Missing profiles 'post-crash'

Started by George J. Homs on Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 1-30 of 32 posts
8/2/2011 at 3:14 AM

Hello all. Pretty frustrating to see the immigrant profiles gone from the project, of course! But, I think we just need a bit of patience. It looks like Geni's database tables go through a time-consuming refresh, so I bet that our 1,600+ profiles will be there soon. To play it safe, personally, I'm no adding any new profiles here until we see the old ones back. In the meantime, have you checked the New Amsterdam page on Facebook? http://www.facebook.com/pages/New-Amsterdam-Project/129761257113815
The idea is to reach out to millions of users who might have a New Amsterdam connection in their family, and raise awareness for - and interest in - the work we're doing here together!

8/2/2011 at 8:49 AM

Hope so George! yes posted it on my wall

8/2/2011 at 12:17 PM

I have seen it, and the lovely profile pic!

8/5/2011 at 3:19 PM

This is terrible, only 51 profiles there now, seems the more we advance, the further back we go, this is not the 1st time - I hope your hard work comes back.

8/5/2011 at 11:33 PM

We got them all back, Corey! :-)

8/6/2011 at 7:39 AM

great!

Private User
8/6/2011 at 7:52 AM

<huge sigh of relief>

Private User
8/6/2011 at 8:16 AM

Safely returned home? Great!

8/6/2011 at 10:05 AM

Although MPs are not back and About Mes and Curator's Notes are not back, at least not that I can see.

But yes, it appears that the links between projects and profiles are restored and they even managed to keep the post-crash added profiles.

8/6/2011 at 10:06 AM

Corey - which families are you following in New Amsterdam? Does it include our shared ancestors?

8/6/2011 at 2:22 PM

About half of the 1600 names are family that I am following.

8/6/2011 at 2:24 PM

Whoa that's a lot. A lot of my mother's family came in the Great Migration and settled in Massachusetts and moved then into Connecticut, so I don't think I have a large % of New Amsterdam.

8/6/2011 at 2:28 PM

The 1,658 names are back up now and there are more than there was before. My plan was to go through every name to see how they are related via marriage (family merges)

8/6/2011 at 2:29 PM

Good thing, that would have been terrible if the info was lost.

8/6/2011 at 2:37 PM

Well, so far, on the very 1st page, every single name is family via marriages. There may only be a handful that are not by the time I am done.

8/6/2011 at 2:53 PM

Second page, all again are family but now finding some that are related from further back in time not later merges. for example: http://www.geni.com/path/HIM+Crowned+Anointed+Prince+Corey+of+the+L...

We knew back in 1650's (us from Essex) who we were closely related to and organized marriages and divided the families to prevent inbreeding.

8/6/2011 at 3:23 PM

When I 1st went through I just clicked on names I recognized, and that was about half of list, but so far, the 1st 5 pages, every single one is family in a way that all alive today would be straight up cousins. I figure once we knew the bloodlines were pure untainted Royal bloodlines in New Amsterdam, we stuck together till 1777 then split in two, but here in Canada, we continued to stay together in Peterborough, and Niagara Region. I know that my family has never ever married outside of the Royal family in all of history, they were very strict about that.

8/6/2011 at 4:19 PM

Do you have a project Corey that explains all this -- the Essex connection and the royal bloodlines?

Roosa was also related to me, but through different lines.

8/6/2011 at 4:55 PM

To escape persecution in East Friesland, (after discovering the secrets of the Vatican) the the families moved to West Friesland closer to the border Near Amsterdam where religious tolerance was accepted so people were not being killed just out side the borders. But in Essex (the families closest to the Throne of England) they had to escape to Scotland then get on a boat to go to Amsterdam. Then from Amsterdam, these families (all related) came to the New World. This is a project I am currently working on and may some day add it to Geni (if this site turns out well) but it is a scary project, because it reveals truth and may change the very reality of who the Royal family really is.

8/6/2011 at 4:57 PM

Good men do not kill other men because of religious belief, only bad men do.

8/6/2011 at 4:59 PM

Vlad Dracule was a bad man, and these 1600 + families were not related to Vlad in the 1600's. Today, all the "Legit" Royalty is.

8/6/2011 at 5:00 PM

This is all I will say for now.

8/6/2011 at 5:09 PM

Pierre Billiou
is another example on the opposite side of Friesland, Father was from Normandy France and Counts of Anjou to Belgium to Staaten Island
Birth: circa 1630
La Bassee, Wicres, French Flanders, Belgium
Death: circa 1707 (77)
Staten Island, Richmond, New York, USA

8/6/2011 at 5:13 PM

New Amsterdam literally should be called the New Royal Family of the untainted righteous in God and the Martyr's paved the way for the survivors. North America was an escape.

8/6/2011 at 5:51 PM

I dont understand it all but very interesting!

8/6/2011 at 6:01 PM

I am ignorant of early American history and working on my family tree on Geni has started me learning about where the early immigrants came from, specifically the East of England. I still don't understand the relationship of the Pilgrims with Holland. I'm not sure if all these things (your own story, New Amsterdam, and the Pilgrims' connection with Holland) are tied together.

Private User
8/6/2011 at 7:08 PM
8/6/2011 at 10:42 PM

I find Corey's line of thought very interesting. From where we sit, it's difficult to understand the minds and motives of the immigrants. The general things we know: the search for good fortune and religious freedom were major drivers. Many emigrants actually left on very precise contracts, to work for a while for holders of land patents and patroons. Others really came in groups that were bound together through origins, family, religion - like the Walloons, or the large number of French Huguenots that fled France and settled down around Mannheim first. There's definitely also the cluster that Corey hints at, the group of people that left Holland to settle in Schleswig Holstein (East Frisia), and then came back - and then went to New Amsterdam. And, indeed, there were English that went to Holland first, before setting off to the New World.
A 'classification' around the religious aspects can be helpful. Probably we need other types of classification as well - including the clusters where people settled (New Amsterdam, Rensselaerswijk, Gravesend, Bergen...) - or even significant non-Dutch places of origin (Mannheim? Noordstrand? La Rochelle? Valenciennes?). Interesting to keep in mind... Interesting to keep in mind, also, is that the Saint Batholomy massacre in 1572 almost wiped out the Huguenot aristocracy in France, after which the exodus of Huguenots really started. Also interesting to note is that it was the Walloons that had been pushing for settlement of New Netherland (the Dutch initially just wanted to have trading posts).

Private User
8/7/2011 at 7:30 AM

Have there been any "first settlers" projects for Europe analogous to the ones we've tried for the U.S., South Africa?

Private User
8/7/2011 at 7:31 AM

Does following the religious cluster lead to the geographic cluster? I would think belief determined settlement area, so that would ome first?

Showing 1-30 of 32 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion