City Names changing for some unknown reason

Started by Randy Schoenberg on Sunday, July 3, 2011

Participants:

Showing all 7 posts
7/3/2011 at 11:57 AM

I added in a few dozen new profiles with the place of birth "Kojetin, Czech Republic" which the geni program recognized when I typed in Kojetin. But now when I look at the locations, something has changed the place name to "Olomouc", which is the district in which the town of Kojetin resides. Why? Do I have to now go back and "edit place name" for each and every profile and type in "Kojetin"? What am I doing wrong?

7/3/2011 at 12:10 PM

Randy - you have done nothing wrong. I have noticed this for a long time now, and it is not consistent. For example, I will enter "Berlin, Germany", and sometimes it remains that way. Other times it will switch itself to "Berlin, Deutschland".

Another frequent problem is selecting a place within a larger city, eg Flushing, New York. It will still only enter "New York".

7/3/2011 at 12:13 PM

Randy - btw - if you want to make sure the entry remains as Kojetin, Czech Republic, you can use the Edit Location option, then copy and paste for successive entries.

Private User
7/3/2011 at 12:59 PM

I also noticed that.
I also noticed that if it is a new profile - it always changed to the language of the place, but if you add that data on a profile that exist already or you just created it , saved and than did edit it keeps the way it shows after typing.

7/3/2011 at 2:48 PM

As Judith said - if you enter the data in the Expandad entry - it remains as typed

7/4/2011 at 6:30 AM

There has also been a problem for a few weeks now with a couple of merges -- when trying to clean up and select the right city for various duplicate profiles that were merged, the program goes to a page that says "experiencing technical difficulties.". Huh???

7/5/2011 at 3:30 AM

This has annoyed me a great deal as well. It's good to know there is a way to trick the system, though I wish Geni wouldn't automatically make my entry less specific. It feels like information that we actually have gets lost this way.

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion