Geni Pro Just Got a Whole Lot Better

Started by Private User on Thursday, August 11, 2011

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 61-90 of 1836 posts
Private User
8/12/2011 at 5:02 PM

I share the same sentiments as Pam. Thank you.

8/12/2011 at 5:30 PM

I too would like to give a big shout out to Anita M. Boynton Anita your post too was well expressed, only one correction there were 58 million profiles, quite an undertaking wasn't it?

8/12/2011 at 6:33 PM

Thanks Angus....I knew it was a lot, but didn't want to overstate it...guess I understated by quite a bit, and yes, that is QUITE an undertaking.

To those of you who didn't quite agree with me.... I totally respect everyone's right to have thoughts and offer suggestions...I have offered a few to Geni myself. My complaint is the repeated "why did you do this to me?" whining WITHOUT offering any options or appearing to have any flexibility in their views. Offer a solution to go along with your complaints, and we will all benefit from reading your posts.

As for my thought that those who pay for Pro will offer more...true, we may not be any more knowledgeable, but.....if you are fortunate enough to be able to pay for Pro in this poor economy (at least in the US), then my hope and prayer is that you are spending that extra money on something you are passionate about, care about, and is important to you, and not something that is just a pastime or "fun" for a few weeks.

I received two "I am done and out of Geni" emails from users I was working on projects with...projects that now will not go anywhere with any speed...because one day after a change is announced they walk away.

Change is good, if you are willing to let it be and flexible enough to run with it. If you can't , or won't, accept the change, then change is bad and will eventually push you out.

8/12/2011 at 7:22 PM

Correction Angus Wood-Salomon

It was @ 58 mil in the world tree, but there were @ 100 mill profiles that were affected on all of Geni.

Ether way, it's a lot of data.

8/12/2011 at 7:25 PM

Oye!!!

8/13/2011 at 2:31 AM

@Arthur Simon Northam Leech - I can't agree with you more. I, too, started as a Basic member. While I often found myself frustrated, due to the limitations of that membership, I still felt that I was a participant in creating the World Tree and, like you, I really like the interface.

@Judi / Judith Elaine Mc Kee - Like you, I hope that Geni will rethink their current position, but I also hope you will stay on Geni and give them a chance. It's far to early, I feel, to abandon ship, as the changes were meant to help solve problems, not to cause them. While I will wait before inviting more people to Geni, I have no desire to delete profiles from the tree, since these represent not only my relatives, but the relatives of my collaborators.

@Pamela Susan Wilson and @George Robert Gearhart - Thank you, for your supportive comments.

@Anita Marie Boynton - Thank you, for your reasoned response and for your explanation of some of your concerns. I understand that you feel frustrated by the many people who were unable to offer any alternatives to the changes they dislike, other than, "Put it back the way it was." The thing is, when people are suddenly presented with changes that they feel affect them negatively, that is almost the only response possible. Unless one has been involved in software development and user design, being able to see beyond the immediate problem to a solution is rarely easy. Even when one has that background—which, as a technical writer, I do—jumping in with suggestions for yet more changes at this point seems counterproductive.

In my initial response to your comments, I had actually started to offer some suggestions, but even before I'd completed typing out the first of these, I realized that my ideas went far beyond the scope of this discussion and might have consequences for Geni and its members that I couldn't fully anticipate. So, I deleted that part of my comments. I would love to participate in a discussion of features that might improve Geni, but I'm not sure this is the best place to do so, since this discussion thread is a response to a very particular situation.

Perhaps the most relevant suggestion I could offer would be for Geni to solicit feedback from its members, both Pro and Basic, about what they want the service to be. Personally, I'd like to see a loosening of the restrictions on Basic members, and improvements to the interface and the database to help prevent some of the merge issues that the Geni staff and curators work so diligently to correct. I understand your position that coming up with the money to purchase a Pro membership suggests a passion for the work, but I'm very certain that even in this economy there are many people who don't hesitate to plunk down the membership fee, while even in the best economy there are others who scrimp and save to be able to do so. The depths of our pocketbooks vary, so that what is easy for some, is difficult for others.

One of my ideas is that a tiered approach to permissions might be helpful. With such an approach, as people demonstrate their ability to handle profiles appropriately, they are allowed more responsibility. Unfortunately, I suspect that it might be difficult to work such a system into the business model, which is one reason I hesitated to bring this idea into this discussion.

Well, it's gotten quite late for me, and I have to get off the computer if I'm going to get any sleep at all, tonight. Goodnight. I hope you all sleep/slept well and that we can find a way to work this out that meets everyone's needs.

<private> Baldwin
8/13/2011 at 10:51 AM

Personally, I work (or DID) with a lot of non-Pros.....I would put a lot of their work up against SOME Pro's anyday.....

I have at least 2 that would put almost anyone to shame for the information that they have and have entered.....and a heck of a lot of others who have been invaluable in not only MAKING that link to another branch or marital connection or enhancing it....

It was no easy task for me to gather the funds to go Pro in the beginning..I ony had to discontinue my newspaper subscription, netflix, and change to a all-service plan for cable, internet, and phone that was cheaper than paying for each separately..and of couse transfer balances on a couple of credit cards to -0-% cards to save on monthly payments......but not everyone on limited incomes can do that..

So those people who have spend years on their trees, I spent 30 myself, on paper, (and my father for 50 years before me)....and who have given their knowledge freely seem to be getting the short end of the stick...

This is my opinion, of course...but it is hard for me not to believe that some consideration (by volume, ACCURACY, activity) might not earn them something better than cutting them off at the knees.

8/13/2011 at 11:09 AM

It's always an interesting conversation when folks that got something for free, suddenly find out they will need to pay. I would imagine that this has always been part of the Geni business model. It's really common to see sites be free while they are starting up and then go paid later on. So, no surprise here from me.

I do have a suggestion though, maybe there could be a "family subscription" on Pro? Amazon lets you share your Amazon Prime with family members. It could be Geni Family Pro and cost a bit more with the added value of being able to share it with family members. I would pay for that..

Private User
8/13/2011 at 11:19 AM

Thank you Fay Baldwin for such a eloquent and heartfelt post!

Private User
8/13/2011 at 1:12 PM

Fay this is a lot of us that are involved with Geni, opinion. I am seeing it a lot more in the postings. I may not have degrees but I have hands on knowledge that I've acquired over at least 30 years of doing this. I am quit capable of ferreting out info all on my ones. personally I think it's more fun doing it my way!
Like you and many others as you know from our emails, I am having my problems. I am just hanging in there. I have worked all my life. Over 40 years. Mostly in business but the last 17 in retail. I want to retire and enjoy working on my Genealogy full time but it ain't happening this year. Just had to cancel my retirement for another year. Just the cost of gas and food and rent 's enough to kill ya And Judith /Judi I know exactly how you feel. I have so much info I could write a book on my family. Judy Loubris Mc Carthy.

Private User
8/13/2011 at 4:12 PM

I would like to COMPLETELY, WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree with Fay Baldwin. Since I do a lot of research using Geni, and I do NOT have a paid membership, and now I can no longer research using Geni.....well, I may just stay off of Geni altogether. Sad! I've found Fay (a PRO and a cousin of mine) and another user/relative (who is not a Pro) using Geni, and it looks like I may not connect to anyone else here again....SAD!

Private User
8/13/2011 at 5:02 PM

Private User

You are my 15th cousin. Our common ancestor is a Musgrove, who may or may not be related to the Musgrave family in County Cheshire.

There is so much work to do, so much knowledge to reveal, and share. I believe Geni will work through its growing pains and be able to continue this grand collaborative adventure.

Mungo Musgrave

8/13/2011 at 6:18 PM

Private User - you are my 9th cousin. Our shared ancestor is:

Joseph Underwood

Private User
8/13/2011 at 6:18 PM

Hi, Erica! I saw your tree info and from that I entered you into my tree on Ancestry.com. In that tree we are 14th cousins once removed. I prefer ancestry anyway. Too many things you cannot do in Geni - even before this "improved" version. I'll check things from time to time, but I don't think I'll be adding any more info to my tree here. Thanks for your concern! And for showing me another relative - YOU! I'm hoping we can become collaborators - and friends!

Sharon

Private User
8/13/2011 at 6:49 PM

Always. I'm on a Musgrove / Musgrave hunt and now maybe you'll get interested, too.

Private User
8/13/2011 at 7:23 PM

Private User Ashley Odell Marvin Caulk, (C) as i can no longer add new data i see no reason to remain.. it doesn't look like they will change it back so i am going to download a geo and call it a day.. gonna decide tommrow if i want to leave for good... i have no way of paying for pro-member ship on my fixed income..

Private User
8/13/2011 at 8:00 PM

Private User

You do realize you can contribute and enrich the data on your lines (which are also my lines)? There is so much more documenting needed to ensure a quality tree. I could totally use your help in that.

Private User
8/13/2011 at 8:18 PM

well.. i can't add any new people.. so whats the point? any one other then my 3rd great grandpa and 4th cousin and closer it won't let me add

Private User
8/13/2011 at 8:19 PM

but i suppose i could help with your data but i don't see how.. much of what i allready have you know... unless i missed something... which could be true

Private User
8/13/2011 at 8:21 PM

Private User what parts do you need info on? I have a site which i will send you the link to that i found that might help fill in the gaps.. i think i allready sent it but will do so again...

Private User
8/13/2011 at 8:26 PM

Evey single profile needs to be documented with accurate sources and information, and I believe you can help do that for your collaborators.

For instance, I show us together in the Griswald / Greswald lines:

http://www.geni.com/path/Erica+Isabel+Howton+Volunteer+Curator+is+r...

There's no way I can get this all done. Would you consider helping the documentation effort?

Private User
8/13/2011 at 8:40 PM

i will see what i can find and share about those people listed but remember i can't add.. only can add people according to geni... any one other then my 3rd great grandpa and 4th cousin and closer..

8/13/2011 at 8:53 PM

@Beth Marie Beeman
Anita M. Boynton
and others
You might want to read this and maybe reconsider your statements

http://www.tamurajones.net/Geni.comGrumblings.xhtml

8/13/2011 at 9:07 PM

To bad, It basically tells the story about Geni from the start and how they have reneged on many of the things they promised. Is this a case of 'my mind is made up, dont confuse me with facts"?

Private User
8/14/2011 at 12:14 AM

Judith/Judi I have several lines one in particular that I have been compiling a lot of info on. Probate, birth death , marriage. family stories, newspaper references , pictures ete but as yet haven't put it together in book form. Once I do they will be a matter of public record for everyone to read.The historical end has pretty much been written about. Geni has pretty much beaten there history to death. I don't think I can add anything to that. And I don't care to. Much more interested in local connections. It's nice to know you are connected to all these fascinating people way in the pat and what there lives were like but plenty of books are out there with all the info. I'd rather know why certain members of the family came to America. Why did they leave there homes and venture into an unknown world. Plus I am very interested in Native American side. Very difficult to find info. This is one of my big quest at the moment plus one lost Parker. We know who he was and a lot about him but what happened to him. Big mystery! Just know who his wife re married. Plus the Loubris side is really stalled at my great great grandparents.On both side it's stalled. Need a passport in order to go to Canada for Vellequette and Hoy and Belgium for Loubris. That cost money so it will have to wait. Might make it to Canada but Europe more than likely no. Such is life!

Private User
8/14/2011 at 6:15 AM

At the moment I'm more interested in members of my familytree, who emigrated to NZ and USA from Denmark, than I'm interested in working with the very old historical profiles. What life did the emigrants get over there or down under? Was it better than the one here in Denmark? And the voyage could be a story by itself if you are lucky to find information about it.
- But at the same time it's very funny to find out that your grandmother had viking-genes. I found out about that outside Geni. But it's very interesting to see all the Danes in here with the same relations. And that you are a part of the very old Danish story.
To work with that part of the big tree HISTORICAL AND NATIONAL KNOWLEDGE are a must. And Geni has to face that fact :-)

8/14/2011 at 7:55 AM

It is your choice as a user whether you stay or leave, choose to adapt to the change and learn to live with it or not, devote yourself to a world tree or not. All the posts to discussions in the world are not going to change who you basically are...someone who can adapt to change, or someone who can't. Only you can make that decision.

8/14/2011 at 7:55 AM

Please stop tagging me in this discussion.

Private User
8/14/2011 at 10:32 AM

Anita it isn't a case of being able to adapted . It is a case of do you want to. Not all change is good. if all followed all we'd be is a bunch of robots or zombies! And I don't mean Geni Zombies! We are not all the same and why should we be. maybe the ones who won't or can't adapted will cause more changes. Geni is losing people. This not good if want to have world dominance of the family tree. Watch yourselves big brother is watching! Here's a novel idea . If you don't want to be tagged and you continued to be tagged don't read it. delete it! I don't read everything I get. i read what I choose to read and respond if I choose to!

Private User
8/14/2011 at 10:43 AM

Henry I like you am at the moment more interested in my local roots and how they originally got here and maybe some of there info from the old country. As far historical goes geni seems to want to take over and control so let them. I don't care . I know what I know and I am sure if I want to I can find out more the old fashioned way. I put in what I knew and most of it's been re configured by the Pros and other people. Can't be bored anymore. They appear to think that they so much more qualified and superior so go to it. Knock themselves out on the Historical ones.

Showing 61-90 of 1836 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion