Geni help desk not helping. Re: My privacy being breeched

Started by Marolyn Diver on Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Participants:

Showing all 5 posts
8/10/2011 at 8:00 PM

(I am using another account to write this....)

Hi there. A long while ago I started up an account and put some information in about my family. Then I decided it wasn't really my thing, not knowing that it was all going to be public. Now I'm told that when my name is searched Geni is one of the first things that comes up and my whole families information is there for the world to see. Including my young childrens names! I tried to log on to delete or at least change my settings and I can't for the life of me remember which email I used. I I've tried all of them. I've contacted Geni via the help email and I get a ticket number but no reply. I have done this three times now over a few weeks with no help. Ordinary this would be something I would just deal with but I am a published author so when someone search for one of my books it comes up with this very private information for any whack job to use on me. I really wish I never put this information and have learnt my lesson now. But why won't Geni help me? I'm the only one with that name on Geni. I know what my password would be. I only ask they make my profile private. Is there anything more I can do to get them to help me?
Thanks in advance for any help.

8/10/2011 at 8:46 PM

I'll let several Geni staff know directly. Your family group should and can easily be made private so only family members can see the full details of the profile.

Private User
8/11/2011 at 2:11 PM

My guess would be this is an unfortunate result of Geni's "Abandoned Tree" Policy --- "A long while ago I started up an account and put some information in about my family. Then I decided it wasn't really my thing, not knowing that it was all going to be public."
Management quite possibly has been turned over to someone else by now.

8/11/2011 at 2:47 PM

Thanks for your help Hatte and Louis. I'm now in contact with someone who is in the process of fixing it all. :)

8/11/2011 at 4:10 PM

That's great "Jane Doe"! They should be able to fix it for you, easily.

Good luck.

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion