Geni member
Showing all 14 posts
Private User
6/22/2011 at 1:26 PM

Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes)

Is he good or is he good? :-)

Private User
6/27/2011 at 1:58 PM

I added a name Elisabeth George... Erica as you allready know I'm pretty good in adding names but also pretty good in make a mess of it....
real sorry.....

Private User
6/27/2011 at 2:28 PM

Nothing to apologize for Jennie! I can't remember the names but am good at neatening up now and again, so we make a good team.

Now -- who wrote "Smilla's Sense of Snow?" Great detective series (not so great a movie).

And how about Martiz Cruz Smith and his Moscow detective series?

There was a series of detective books that became the basis for many "film noir" reissued in the United States by a company called Black Lizard Publishing (I think!). I wonder if there's a list of their catalog anywhere (if it was Black Lizard Publishing!!!)

Private User
6/27/2011 at 3:04 PM

MMm I had to look it up: Peter Hoeg a Danish writer. I love the Scandinavian writers.... But did not know this one..... must be a gap in my education :-).
Mmmm good to know caus next time a go to the library I know where to look for,,,,
Martin Cruz Smith Gorky Park I know of him was great! I have all the books of Mankell so you don't have to guess I'm a Mankell fan also de tv series....

LOL Injust looked up Black Lizard Books and mayme my english is not that well but it seemed to me nit a film noir kind of books but more ...... how shall I put it? uuhhhhhh addult books? But surely I'm wrong and misunderstood some titles.... :-)

Private User
6/27/2011 at 3:05 PM

BTW yes a good team! Must run in the family .... LOL

6/27/2011 at 4:57 PM

Jennie... You found out Erica's secret!!!!! Now you know why she knew Eye Candy so quickly!!!!! :)

6/27/2011 at 4:59 PM

I think this is what Erica was looking for:

http://www.weeklylizard.com/

6/27/2011 at 5:04 PM

I am bad, I read a lot, and love mysteries, but I think I have only read a couple of the books on that site...:(

Private User
6/27/2011 at 7:57 PM

That's the place Anita! Vintage Books - Black Lizard. Dang I had them all at one time (many moves back).

Did you check out the "original pulp" artwork?

http://www.weeklylizard.com/blog/2011/04/22/hard-boiled-original-pu...

Bet you've seen a lot of the movies made from the original "hard boiled" stories.

But we should do some contemporary writers. Has anyone ever read Nevada Barr, Anna Pidgeon mysteries?

http://www.nevadabarr.com/

Private User
6/27/2011 at 10:23 PM

@ Anita, yes I think so to LOL @ Erica , no I'm afraid to look it up... :-P

but serious: no never heard of the Anna Pidgeon mysteries is it a great loss? Because.... ?

Private User
6/28/2011 at 5:09 AM

"Anna Pidgeon" is a National Park Ranger who stumbles into great mysteries. She's tough, short, and red-headed with gray mixed in.

And since her career takes her to different parks, the settings vary from book to book. The most recent is set in New Orleans (just to get her out of a park I think.:)

I was thinking if you liked "Smilla's Sense of Snow" you'd like the books by Nevada Barr. Who really did work as a park ranger (and actress). Here's her biography:

http://www.nevadabarr.com/biography.htm

Private User
6/28/2011 at 5:34 AM

It's time that I write a book:. I also stumble and life is a great mysterie to me.... what douyou think Erica) Oh I'm also short!
I will read the biography to find out if there is more we share.....

But, serious I don't think we have those book out here, but I take a note for the next time a go to the lib.

Private User
6/28/2011 at 5:38 AM

Oh that's interesting! Just read it.... You gave a good tip not rubbish as I expected..... :-P
JOKING

Private User
6/28/2011 at 5:59 AM

Erica, I met Nevada at a mystery writers conference about 10 years ago (when I was writing mysteries)--she's a very nice lady!

Showing all 14 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion