put a profile up TODAY and someone that I'm not even collaborating with went and started adding a bio, added it to a project, etc. Hello! I JUST put it up, I JUST started building the tree, I curate the profile...please let me "finish" what I start and let me abandon it if I give up...or let it be seen by more than myself and those that are "following" me.

Just a week or so ago, I was asked to help a fellow collaborator of mine who wanted to start a Celebrity tree, and while I was adding birthdates and documents to the profile I noticed someone Master Profiled and "Curated" it before the profile was even finished.

We need some etiquette or boundaries on here...seriously.

Private User
6/20/2011 at 7:58 PM

This has happened on the Tina Turner and Alan Hale tree to name 2 that got snagged from under my hands in less than 24 hours of being up WHILE I was still editing, and then happened to a profile for a Comic artist that I was given a challenge to work on...that really is rude.

1) I'm trying to steer away from using Wikipedia text in profiles that I start, as I have found NUMEROUS errors on birth places, causes of death, biological names/birth names. I want DOCUMENTS to use as sources.

2) Let me baby something that I create...at least till I ask for someone to babysit it or it gets merged into a duplicate.

Please?

Private User
6/21/2011 at 9:21 AM

If it was closer family to that profile than you are, then they definitely had that right to start editing as soon as spotted it - yes?

Your request seems totally contrary to the whole idea of working together on the profiles - while at the same time also making some sense.

6/21/2011 at 10:08 AM

K - I doubt that the person / people who worked on the profile know it's a Work in Progress, unless you indicated that in the Notes.

Also, if someone made a Master Profile, then they are a curator and this is best addressed by simply emailing them.

Although it's frustrating, it shows interest and enthusiasm and is not in itself anything bad.

Also, I don't agree that there's an issue with any profile at all being added to a project, if the addition is appropriate to the project's goal and to the goals of projects in general.

6/21/2011 at 2:09 PM

We need some kind of policy where we talk to people before doing some major overhaul on a profile. Common courtesy.

K, makes a point, if the profile was abandoned, yes I can understand that. But something that is being revised and then you are erasing what people have written. That is something else!

Private User
6/21/2011 at 2:14 PM

I also agree with K's point since I've had many such cases and not with such famous people.

6/21/2011 at 2:33 PM

Is it not possible to lock the profile till you finish nurturing it to full bloom?

Projects, are easier. you just put a "Under Construction, Do Not Touch" sign.

Members are eager and excited to collaborate, and don't realize you are ready for them yet.

6/21/2011 at 2:43 PM

I agree common curtesy is required

6/21/2011 at 2:58 PM

Malka, I agree with you, but when you lock the profile, curators can still "mess" with it.

6/21/2011 at 3:14 PM

I've had this happen to me, by the time I get to the "about me" The profile is merged etc.
I agree common curtesy is required
If it was a Curator take it up with him/her and in The Curator Discussions.
If it is someone that you collaborate with, take it up with them

Once a profile is put into a project it is mergable by those in the project, so don't put it into the project until your done with everything else, that should help some.
If it's going to be a MP anywhy MP and lock for the lttle bit it takes to finish it. But don't forget to unlock (unless it needs to remain locked for some reason anyway)

6/21/2011 at 4:58 PM

I MP first and write in the Curator's Notes - WIP. I agree totally about courtesy, if you are saying another curator MPed your profile, but how would they know when you worked on it or that it was a work in progress, unless they saw the date added and then they might have thought that you were finished.

If I did it, I would want to be emailed privately and it would make me more careful in the future. But mistakes do happen.

6/21/2011 at 8:49 PM

Hatte, I look at the revisions and the history. That way I know exactly when someone else worked on it. Last week for example, i used to method to determine myself and another gentleman was working on the same project simultaneously.

6/21/2011 at 8:58 PM

Good suggestion Kwame. I look too, but usually when I wonder if there's someone I can ask about more information about the profile.

Showing all 13 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion