my Kwee family tree

Started by KWEE Hong Sien on Friday, August 5, 2011

Participants:

Showing all 9 posts
8/5/2011 at 8:53 AM

This family tree was handed down to me by my grandfather Kwee Tjoen Liat, for those who are interested please feel free to download it and print it out:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/hongsien3/KweeTree.jpg

Kwee Sik Poo was the one who came from China with his first wife Han Swan Nio (also from China, and had those small bound feet) around 1850-1860. He settled down in Pasuruan, where the Kwee house still stands........

Hong Sien

8/31/2011 at 1:55 AM

Shalom KWEE Hong Sien,

I presume you have already added these profiles to your tree? Have you also uploaded this "photo"? If you did, you could "tag" the relevant profiles in the photo to attach it to their profile.

See Tagging under ==> http://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Glossary#T

Shmuel-Aharon Kam,
Geni Curator

Private User
1/25/2012 at 11:46 AM

Hong Sien,
How sure are you when you said that Kwee Sik Poo was the one who came from China.
In regeringsalamanak was written that Kwee Ting Tjiang was a wijkmeester in Pasuruan from 1871 till 1873, then got promoted to Lieutenant of the Chinese until 1886.
It was then Kwee Sik Poo which replaced his father to be Captain of the chinese.

Kwee Sik Poo had probably also a younger brother named Kwee Sik Khie, with whom Kwee Sik Poo together bought the sugar factory in Kawis Redjo in 1882. (Old Newspaper available in KB).

Also mentioned in some old newspaper that Kwee Khoen Bing and Kwee Khoen Kie which were also said as nephews of the Captain os Pasuruan.

I am thinking that it was Kwee Ting Tjiang who came from China and Kwee Sik Poo and Kwee Sik Khie were born in Pasuruan.

Steve Silsilahi ;-)

Private User
1/25/2012 at 12:47 PM

Sorry, I misread the name.
Now that I read the name of Kwee Sik Poo father as Kwee Ting Swan, I think Kwee Ting Tjiang was his uncle who already settled in Pasuruan.

1/25/2012 at 6:03 PM

Hi Steve, well I was not 200% sure, but I only said that actually because we had no other persons above him than KWEE Ting Tjiang, and my aunt told me so/........so we were all wrong then :-)

I have never checked Pasuruan, my father when he was young did went to the KWEE pasuruan house, as well as my eldest sister. I have to ask another cousin of mine in malang, who used to stay at the Pasuruan house, they should know more. Thanks for the valuable extra info! I will tell me other relatives in Holland

Steve: How can I read into the regeeringsalmanak of pasuruan? Do I need to ask a certain person for permission, or is it in a library in Pasuruan? I am not sure when I will got to Pasuruan, hopefully this year.......

Hong Sien

1/25/2012 at 8:04 PM

Thank you Shmuel-Aharon Kam! I will look into it, I did have posted some images recently, quite easy!

Hong Sien

Private User
1/25/2012 at 11:17 PM

Hong Sien,
Regeringsalmanak is published every year from 1815 till 1942.
So in order to read, you should read each book in Pasuruan chapter which normally be the same year in and year out.
They had already digitized the book and you can buy itu online in a DVD.

Private User
2/6/2012 at 1:38 PM

Interesting. I have my great grand-dad named Kwee Sik Tjiang who were adopted, raised and buried in Sumenep, Madura. According to his tomb stone (recetd 1916) he was from Yan (presumably Yan Zuo, Pasuruan or Lumajang, according to Anthony Tjio, Yan Wang used to be Pasuruan) . Even though we know his adopted father, Kwee Tua Pang or Kwee Kian Hien (tomb stone erected in 1898), we never know who KST father was. In KKH tomb stone there is a "blank space" next to KST name, presumably for unknown names(s) of brothers. Therefore KST must have brothers that were unknown to the tomb stone crafter(s). Is there a possibility that Kwee Sik Poo and Kwee Sik Khie were his brothers considering their middle name are the same, they were living in the same circa 1880-s [Kwee Sik Poo 1842-1931], they all had been in Pasuruan; which I believe had limited numbers of Chinese family then, not to mention Kwee family. Another sources say that "Sik" used to be used by Malaysian. They might have all been from Malaysia instead of directly from China? Just theories. Also is there possibility to know Kwee Sik Pook brothers, or kwee families in Regeringsalmanak ?

Private User
2/6/2012 at 11:13 PM

Hi,
Regeringsalamanak were published every year and consist all of the European (mostly Dutch) officers and employees. Then there were also officers, translator from native or chinese or arab who worked for the colonial government.
So when our ancestor was just a common man, we could not find their name there.
Regarding the theory that SIK was coming from Malaysia, I don't think so. In West Java the same name will be spelled as SEK. And those two are just a common Chinese names.

Of course it was possible that Kwee Sik Poo and Kwee Sik Tjiang were brothers or cousins, but normally without any more common generation names from other generation (father, grandfather or son) it will be difficult to justify.

Steve

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion