players in war?

Started by Private User on Saturday, August 6, 2011

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 13 posts
Private User
8/6/2011 at 3:16 PM

is this forum for major players only general washington etc etc cauz i have in my family a col... Thaddeus Crane commanded a company of Westchester County militia. Was 2d major of the 2d Reg. Westchester County, May 28, 1778 (also captain of North Salem company). At the Battle of Ridgefield he was seriously wounded. In 1777 he held the rank of major. He was shot through the hip at Ridgefield (expedition to Danbury), 27th April, 1777. In Feb. 17, 1780 he was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel, 4th Regt., Westchester County.
He served in the Assembly and was a member of the New York State Constitutional Convention in 1788 that ratified the Constitution.
He was on the military invalid pension list when he died.

Private User
8/6/2011 at 3:22 PM

Michael, the project description says "Documenting lives, families and descendants of people who served in the American Revolutionary War.." I think your ancestor has a place in the project. Go ahead and add him. Be sure you have the sources attached, etc. If you need help, pick any of the curators who are collaborating on the project. I looked at the list and they are all first-rate and very helpful.

8/6/2011 at 5:21 PM

Private User

I could not find your col Thaddeus Crane on Geni.

Can you tag him for me? Please make sure he is marked "public"

Private User
8/6/2011 at 5:24 PM

will do that

8/6/2011 at 5:27 PM

Private User

ps

there is one at

Maj Thaddeus Crane

but he may be to old and is not marked as being in the Revolutionary War

Private User
8/6/2011 at 5:30 PM

yep he was in the war try here http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~fancher/revwar1.htm this was my source

8/6/2011 at 5:43 PM

Yes, the one marked above is was in the american Rev. I have added him as such. Please note that your profile is yet connected to him. A good start may be the sons of the American Revolution or the Daughters of the Revolution Web sites. You may be able to connect that way, or it may be that for some reason you are not connected to the main tree yet.

Private User
8/6/2011 at 5:48 PM

k thanks.. i will look into those sites.. why it's not marked in the main tree i don't know and will fix

8/6/2011 at 6:37 PM

Has there been any discussion about creating regimental history sub-projects for the American Revolution? It would be a lot of work, but very interesting.

Private User
8/7/2011 at 11:05 PM

Justin, there are many, many websites dedicated to various military units on the web. The best ones are done by usgenweb on state by state basis. Google a unit and you'll find one. My roots go deep in Kentucky. I have many instances where brothers fought in the same units as well as on the opposite side during the Civil War. Those records are awesome.

Here's one on the Spanish American War - http://www.jansdigs.com/racine/delayedbirths.html - that just happens NOT to be genweb.

8/8/2011 at 6:20 AM

I always look for those regimental history when I find a Civil War ancestor. They give context for the pension application, when an ancestor was claiming that he was injured in some minor skirmish. I thought it might be interesting to see the Revolutionary War project on Geni divided in the same way.

Private User
8/8/2011 at 8:56 AM

Revolutionary War regimental histories are harder to find.

Here's one for Rhode Island - http://www.rhodeislandsar.org/pdf/Hietman.pdf and this one gives file numbers for units listed in the National Archives. This Wikipedia page - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_militia_units_in... - has units listed that have not been completed.

If someone wanted to create such a project, it seems to me that the project would be broken down by colony, with a list of units, and then ancestors can be added to the units as their military duty has been verified.

8/9/2011 at 7:25 AM

One regiment that is on the internet is: The Irish Brigade ...I even found what there insignia was....

Showing all 13 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion