How far back in Explorations are we talking?

Started by Kenneth Kwame Welsh on Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Participants:

Showing all 7 posts
7/5/2011 at 9:33 PM
7/5/2011 at 10:28 PM

My feeling is that we need to be 'practical' :-) Of course, we would try and work on the earliest explorations which took the genuine first settlers across the Bering Street. But, besides a simple mention of that, I guess we're interested more in what the 15th-16th century explorers did, and how that resulted in the earliest European settlements. As such, that would connect nicely to the 'Ports of Arrival' chapter.

7/5/2011 at 11:08 PM

Yes, I understand. I've studied Barry Fell's and others' research, and some of the so-called Indians were actually a mixture or blend of Europeans and Native Americans. These combined tribes existed throughout the Americas: eastern Canada, New England, Kentucky, Arizona, Midwest U.S. and the Pacific Northwest, to name a few. And were here when Colon/Columbus and the others arrived in the 1490s.

But I like your logic George, but lets drift a little further back in history.

7/6/2011 at 12:43 AM

Actually, I've been reading some stuff on Russian settlement in Alaska - but it looks like it remained very isolated from events down south. Still, I wouldn't be surprised that there are possibly some Russian lines to be found, somewhere.

Private User
7/6/2011 at 5:47 AM

1526 - Spanish colonists led by Lucas Vasquez de Ayllon build the community of San Miguel de Guadape in what is now Georgia. They bring along enslaved Africans, considered to be the first in the present-day United States. These Africans flee the colony, however, and make their homes with local Indians as the first nonnative settlers of what will become the United States. After Ayllon's death, the remaining Spaniards erlocate to Hispaniola. And more befor, during, after ... see the link.

But it may be to much. Isn't it a better idea to start with the period of the new Amsterdamproject and see how this can be connected and related to other projects and knowledge from African genealogist? First set this up as good as we and others can and when there is a good structure and information maybe look further in history. But first be practical otherwise this project has not a fair change to succeed in the way it can I think. And we all want that. But Kwame I understand because the more you know the more you want to know and the more you realize what you did not know before. At least that's for me the case :-).

http://inquiryunlimited.org/timelines/histAfAm.html

7/6/2011 at 9:44 AM

George, the Russians were also in California. You have the Russian River in northern California. The British and Americans (and to a lesser degree, Russians) fought over Washington state and Oregon.

7/6/2011 at 9:47 AM

Jennie, see our Georgia: Colonial America (1540-1740) project:

http://www.geni.com/projects/Georgia-Colonial-America-1540-1740

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion