Henry Forney served as a second lieutenant in the Seventh Company of the Fourth
Battalion of The York County Militia. Henry and his brother, Johann Adam, were two of
the founders and benefactors of the building of The Emanuel Reformed and Lutheran
Church, one mile northwest of Hanover, Pa., (1764-5).
Mary Forney died 1 April 1817, aged 73 years 45 days. Henry Forney purchased section
10 in Unity Township, Columbiana County, Ohio on 14 December 1801, Certificate
#289, Jefferson County, North West Territory, Range 1, Township 8, Section 10. Henry
was listed as being from Jefferson County, Ohio, so he probably already settled on this
land. Columbiana County was not established until 1802. Henry had six sons, among
whom his land was divided. In 1879 the middle part of the section was still the property
of a Benjamin Forney, son of Adam, and included the place where Henry Forney built his
log cabin; the family meanwhile lived under a large grape vine. On the southwest corner
of Henry Forney's Section 10 was erected a log meeting house; today it is known as The
Salem Evangelical and Reformed Church, where Henry and his wife Mary are buried.
This cemetery has been known for many years as the "Old Forney Cemetery". Henry
Forney had the first public house (tavern) before 1820 on the southeast corner of the
Square, Unity, Ohio, in a small brick house with a frame lean-to. The Fourth Census of
the U.S. (1820), Ohio, Vol. 6 lists Henry Forney as a "Manufacturer", this no doubt was
due to the fact that along with farming he was engaged in the manufacture of bricks; there
was a deposit of clay on Section #10.