Geni Stats

Started by Private User on Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 3 posts
Private User
6/22/2011 at 4:04 PM

Shmuel-Aharon Kam (Kahn) / (שמואל אהרן קם (קאן, your Geni stats are sill wrong. Hebrew come after Spanish in numbers, not before. You didn't account for users of Spanish (Spain) AND Spanish (Latin America). ;-P

6/23/2011 at 10:43 AM

Private User,
I KNOW there are more people who use Geni with a Spanish INTERFACE setting. It's right there in the table ( http://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Nationalities left half of it ranks by language) and yes, I DID combine the multiple Spanish variants (3 IIRC).

Hebrew ranks #6 as far as language goes, after English, Estonian, Swedish, Norwegian and Spanish. Closing off the "top 10" are French, Danish, Portuguese (also multiple variants) and Russian.

That Hebrew is #6 is pretty amazing in itself, because we ARE a rather small minority. So small that we are used to having NO SUPPORT for Hebrew on international sites. This is why despite there being, at the time, over 42,000 users with a "Current LOCATION" in Israel, only 18,000 use the Hebrew interface (as of December 2010).

This portal project is not language specific (see a few other non-Hebrew discussions here), but location specific. More so, it's NOT even about research IN Israel (queries still welcome), but more about USERS who LIVE here.

After the email was sent Mike posted some Israel specific stats regarding the break-down of language selections for the 62,000 Israeli users:
53453 English
7277 Hebrew
754 Russian
228 Spanish
125 French

So, if you look at the net-traffic statistics, minuscule Israel accounted for 3.91% of the total. This is almost 3 times the traffic from two Spanish speaking countries: Argentina, Mexico (Spain not even charted). And yes, I'm aware most Spanish speaking users are likely to be from the USA.

Private User
6/23/2011 at 11:41 AM

Yeah, that is pretty amazing when you think about it!

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion