Time to set a license on our work?

Started by Private User on Thursday, August 11, 2011

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 13 posts
Private User
8/11/2011 at 2:12 PM

Time has changed, also on Geni. Today thousands of genealogists all over the world are collaborating on the same tree. There are a few examples on similar projects, the greatest is Wikipedia. And we have to look at Wikipedia to see how we can improve our work.

A problem today is: "Who owns the tree?" Since thousands of people have worked on it, it is impossible to know what you own and what other owns. Therefor I mean it's time to let people make their tree free and open by licensing it under eg. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

What do you think? Are you willing to open your work?

8/11/2011 at 3:31 PM

In the US there's no copyright on data and Creative Commons depends on copyright for it to work. The license might be applicable to the text in documents or About if written by the contributor.

8/11/2011 at 4:43 PM

Wkipedia is an info source site...not a genealogical tree site....disconnected info (a snipet)

It's good...but not a 'tree' site.

Private User
8/12/2011 at 1:29 AM

Hmm, I found this: http://genealogy.about.com/od/writing_family_history/a/copyright.htm

And then I found this: http://www.creativecommons.no/node/18
And this: http://opendatacommons.org/
And at last §43 in the Norwegian Åndsverksloven (use Google translate):
Den som frembringer et formular, en katalog, en tabell, et program, en database eller lignende arbeid som sammenstiller et større antall opplysninger, eller som er resultatet av en vesentlig investering, har enerett til å råde over hele eller vesentlige deler av arbeidets innhold ved å fremstille eksemplar av det og ved å gjøre det tilgjengelig for allmennheten.

Eneretten etter første ledd gjelder tilsvarende ved gjentatt og systematisk eksemplarfremstilling eller tilgjengeliggjøring for allmennheten av uvesentlige deler av arbeid som nevnt, dersom dette utgjør handlinger som skader den normale utnyttelse av arbeidet eller urimelig tilsidesetter frembringerens legitime interesser.

Eneretten til et arbeid som nevnt i første ledd varer i 15 år etter utløpet av det år arbeidet ble fremstilt. Dersom arbeidet i løpet av dette tidsrom offentliggjøres varer vernet i 15 år etter utløpet av det år arbeidet første gang ble offentliggjort.

Er arbeid som nevnt foran, helt eller for en del gjenstand for opphavsrett, kan også denne gjøres gjeldende.

Bestemmelsene i §§ 2 andre til fjerde ledd, 6 til 8, 11a til 22, 25, 27, 28, 30 til 38b og 39h fjerde og femte ledd gjelder tilsvarende.

Avtale som utvider frembringerens rett etter første ledd til et offentliggjort arbeid kan ikke gjøres gjeldende.

Since Geni's an American company, I assume we follow American law? Or since I'm a Norwegian, am I protected by our law?

I think the easiest thing, also when we think on photos and commentars (which without doubt are copyrighted (as long the picture not is to old)), must be to let us choose a license on our work.

8/12/2011 at 3:14 AM

You're right Anders, more and more genealogists, especially amateurs devotes all his attention and his free time only for your own family tree. I, for over 40 years, I examine only the genealogy and history of my native clan Olejarz. In my native branch of the family (one of seven), I have collected more than 800 people from 1750 to the present day the site Geni. But I have another problem: collecting the data and pedigrees of other families named Olejarz from Poland and other countries (the descendants of emigrants to the USA, Canada, France, etc.). How to create on the Geni more than one tree way to keep track of similarity among their members?. Such an option or an application that really helped me in searching for relatives among all the other families named Olejarz, whose relationship is very difficult to detect subsequent tracking pedigrees, because there are no common ancestors.
Genealogy of the formation of family trees and genealogies by professionals on the customer orders is one thing, but the largest number gives self satisfaction to reach their own ancestors and sources of information about them. Professionals should rather concentrate on supporting and helping genealogists, amateur in reaching the source

8/13/2011 at 9:48 AM

I have many objections to activities such as online portals such as Ancestry. We publish it in our family trees and databases, and webmasters of this site shamelessly sell them. Want to have sought information about a person? - We have in our database written by our użyrkowników information that you are interested, but ... how to get them to pay us for it. Sometimes this information is very scanty and sometimes erroneous, but it's not a problem among others Ancestry website for pricing. Commercialization of genealogical research for such Ancestry is more important than its results. And yet no one pays us not in the portal and his ilk Ancestry genealogical portals for publicity of our genealogical database, right?. Is this a fair approach to the problem?.

8/14/2011 at 1:59 AM

Thankyou guys . These are crucially important points. I've sent a 'heads-up' message about this discussion to the other curators.

8/14/2011 at 2:31 AM

Thanks for sharing these thoughts!

Private User
8/15/2011 at 7:40 AM

I've hoped, and still hope, that Geni is working for an open world tree, where users are allowed to share their work, connect with other genealogists, share and improve facts and information, all in order to make one, single tree without errors, where all the facts are documented and that a genealogist in the future can use Geni as a source and historians are allowed to use the information we, the users, have, freely as volunteers, given away.

So, do somebody know which law we follow? The American or the law of our countries?

Private User
8/16/2011 at 5:38 AM

When you sign up for Geni account, you must accept the Terms of Use that Geni has set. You can find these at this link: http://www.geni.com/company/terms_of_use

As far as I can tell, there have been no successful legal challenges to Geni's terms in any country.

8/16/2011 at 8:26 AM

Facts, Data etc. can not been licenesed or copyrighted - only the format that it is PRESENTED in - material within a genealogy is not copyrighted unless it is an 'originial' sory anything that is facutal such as names, dates, places, public records (birth-marriage-death-will-probate-divorce-census etc.) which can not be licenesed and copyrighted by another either.

@Private User yes I am with you and what you say "
I've hoped, and still hope, that Geni is working for an open world tree, where users are allowed to share their work, connect with other genealogists" many of us have invited people into our trees or they have sought us ut as I my case as they have found my 'public proflies" and they joined GENI in hopes of working with me and now they can not as they are not pro-members I freely invited my Greene county Indiana distant cousins into my tree help them to connect to it so they would not have to make all those duplicate profiles up and then have to merge them all

Like i have said other places non-pro members are just as valuable to GENI as pro-members (they do need their access to the tree restored so that they can add to, merge their own profiles and especially past the 4th -5th generation as this is were we all need the MAJOR HELP on - most information below the fourth generation is easy to obtained and record its above that HELP is needed and required and this was what I thought GENI was to be) - they have donated alot of their own family tree to GENI - their research and now their reward for this is being locked out of it above the 4th and 5th generation - the biggest claim being they are have been responsible for allot of the bad merges - well they are NOT - I have difenite proof in this with my Smith-Hinckley line in particular as my only colloborator within 2 weeks after joining GENI in nov 2009 was a pro-memeber - she had a truck load of pro-member besides non-pro behind her - finally after much todo I got some answers block all my colloborators which was easy since I only had one - the merging would then cease WRONG (it continued) and I was told then i could proceed to clean up my branches - which was an endless battle for 4 months I was within one family group and 3 - 4 people of reclaiming all my original profiles (which was told could not be done)

I my mind genealogy can not be licensed copyrighted - only an original essay or biography if written within - genealogy is a collection of public records,

if a person want to license or copyright their genealogical work the only way I see that it can be done is to ABSOLUTELY share it with no one not even family memebers! As they pass on what you have handded the, or given them - even to paid hired research you have done - I had this happen back in the late 1970's when i had my husband's lines traced barebones in Scotland - my step-daughter wanted to read the report from scottish Ancestry and i let her and she promptly went to the local town hall had copies made and distributed them to the people in the family who shee deemed should have a copy leaving others members out - and with an offer to help oay for more research to be done in Scotland which was never done - thus the line has set un-researched since 1980.

8/18/2011 at 3:14 PM

I can not continue develop my of the portal Geni. family tree of my ancestral branch After clicking on the yellow arrow to add all family members (their parents, their husband or wife, and their children) to previously registered members of my family, you are only paid advertising window of the portal Geni. PRO mutation In this situation, I am forced to liquidate my entire huge family tree of the portal Geni. This is for me a very unpleasant experience!
I have to find another genealogy that does not limit its members' family trees for the sake of their own revenues I is also withdrawing from the newsgroups on the portal of the portal Geni., because I do not accept and does not endorse commercial moves of the portal Geni. of webmasters
Andrew

1/20/2013 at 6:43 AM

Andrzej Olejarz You were informed when You joined Geni of the different limitations connected to the level of membership. All I can see is that You disclose Your own lack of knowedge to the conditions for using Geni. So I really dont understand Your indignation, evryone knows that developing and maintaining computer programs costs money, and that You get what You pay for. There are no free programs, You will always pay in some way or other for using software, it may be by recieving ads or by giving user information to third parties, personal information for use in other ways or similar ways that You "Pay" for using.

Showing all 13 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion