This project

Started by Hatte Anne Blejer on Saturday, July 23, 2011

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 7 posts
7/23/2011 at 10:33 AM

Let me know if you would like help with Wiki formatting of the Project narrative. I have gotten a lot of experience with this from my projects.

My husband's family is from the Jewish agricultural settlements of Southern Ukraine. I don't know if these are to be included in this project or not, but if so, I can add references and some history and list the various small settlements. They aren't cities of course. I think that Chaim Freedman who is on Geni is an expert in the Ekaterinoslav (versus the Kherson) colonies in the Southern Ukraine. My husband's family is from Kherson.

I am interested in tracing my paternal grandfather and grandmother, who appears to be from a small town outside of Kiev (Bilogorodka). Max Reib Rubenstein and Fannie Rubenstein.

10/27/2011 at 10:13 PM

Is it Bilogorodka or Belgorod? They sound the same.

11/1/2011 at 8:08 AM

Simone Rachel Hawkins

All I had to go on were (1) an answer scratched out on a Census form that appeared to be "Kiev" from my great grandmother and (2) a passport application from 1912 from my great grandfather on which he hand wrote something like "Balogrodker". He was born circa 1858 and immigrated in 1882 or 1885, and didn't tell the truth on other documents, so who knows whether "Balogrodker" was the truth. Apparently a lot of Jews who went to Illinois and St. Louis were from Belogorodka. I'll look for the citation for that. In any case, he may have thought that was a good answer.

In the meantime, as I document on his profile, it appears that my great grandparents may have actually been from the Shavli district of Lithuania since the majority of the immigrants to the little town of Muscatine, Iowa where they settled were from Shavli district from Leckava, Vieksniai, or nearby villages. I know he went to Muscatine with relatives -- Weintraub and Fryer. I know that Rubenstein and Reib - my grandparents' surnames were common in a couple of towns in Shavli.

12/1/2011 at 9:16 PM

I found additional records last night proving that my great grandparents were from Belogorodka. I don't know which one, but given where they emigrated to - Iowa and Illinois, including Rock Island, I'm thinking the Belogorodka in Volhynia.

1/16/2012 at 2:19 PM

I started a project on Geni to document the families from Volhynia area who emigrated to the U.S. Midwest (Illinois, Iowa, Missouri). There are several descendants of these families on Geni.

I am researching that area, both looking for records and corresponding with other descendants of Jews from Volhlynia who are DNA matches with me in the Family Finder test. I cannot go back further than my great grandparents on this side of my family, but hope through this research, to extend my family tree back further.

1/19/2012 at 7:18 AM

Dear Hatte, here's the link on the Biligorogda location in the Kiev Oblast: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=%D0%91%D1%96%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%B3%D0%BE%...

Also, please do not mix up Ekaterinoslav and Kherson. The modern name of Ekaterinoslav is Dnipropetrovsk. Kherson's name was never changed.

1/19/2012 at 9:48 AM

Антон Олегович Земанек - Thank you. At first, I thought my ancestors came from the Biigorogda just outside of Kiev, but I know now due to documents on Ancestry that they came from Volhynia.

Yes, I am aware that Kherson is not Ekaterinoslav. My husband's family are from either Novopoltavka or Israelovka (Berezuvatka) or both in Kherson. They arrived there before 1840s approximately it seems. See the great site: http://kehilalinks.jewishgen.org/Colonies_of_Ukraine/
There are Blyakher signatures on a document from Novopoltavka in 1843. See http://kehilalinks.jewishgen.org/Colonies_of_Ukraine/Novopoltava4.htm. Later records of my husband's cousins show them coming from Yazer/Israelovka/Berezuvatka, so we know that the extended Blecher family lived in at least those two agricultural villages.

His mother's Blecher family is from Romaniv near Zhitomir. Also Schneiderman and Gelman families from Romaniv /Zhitomir.

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion