Spence

Started by heather mciver on Friday, August 5, 2011

Participants:

Showing all 3 posts
8/5/2011 at 10:32 AM

Although I am looking for John Spence of St. Vincent's married to Ann Louisa Brown and was a merchant there in the 1800's I was wondering if his name could have been Spencer, I would be interest to know if anyone knows of any Spencers from St. Vincents

8/5/2011 at 12:17 PM

Hi Heather, most likely it was Spence. Some of the St. Vincent people relocated to the bigger islands such as Jamaica. There are quite a few Spences there.

Kwame

8/6/2011 at 8:19 AM

Hi Kenneth, Thanks for replying, the full story is that John who was a merchant and his 2 spinster sisters I dont know there names, had a plantation in St. Vincents, the story goes that there was a terrible hurricane and there land was flooded, so the sisters packed up and came to scotland, I dont know what happened to John and his wife as they were dead by 1885 as stated on my gr grandfather wedding cert. They must have been buried in St. Vincent's as there is no info on scotlands people of them dying here, because there son benjamin west spence drowned when his boat the abydos sank there is no death cert for him as he was never found. I have been trying to get info for nearly 3 years now, I think it might be time to give up. I have also tried to get birth cert for Benjamin west but there is no such a cert in scotlands people, so he must have been born in St. Vincents, I have his info on 3 of his ships that he was a seaman on and all of them stated that he came from St. Vincent's
Heather

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion