"The Old Families of Salisbury and Amesbury Massachusetts"

Started by Private User on Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Participants:

  • Private User
    Geni Pro

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 1 post
Private User
8/10/2011 at 8:02 AM

At the age of 21, he resolved to penetrate the forests of New Hampshire for the purpose of selecting a location for his father, four brothers, and himself. The spot selected was on Wood Hill in the town of Bow. The homestead was originally on both sides of Wood Hill Road. The section east of the road was later separated by the road (Woodhill-Hooksett Road) from Wood Hill to Great Hill. The house is at the northeast corner of the intersection. (William "Willie" Colby, and his wife, Frances, lived there until his death on 25 Jul 1969) Willaby soon went back to his Amesbury home and married Sarah Sargent of Newton, NH, on 14 Jan 1767. She was born 3 Dec 1745. They started making arrangements to emigrate to their new home. His first child, James, was born in the Fall of 1767. The next Spring, they all started for their new home in Bow, his wife on horseback with their child in her arms. He soon built a frame house east of where his son Philip afterward lived. In 1774 he purchased of Benjamin Noyes, a hundred acre lot, No.5, 14th Range, in the Bow Bog District, which he divided between his rtwo sons, James and Philip. This lot was called Nottencook. He was well skilled in the use of carpenter's tools and would glide over a frame as safely as on terra firma. Their first log house stood a short distance south of where William Elliot lived in 1892, where his father, Abraham, with the youngest son, Jonathan lived and died. He signed the Association Test, along with his father, Abraham, on 3 Sep 1776. He was a Revolutionary soldier. In July 1777, Lt. Willaby Colby, with seven others, under Capt. Benjamin Bean, marched for the relief of Fort Ticonderoga. On their arrival at the Fort in Charlestown, NH (Old Fort No.4) news came of its evacuation and orders to return. They were in service seven days. In February 1781, he petitioned the General Court for payments for his services in the war, stating that in July of 1777, he was drafted by Capt. Benjamin Bean to march to Ticonderoga. Capt. Bean died shortly after their return and did not pay them. In 1792, he, Enoch Noyes, and Timothy Dix, were chosen a committee to accept of the meeting house, if work was done according to previous agreement. He was one of the Town Selectmen in 1796 and 1797. His wife, Sarah, died at Bow on 22 Apr 1796 at the age of 54.

SOURCES: (1) "The Old Families of Salisbury and Amesbury Massachusetts" by David W. Hoyt; (2) Early Vital Records of Essex County, Massachusetts to 1850 for Amesbury; (3) "The Colby Family in Early America" by Frederick Lewis Weis, Caledonia, The Colonial Press, pub 1970; (4) "A Genealogy of the Descendants of Abraham Colby and Elizabeth Blaisdell, his wife Who settled in Bow in 1768" By one of them, Concord, NH Printed by the Republican Press Association 1895.

Showing all 1 post

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion