Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Geni Pro
  • Geni Pro
Showing all 5 posts
Private User
8/11/2011 at 3:49 PM

It really is an interesting idea for us Americn mutts. I just figured out I have a line from Switzerland, for instance ... And part of the delay for me was that they passed through Germany and Holland.

So it can't really be location based. ... Except that it needs to be location based.:)

Private User
8/11/2011 at 4:01 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/us/family-trees.html#index

do you mean something like this? I mean to see how "mixed" your family tree is? Was an article in NY times, It's great.

8/11/2011 at 6:57 PM

Interesting trees, Jennie...although confusing on some of them. One tree has English twice, another has four different types of American, including English American!!!

Something else to be aware of...birth while visiting another country...just because someone was born in Germany doesn't mean he is German!

We do have TREE pie charts already (go to Statistics and you can pull a pie chart of country of birth, religion, ethnicity, and current location), so it is tracked, it would just need to be applied to each profile and then calculated.

Private User
8/11/2011 at 7:27 PM

Actually what I was thinking about was ways to use the API to generate reports. I tested a third party "fan" chart and "name cloud" chart, for instance.

Of course the chart would only be as good as the data entered. I am lax in completeness in some profiles, and you've just challenged me to fill in more info. Well done.

8/11/2011 at 7:38 PM

In case anyone else reading this hasn't found them yet, you can find pie charts at http://www.geni.com/statistics, which is linked under the "Family" tab at the top left-hand of Geni pages.

The trick is that it requires you to be diligent about filling in the ethnicity field when creating profiles. You also have to be consistent with how you input the ethnicities, otherwise you'll end up with one slice for "British," one for "English," one for "USA," one for "US," etc.

Have fun exploring!

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion