The Sultana

Started by Anita M. Boynton on Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Participants:

Showing all 2 posts
6/28/2011 at 1:24 PM

I follow Clive Cussler on Facebook, and he posted some info about his diving to find the wreck of the Sultana.

In short, it was a passenger steamboat that was overcrowded with Union soldiers who had just been released from Confederate prisons in late April 1865. When three of her four boilers blew, an estimated 1800 of her 2400 passengers were killed (she was designed to hold 376 total). Her losses were greater than the Titanic's. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sultana_%28steamboat%29

Should we start a project for the naval side of the Civil War, and if so, do we include things like this civilian ship that was a casualty during the war, if not from an act of war?

If not a part of the Civil War, then I think history requires we start a project for lost ships...I am only finding two, Titanic and the White Ship...there were many many ships lost in the 1600-1800's, especially those coming from the Old World to the New. Erica??

6/28/2011 at 1:28 PM

If you haven't read a Clive Cussler novel and are at all in to action/adventure with a touch of history, I would suggest you read some of his books. They are not necessarily historically accurate (usually too unusual to be true), but they are good reads!!!!

An example of not historically accurate and quite unusual: in the end of Sahara (the novel, but not the movie), they find a mummified Abraham Lincoln sitting in a Lincoln rocker in a cave in the Sahara desert!

Showing all 2 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion