. . . a single, collaborative world family tree . . .

Started by Peter De Bie on Friday, August 12, 2011

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 181-210 of 514 posts
Private User
11/4/2011 at 8:26 AM

Ek geebruik ook PRO vandat dit uitgekom het en is glad nie gelukkig met hierdie hele idee nie.
I have invited and even got peple to ratehr use Geni than another site, and now, this.
Dit is "mispaaste advertensie". Free family tree -se voet.

Private User
11/4/2011 at 8:28 AM

Another thing. I have been Legacy for quite a few years. That is one fantastic tool. Dank je Fred en almal - van die Suid Afrikaanse Afrikaans sprekende.

11/4/2011 at 10:34 AM

Something tells me that, at the current rate of change across the spectrum, there is a very high possibility that Geni is going to cease to exist in a few (a handful, several?) years.

11/4/2011 at 11:55 AM

Judi, I think it's time for REAL action. ;-)

11/5/2011 at 3:38 PM

According to: https://www.geni.com/pro/compare?id=1033762&return_action=index...
the pro-membership is the most popular. I can't believe there are more pro than basic users now.

11/5/2011 at 7:37 PM

Peter, I guess that is confusing, now that Basic is an option on that "Choose Membership" screen. The 1-year and 2-year Pro subscriptions are the most popular among people who subscribe to a premium membership.

11/6/2011 at 1:52 AM

Now people who want to build a family tree with more than 100 profiles go to other sites, which - still - are n/c.

11/6/2011 at 2:00 AM

As for the hefty price increases, don't forget that as a Pro one can still - in time - download a full Gedcom tree and keep it as a back-up or even upload up to 100k on My Heritage, if being a full member there. I use both anyway, because I have found out that I get a lot of info available only on one site, which I can then transfer to the other site. Yes, it does cost more money to have a dual membership and yes, it means a lot of more work to maintain both, but at least it gives a lot more security, your work will not be dumped in case of some disaster...

That said, no doubt there will be some consolidation in the on-line ancestor tree business during the next few years to come. Actually we have already seen some of that and it seems obvious, that not all of the current ventures will survive by themselves. /SW

11/6/2011 at 2:01 AM

Well...there is always the possibility that someone in the big tree invites someone to join and there is no need to start a new tree.

11/6/2011 at 2:47 AM

Sure, and that's most likely what happens in 9 out of 10 cases here. Happened to me, when my nephew first discovered Geni, did a 10 persons initial family tree and invited me. That's how I got interested 2 years ago, when I barely had a clue about my anscestors and relatives beyond my grand parents. By now I am considered THE expert on these matters :) /SW

11/7/2011 at 6:47 AM

Yah the huge price jump for both plus and pro membership is what is going to discourage many people, myself included, from jumping for the paid membership. There are other sites out there with more documentary information (think Ancestry.com and Footnotes) that may not have had the historic and intellectual integrity Geni did but cost a lot less. The least expensive option for a paid membership to Geni at the moment is 75$ for that same 75$ I could get year long membership for two other sites!

What I liked about Geni, is the collaborative effort and the projects! Right now I believe that part is still free; even if what I can do as a basic user in that collaboration has been significantly stiffled. As far as I know I can still start and manage new projects, take place in discussions, add profiles I manage to projects, add new documents to projects, and generally make myself useful. I know with the new media limit on free accounts, I may eventually not be able to add new things to Geni as I find them; however, 99% of the time the projects I work on have very active Curators and Pro users who I'm sure could add documents and pictures and such to the projects and individual profiles for me if the time ever came.

So for me, while the change is a tad frustrating it does not prevent me from doing what I want to.*

(*Save that the paid accounts that I once considered upgrading for have become price prohibitive. With the economy the way that it is, and the discontent caused by the changes with in the general user base, Geni may want to reconsider that price structure.)

11/7/2011 at 1:12 PM

Actually I also hold a 2 years fully paid membership at ancestry.com as well. I have used it a lot in connection with the US parts of our tree and forest, but so far I have never uploaded our tree information to create a tree there. Because that would indeed call for a full 24/7 committment to the tres only with very little time left for eating, drinking and sleeping, albeit time left for any real work.../SW

11/8/2011 at 2:27 AM

In europe they thought they had to copy American ways of becoming rich and than the professor in university told US about sales, after-sales, marketing and other non-communicating, but very profijtelijke aspects of life, you know? But we forgot to give an exchange in SERVICES, and thats what the OLD World is about, also knowadays when a foreign president visits an European Mom-Queens and doesn't even know to wait for the National Hymne to drink a toast. Luckily that queens had been taught eti-quette, so she wispered in the micro something very kinde....

11/8/2011 at 2:31 AM

... sorry, it's not services, but egalite, fraternite, liberte... George J. Homs, would you mind to help me with the French toetsenbord, want ik kan die accenten en cedilles nog steeds niet vinden op 'n amerikaans bedacht en weet-ik-waar gefabriceerd systeem met world-wide afzetmarkt-dromen. trouwens, er staat hier koffie koud te worden.

11/8/2011 at 2:54 AM

IMHO Geni team has very low funds to keep the site up and makes desperate steps to force people to pay....or someone just discovered a way of business. First the site was advertised as worlds largest FREE family tree, but now its worlds most expensive family tree and free users are strangled with 100 profiles, that could as well be on a paper in desk drawer. No new "customers" because of the limits or existing free users are forced to become inactive and PRO users are exhausted and become desperate of clearing up the mess, because all the work is left to them. What has become of collaboration? There are lots of "free users" who are most likely experts in some way, but they are poor and can´t contribute in making the tree although they could add information. There will be less and less free users from whom PRO users could ask for accurate information. That´s really the opposite of the idea that was first. If money gets involved then all the good things have come to an end sooner or later. That´s a shame, really!

11/8/2011 at 3:13 AM

not collaboration, but co-operation should be the key-word for modern bankers....

11/8/2011 at 3:16 AM

I will start a typical Dutch project about my Publishers-Debuut:
'Netwerken als levend weefsel' ISBN 90-806303-1-4 NUGI 659 - written by an author who wanted to buy his own copyright back, so I'm not in the position to copy his text, but will try to type the summary again, ok?

11/8/2011 at 3:20 AM

sorry, even the Titel is his, so my project will be about: How can vivid tissue comes to networking & co-operation? Also a more appropriate titel for a Biologist with communicating skills like me, who did not have life-time-&-o- euro-money to make a dissertation on/at the Agricultural University of WAGENINGEN, the Netherlands, Europe with world-wide knowledge-transfer initiatives.

Private User
11/8/2011 at 10:50 AM

(sorry for Caps Lock but I think it is that important)

PRO MEMBERS - PLEASE DO NOT MERGE WITH ANY PROFILES UNLESS _ALL_ MANAGERS OF THAT PROFILE ARE ALSO PRO MEMBERS OR ARE ALREADY OVER 1,000 FAMILY MEMBERS.

I just was proposing a merge and realized that if the person whose tree I was going to connect to only had a few dozen profiles, I would be blocking them from adding any additional profiles unless they become Plus/Pro. After checking I saw that they already are over the 1000 limit, so I went ahead and made the request. But I see this as potentially extraordinarily burdensome to have to verify for every potential merge. It might be a good idea to not perform ANY merges unless the profile is already connected to the World Tree.

Private User
11/8/2011 at 11:37 AM

Private User
........but they are poor and can´t contribute in making ......... Jaak Tulp
I'm sorry, that comment is not valid.
If I were Bill Gates and make me a different thing to the contract, not only the place but I'd put all my sharks lawyers in the FFCC, and any organization that defends the consumer.

11/8/2011 at 12:35 PM

Chuck...is that a bug you just described or ment to be so? Free users should be able to add 100 profiles no matter how many managers are in the tree they are connected to. At least i think it should be fair.

Enrique, i´m not sure i understood the point. Different thing? Contract? Why it is not valid. There are users who know a lot and there are not so many users who can pay to add the information, but they have not so good knowledge. So what can you do about it? Should PRO users contact all free users from their closest relatives and take their information to add it? How to exchange information? The tree could grow many times as fast when all people could add profiles. Yeah..now it´s time to clear the tree of duplicates. I agree that merging should be right of PRO-s, but now the tree "dries up".

Private User
11/8/2011 at 1:51 PM

Jaak.

That is not a bug - it is intentional. If you merge a basic member to a tree containing over 100 profiles, you have forced him to become a Pro member before he can do anything else. Wasn't that thoughtful of you?

I would recommend that all basic members make all of their profiles private to ensure that the merge cannot be completed.

Private User
11/8/2011 at 2:04 PM

If you merge a Geni Plus member into a tree containing over 1000 profiles, you have prevented them from doing anything else - but they must still pay the subscription, which you have made worthless.

I have received a woeful complaint already.

Private User
11/8/2011 at 2:10 PM

Ken

I do not appreciate a call to make my ancestors private.

You and I are not in a similar position in Geni, but we do know each other well enough to respect the value ALL of us have put into this site.

Allow members their own choices, please, as adults, who can make their own decisions when encountered with a merge request.

Thank you.

11/8/2011 at 2:14 PM

OK and so we have lots of little trees in the end and collaboration has become pointless. I agree that if the limitation remains then it is a crime to merge anyone, but PRO in the big tree. That is painful to accept.

Private User
11/8/2011 at 2:19 PM

Erica.

You are already on the world tree so the problem does not arise for you. A person with their own unconnected tree is in a different position altogether.

Private User
11/8/2011 at 2:23 PM

If the person with an unconnected tree has made the profiles public, there will be no merge request - sucked into the world tree and stymied, whether they like it or not.

11/8/2011 at 2:28 PM

Give entry level the possibility of creating a little tree of say 100 profiles. That exclusive tree should be private with two way protection to and from the world tree. Inside no matches are made to orofiles outside and vice versa, full isolation. Upgrading to the next (paid) level the manager of his private tree should be given the option of opening it up to the world tree - or not.

/SW

Private User
11/8/2011 at 2:32 PM

Sten.

I agree, but that protection is not available right now - hence the recommendation of keeping the profiles private, until something like that eventuates.

11/8/2011 at 2:34 PM

Private User you said, "If the person with an unconnected tree has made the profiles public, there will be no merge request - sucked into the world tree and stymied, whether they like it or not."

The release last week updated this scenario so that a merge request is created if the user is in an unconnected tree no matter if the profiles or public or private.

Showing 181-210 of 514 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion