Is is possible to create a private tree?

Started by Private User on Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Participants:

Showing all 8 posts
Private User
8/2/2011 at 3:22 AM

I'm just beginner and planning to create an own tree in Geni. Is it possible to create a private tree so, that even when searching in internet there would be no Geni results at all?

Now my own account is private, but relatives I added in my tree can be found with an internet search - and relationships as well. When I search my brother in Google like "firstname lastname" and choose the appearing Geni-page from results, all other names and relationships can be seen - but in my box there is only a text "Private User".

I rather would not see any names and relationships at all. I wish only the people I call into my tree could see the tree in geni and names/relationships in internet search. Or do I something wrong?

Private User
8/2/2011 at 8:49 AM

You want to set so Public cannot search for you. To do this:
Upper right, click on "Account", go to Account Settings, go to Permissions - unclick (default here is clicked!) - "Let the public search for me (profile privacy settings apply)"

However, this will not keep folks logged in to Geni from Searching for you (and finding you).

If you cannot be found by Internet search, but relatives can - I can think of three possibilities:
1) did you make their profiles Public, instead of Private?
2) are you finding references to Profiles of them added by others, not you?
3) did the recent collapse cause a bug here?

I am assuming so far no one else has a claimed profile on your tree. I have so far failed to pass on the info about setting 'Public cannot search' for them to anyone else joining the tree but if they join and don't, they will be searchable, along with references to their immediate family, etc.

ONE of Geni's Goals is a World Tree so 1) you are likely to get Flack about a totally private tree here and 2) do not go back too many generations, or you will be forceably merged.

8/2/2011 at 11:27 AM

Lois,
That setting only applies to your profile.

Minna,
All the public can see is the name, and near family relationships of a private profile. All other details of a private unclaimed profile are hidden. Non-users and Geni users can't see the tree from any of these profile pages.

Private User
8/2/2011 at 4:28 PM

Jonathan Scott Krengel -
1) If you set so Public cannot search for you, then they do not see the your name nor your near family relationships -- so in a sense this is not just your own info that doing this hides.
2) You cannot set it for others, hence my suggestion to let them know!!
3) What Geni shows for the Profiles you Manage is less if you choose not to let others search for you than if you let them search - this was a big surprise to me, but worth knowing. (assume it is still true - certainly have not checked since the outage)

Private User
8/2/2011 at 7:02 PM

Minna, you can have a private tree to a point. You can have a private tree up to 4 generations out...anyone after that can get merged into a duplicate profile if there are any. Geni.com is about a ONE-world-tree. Once you see a number next to the individual in the tree, it means you have a duplicate. If you start adding more, you are only going to create a huge duplicate problem if you don't merge the duplicates in soon enough.

Private User
8/6/2011 at 8:21 AM

Hey thanks al lot to you all! I'll try these. :)

8/6/2011 at 12:00 PM

This is a great question and thread, as I'm becoming increasingly uncomfortable about populating my cousin relatives.

8/7/2011 at 9:03 PM

One other point, when doing a google search for a relative, remember to logout of Geni completely, ensure you do not have any other windows or tabs open, then do the search..

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion