Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

• William James Kimpton
    Geni member

Related Projects:

Showing all 11 posts
William James Kimpton
7/23/2011 at 12:24 AM

I am interested to know how to UPLOAD a Gedcom file to Geni rather than download the information on Geni. Can this be done and if so how please

7/23/2011 at 6:34 AM

At this time, you can't upload to Geni.

Check out the information at this project for upcoming changes, but it is probably going to be awhile. http://www.geni.com/projects/AncestorSync-for-Geni

The problem is that with one large tree, if someone uploads a million bogus records, it could take years to clean it all up. Once Geni has a way to control what you are uploading, then they will be able to open it up again.

7/28/2011 at 6:14 PM

Being able to upload is very high priority. The whole reason I want to use Geni is to have a simple forum to share my tree with family. I've already done all the research using Ancestry.com, and there is no way I'm typing it all in again! I suspect most of us are in the same position.

How do you propose to 'control' what users upload?

7/29/2011 at 8:41 AM

Please note that in most cases you do not need to imput very many profiles before you join into the main tree. once joined to the main tree you are attched to 57 million profiles.

The goal of Geni is to have one profile for one person. Adding duplicate information is not needed and will get merged into the tree anyhow.

Tagging
William James Kimpton
Melissa Jackson

7/29/2011 at 10:08 AM

Melissa Jackson - I also did a lot of research on Ancestry and another site but was very pleasantly surprised when I got to Geni to find that someone had already entered the bulk of my family on BOTH sides and had many branches and individuals that I did not know about. I simply connected at about my great great grandfather's generation and supplemented going down and where necessary going up. I asked to collaborate with the people who were the main managers of the trees on each side and one is a cousin in fact.

7/29/2011 at 2:23 PM

I wish I was finding that many connections :-( I've found very few and I'm back several generations on both sides of the family.

8/2/2011 at 8:34 AM

@melissa Jackson - I understand that! I have some branches that connect, but others which are not even close. FYI: As I've looked for those "generations back" connecting points, I have found some of duplicates and have been the initiator in requesting merges of such profiles -- I understand rather well the issues involved in uploading (what is really needed is a temporary "local-to-me" tree of my upload, with potential duplicates noted ,,, and allowing me to then either "prune the ancestors at that duplicate point or to request merges (in the case where my info supplements the existing info) ... for the other. "unique" profiles, they can then be "committed" as ordinary (a.k.a. "permanent") profiles.

Or something along those lines. :)

Tagging also: @Marvin Caulk, Volunteer Curator

Private User
8/2/2011 at 10:28 AM

We're working on it. ;)

8/7/2011 at 6:31 PM

Is there some rough timeline / estimate for when the upload functionality might at least be available for testing? 1 month? 3 months? 6 months?

I'm not looking for a "hard commitment" ... the answer might help those who have just a little info vs. those who have a bit more (or a lot!).

Private User
8/11/2011 at 12:13 PM

Dan Cornett Dan, one of our biggest concerns is we don't want just a simple upload. We want versioning on every piece of information that passes through our program. That way you can have a specific ruleset. We could create a simple upload tool, but Geni doesn't want that per say either.

As far as a timeframe, we're working towards the last quarter of this year. We have some exciting things in the mix, and with the new API integrations AncestorSync should be tons faster.

Plan for a great holiday season for Genealogy. ;)

8/11/2011 at 7:09 PM

Thanks for the "sign-post" of possible availability.

I know very well what you mean about keeping track of changes; one of the concerns I have with the present Geni GEDCOM download is that the "change timestamp" appears (currently) to be rather "course" (e.g.: the whole individual is marked with a change, not just the item changed).

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion