Started by Private User on Thursday, August 11, 2011

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

• Morton
    Geni member
Showing 1-30 of 48 posts
Private User
8/11/2011 at 3:43 PM

I had reported this over in Help, under Bug Reports, but that listing has disappeared. The problem has not. It used to be that all the PDF's were broken. However, since sending links to Help with examples, the ones I first sent links to have been fixed and others of mine partially fixed. But it is still definitely a bug.
>>Moreover - despite my having set all my Documents to Private, when I went to check them now, all my PDF Documents were Public (not any of the several others I checked) - I have gone thru all and corrected that - not sure if due to fixing the 'outage' problem or trying to fix my Broken PDF's in response to my earlier report.
If anyone else has PDF files they chose to upload as Private Documents, suggest you check them!

On IE7, when looking at these "broken" Documents, they appear as little red "x" in small box at top of space where you should see the document - on your Documents page, in the pop-up, and when you click on it. Scrolling does not work at all correctly on the PDF's in IE7.
In Firefox, on your Documents Page, the titles for the document are over-written with other text. On the pop-up, you just see the 'other text'.
I think this is one they supposedly worked on/fixed - but as an example of what happens in one of mine now, in Firefox - When I click on the Document, on one of my multi-page PDF's, for example, I now see (on right side, side where it scrolls): "Page 1" in orange box, followed by picture of what I assume is page 2, followed by "Page 3" in gray box; scrolling works in Firefox, and for this Document I am looking at, shows pages 4, 5 apparently okay, then 6 again as "Page 6" in box (etc.).

Private User
8/13/2011 at 7:39 PM

I also added comments in "Help" about this problem. Geni reported the fix was "done," and in spite of comments from several people that there was still a problem, Geni seems to have removed all the comments related to this issue. Like you, I still have a problem with PDF documents. On Safari, I get the little red "x" you describe, and in Firefox I get the same over-written titles you describe.

8/13/2011 at 8:21 PM

Michael Stangel
Lets ask Mike to look again..

8/14/2011 at 8:17 AM

Lois or Barbara, can you send me an Inbox message with the URL (web address) of the broken documents?

Private User
8/14/2011 at 2:09 PM

Mike, I don't seem to be able to send you an inbox message, so here's the URL for just one of the documents.

http://www.geni.com/documents/view/profile-6000000001923411657?doc_...

I have a couple dozen documents that have a similar problem.

Thanks for your help!

Private User
8/14/2011 at 2:18 PM

Angus, I forgot to thank you in my last post. I appreciate your willingness to bring this to Mike's attention.

Private User
8/25/2011 at 1:56 PM

Michael Stangel - I sent a link to some of the Documents on Aug. 14th.

Now it seems it is no longer possible to upload PDF Documents. Aargh.

Private User
8/25/2011 at 2:07 PM

This is another report of PDF's not displaying correctly - dated Aug. 19, 2011. http://help.geni.com/entries/20380061-missing-documents

Private User
8/25/2011 at 6:20 PM

I have attempted repeatedly to upload a pdf (2 pages) from different computers and different "add" locations within the same profile. The inability of GENI to maintain its own website speaks volumes and I am being quite put off with this fact and the ability of strangers to arbitrarily make changes. Profile in question is Morton.

8/25/2011 at 7:01 PM

Making an image from a PDF is not trivial, especially considering that Adobe has kept it a closed file format.

8/25/2011 at 9:34 PM

Mike, http://www.adobe.com/devnet/pdf/pdf_reference.html did not help?
Me, I have rarely encountered a PDF that open-source software (evince, xpdf) could not show.

8/25/2011 at 9:58 PM

We're using ImageMagick.. I'm going to see if there's a newer version that may do a better job with the wide array of documents that are posted each day. We may also need to make some back-end file system changes to avoid some performance fragility with our current nfs mounts.

Private User
9/24/2011 at 11:07 AM

In "Missing Documents" - http://www.geni.com/discussions/100973 - Mike says they are currently/this weekend running a script to fix PDF's. Don't know if it just fixes/returns the ones that went missing or the types of issues mentioned above as well.

Private User
9/24/2011 at 11:16 AM

Also - if you put "PDF" in Search Box at top of Help - you currently get the original Bug Report I mention in my first message - but not if you just go to Bug Reports and look and/or search there. Using cut-and-paste, I get:
http://help.geni.com/entries/20304988-bug-documents-from-pdf-s-curr...

Private User
9/25/2011 at 5:29 PM

Ah - I see now "Bug Reports" currently exists in two places, one of them in the "Getting Help" section and one of them in the "Translators" section.

The original Bug Report currently appears in "Getting Help", is still marked "Done", and has a new comment entered today about problems still currently existing.

Private User
9/25/2011 at 6:01 PM

Lois - previously (up to about two weeks ago) it was easier to find the Bug Reports in the Translators section than in the Getting Help section. There was also a bug (since fixed) in the Bug Report functionality under Getting Help such that bugs could not be reported there, and could only be reported in the Translators section.

As a result, several bug reports were placed in the Translators section that had nothing to do with Translators. At my instigation, these were moved by CS from the Translators section to the Getting Help section.

9/28/2011 at 12:42 PM

http://www.geni.com/documents/view/profile-6000000003481510305?doc_...

Here's one. I've uploaded this document twice now, and each time the pages show on Geni as being in the wrong order. However, they are in a *different* order each time I uploaded it! It shows perfectly on my computer, with the pages in the expected order.

9/28/2011 at 12:43 PM

Michael Stangel I like pdftk for pdf manipuation. I have found it to produce more consistent files than ImageMagick. :-)

9/28/2011 at 1:03 PM

http://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000014100782214

Here's another with the pages out of order.

9/28/2011 at 1:14 PM

Erin we've looked at pdftk but it doesn't appear to convert PDF to JPG/GIF/png -- does it? My current plan is to preprocess with something like pdftk and *then* go to ImageMagick.

9/28/2011 at 2:29 PM

Nope, it doesn't. I was secretly hoping you guys were embedding actual PDFs. That would be cool.

Private User
9/28/2011 at 2:32 PM

Mike, - I really don't understand why you want images of a PDF file. Isn't it better to keep it as PDF?

9/28/2011 at 2:43 PM

No, there are many places where a thumbnail images is preferable.

Private User
9/28/2011 at 2:44 PM

Just use the PDF icon

9/28/2011 at 3:08 PM

The image lets you view the document within the context of the GENI document viewer. You can still view (or download) the original PDF from the viewer.

Private User
9/28/2011 at 7:44 PM

I just did a spot check of my PDF documents and it looks like the little red "X" is gone in Safari and the over-written titles in Firefox are also gone. YAY! Thank you!

I don't have many PDFs with multiple pages, but it looks like the pages do appear in the wrong order (as mentioned by Catherine). Not a big problem for me since I have so few, but thought I'd mention it since other people seem to be having that problem also.

9/29/2011 at 6:51 PM

My biggest problem with the out-of-order pages is that I plan to tag them, and I don't want the tags to be related to the page number and be on the wrong pages when the pages do get back to the right order.

9/29/2011 at 6:51 PM

Also that many of my PDFs push the 50-page limit, so when they are out of order, it's hard to find the page I'm after anyway.

9/29/2011 at 8:34 PM

Erin as long as you're tagging in the individual pages, it won't put them out of order -- fixing the order won't change the ID of the tagged page, just the order of the page IDs.

9/30/2011 at 5:06 AM

Sweet! Thanks.

Showing 1-30 of 48 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion