Started by Nora on Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

• Nora
    Geni member
Showing all 6 posts
Nora
7/6/2011 at 3:17 PM

I googled my name and my immediate family geni profile appeared in the search result under my daughters name. Could you please tell me how to remove the information from the google search result.

7/6/2011 at 4:39 PM

Nora

Using the menu's at the top of your screen you can navigate to:
Account>Account Settings>Permissions and uncheck the box that reads
"Let the public search for me (profiles privy settings apply)"

Or use this direct link:
http://www.geni.com/account_settings/permissions

Private User
7/7/2011 at 12:00 AM

If your daughter is a Geni user it is HER setting that have to be changed, not yours.

You should also remember that Geni is not static web pages, but displays whatever you have permissions to view and the classical error that have shocked a lot of people is finding full details about them self when clicking a link from Google, - forgetting that the details is a result of being legged in as them self on Geni.

You have to ensure that you are logged out of Geni before clicking such a link if you want to see what really IS public information from Geni.

Nora
7/7/2011 at 1:00 AM

Thanks very much for your help..We have sorted all the permissions. How do we remove the old information from the google search result. Google say that Gen'is site webmaster has to give permission to have it removed. I am not very computer literate so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Nora

7/7/2011 at 3:05 AM

Hi Nora

Could you please tell me where and when you got the information from about Google removing old info. The last time I checked, which was about 2 or 3 months ago, Google said that the only way to removed old info is to delete the actual page. Because what happens, from my understanding anyway, is that every now and then Google pings the page and only when it doesn't get a reply then the info is removed from their cache. But I couldn't ascertain when and how often they ping old pages and what their criteria for doing is. So if, like me, you change your settings after a few months, that info will be there until the page is deleted. What I mean by 'page' is the actual DNS address of that page.

So based on that it would be interesting to know how Geni is going to go about changing all the addresses of all the old info :-)

7/7/2011 at 7:15 AM

The link to request that Google remove a page is at https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/removals

They can only remove it if the page / URL returns a "404" (not found) or contains a meta tag indicating that it should not be indexed. If you've changed your permissions to not be publicly searchable then you're all set, but just in case you could post here the URL that you'll be requesting to be removed, and I'll confirm for you that Google will be able to remove it.

kind regards,

Mike at Geni

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion