Expand the collaboration pool to a MERGE POOL for basis/free users

Started by Private User on Friday, August 12, 2011

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 77 posts
Private User
8/12/2011 at 11:24 PM

Now free users has the problem not to be able to do own merges and pro users can do all users, I propose to the collaborative pro users to help the basic users with their nerge requests.
If basis users want to merge two profiles they can use the mergetool and add one of the two profiles to the collaboration pool project. Pro users who want to help can see the mergerequests then in their mergecenter under this project I suppose and execute these requestst if they agree with that.

Not everybody knows the mergetool, for that reason I mention the mergetool here:

http://www.geni.com/merge/compare/1stID?return=match%3B&to=2ndID

copy this to word, replace the 1stID and the 2ndID by the numbers of the profiles to be merged, copy the mergetool to the addressfield, enter, accept the merge

Private User
8/13/2011 at 2:41 AM

Thanks Fred.

The "mergetool" as you call it can be simplified to

http://www.geni.com/merge/compare/1stID?to=2ndID

Unfortunately, free users cannot follow your instructions, they can copy the mergetool to the addressfield, enter, but cannot then accept the merge.

Not only cannot free users complete the merge; they cannot set it up either.

So adding one of the two profiles to the project won't help; the merge will not show.

Best they can do is copy the mergerequest to a project discussion.

Like this

http://www.geni.com/merge/compare/6000000000517523403?to=6000000000...

Private User
8/13/2011 at 2:57 AM

David thanks !
The mergerequests have then to be copied to the Curator service, which allready during a long time gives this service:
ATTENTION Curators, please assist
http://www.geni.com/discussions/80793

Private User
8/13/2011 at 3:02 AM

Fred, pardon me if I am wrong, but I thought maybe one of the intents of allowing all PROs to merge was to take some of the load off curators, so that they can get on with more important things than merges?

Private User
8/13/2011 at 3:11 AM

I suppose different curators have different focuses. I would rather use curator tools to work with managers on sourcing and untangling complex lineages.

Private User
8/13/2011 at 3:43 AM

Private User, the intents I don't know, but what it caused is clear to me.
If we want to take off the load of curators and of course curators want that, then we have to start here a Collaboration Pool Discussion: PRO USERS PLEASE DO THE MERGE-REQUESTS OF NON PRO USERS !

Private User
8/13/2011 at 6:00 AM

Yes Fred I fully agree with that.

What it caused is not however yet fully clear to me. I think there is a lot of dust yet to settle. I think the full effects are not yet fully understood.

Private User
8/13/2011 at 6:12 AM
8/13/2011 at 6:58 AM

David you said..
==
David Prins
Today at 9:00 AM
Yes Fred I fully agree with that.

What it caused is not however yet fully clear to me. I think there is a lot of dust yet to settle. I think the full effects are not yet fully understood.
==

I will repeat your words

"I THINK THERE IS A LOT DUST YET TO SETTLE. I THINK THE FULL EFFECTS ARE NOT YET FULLY UNDERSTOOD."

Very wise words...now only if some of us would follow that advice.

8/13/2011 at 8:36 AM

I just wanted to say that as a "free user" i am very angry and disappointed that i cannot even confirm merge of profiles that i manage myself (that is what is sent to me). That is no privilege, that is duty. What will the effects be - i think most of free users will become owners of abandon trees, because all they can do is managing profiles they manage so far, that is solving conflicting data and adding information to the profiles they manage. I have head that some users loose their management and become observers - don´t know if thats true or not.

Private User
8/13/2011 at 9:08 AM

Hell, I can't entirely manage profiles that I manage and created. I was unable to create a test father for a direct ancestor born in the 1700s.

8/13/2011 at 11:38 AM

This is all very overwhelming for me. I will bid adieu, since my presence on Geni isn't productive anymore. I am disappointed and frustrated at this abrupt change in venue. My work is incomplete and I am unable to finish it. I'll be back occasionally to collect information to build my tree elsewhere. I have doubts that Geni will endure.

Private User
8/13/2011 at 11:51 AM

Darcia Gallt
This measures does have such opposition that I believe they will be changed, so come back regularly to see the pull back !

8/13/2011 at 12:40 PM

If folks want Pro users to complete their merges, it would be most considerate if the non-Pro uses might help out by including dates and places of birth and death of the individuals they wish to merge. That would help immensely.

8/13/2011 at 12:53 PM

The second folks could do to facilitate a rationalization of the tree would be a practice that has been adopted by myself and my family's collaborators with great success, and no downside, as follows:

1. Anyone who is alive, we make a private profile.

2. Anyone who is deceased, that has living sons or daughters, we make private.

3. Anyone who is deceased, and has no living sons or daughters, we make public.

This practice solves the "mother's maiden name" problem, and we have used the practice without complaint in over 16,000 profiles to date.

8/13/2011 at 12:55 PM

An example. My mother and her only sibling, a sister, are deceased. Since my aunt's children and I are living, my mother and her sister are private. However, my mother's parents, who have no living children, are public.

8/13/2011 at 1:35 PM

I totally agree with you, Adam! Bravo! What has become of the basic idea of Geni - collaboration? A total farce! IMHO this is about collaboration where all participants should be able to help. Why should some kind of "my cow´s uncle´s son" (very far relative) confirm someone´s duplicate profile from another continent or nation. People who know each other should help each other - that is who accepted to collaborate or be in family group with each other. The abandon trees are a problem, but curators are able to deal with them - so please stop the changes unless there will be another big bang in some of the servers. Well...i have a hunch that the change has been made to take off load off the servers...too many users?? :)))

8/13/2011 at 3:04 PM

@Adam Brown: re: "Anyone who is alive, we make a private profile..."
The caveat I would add to this is that -- based on either birth/death year (if specified) or a certain number of generations from the "leaf" (if no year is specified), then the profile is made Public (no choice, at least by non-Pro user).

Otherwise, I can continue to build a "private tree" by just never marking anyone deceased -- and I don't think that fits within the vision of Geni.com (use a private tool, if that's what you desire ... there are a number of nice free ones).

With that minor modification to your three "rules" (which simply makes it difficult to circumvent those "rules"), I like them.

By the way, that "forcing profiles public when likely deceased for at least one previous generation" (for a poorly worded naming of this "corollary") would really (in my view) eliminate the need to restrict the basic / non-Pro user from creating as many generations as they desire -- since any Pro / Curator user could then merge them into "real" profiles as necessary.

FYI: A lot of this discussion makes a HUGE assumption that Pro users are operating with some integrity about the "correctness" of this "world family" tree. Paying a fee does not necessarily equate with an attitude of integrity.

8/14/2011 at 1:56 AM

SO THATS WHY IT CRASHED...

Prior to the "big outage" geni staff were getting their servers and stuff ready for a major change of rules. The server on the other hand didn't want to go along with it and committed suicide!

8/14/2011 at 2:10 AM

LOL....@Karl. I couldn´t have said it any better.

8/14/2011 at 8:15 AM

As the person with the unfortunate job of presiding over the recovery from the database failure, I can assure that it was legitimate. Several of us worked around the clock to restore the data as quickly as possible.

The Pro / permissions changes required very little engineering effort.

Private User
8/14/2011 at 8:29 AM

And you did well Mike, you and the others!
I mean the first part.;-)

8/14/2011 at 8:43 AM

Oh, Mike, that's great news! If the second part required little engineering, a reversal is probably easy as well ;-)

Private User
8/14/2011 at 9:01 AM

LOL George, you're right, Mike gave great news!

8/14/2011 at 9:37 AM

Don't shoot me, Michael, it's YOU who said it (and thanks for provoking that, Jennie LOL)

Private User
8/14/2011 at 9:54 AM

you're welcome George! We both made Mike happy LOL

8/14/2011 at 11:37 AM

I must have missed something. There is a 'merge' tool? Tried your method and was told I was not authorized (Well, well?) Would someone PLEASE walk me through this minefield as I am lost...

Thanks,
Alyson

Private User
8/14/2011 at 1:32 PM

Alyson Breuer (Banks) you have not to execute the mergetool but to copy the mergetool to this discussion http://www.geni.com/discussions/99133

8/14/2011 at 2:04 PM

Thanks, Fred.
Do you mean the Geni 'address' of the comparison profiles needs to be brought to this discussion in a post ? What exactly is meant by mergetool and where do I go to take a look at any explanations out there for what is involved? People have told me I am supposed to be able to 'merge' but it is the blind leading the blind in my case.
What happened to the supposed ability of a Pro to handle merges -- I subscribed but cannot see how this operates at all...
Alyson

Private User
8/14/2011 at 2:12 PM

Alyson because you are a pro you can all public profiles merge yourself.

Every profile has a profile ID that can be seen in the browser destination link. If you look that the browser URL (starts with http://www.geni.com/), you'll see a profile ID in the link. For example, your profile URL is http://www.geni.com/people/Alyson-Banks/ 6000000002814486502

This IDnumber is useful. Open up the two profiles that you want to merge and note the profile ID on the two profiles (If there are two, it will be the first one. If you had linked through another profile it will have ID?through=ID. It's the first ID.).

Copy the below URL into a new browser tab, but don't click go or hit enter.

http://www.geni.com/merge/compare/ID1?to=ID2

Replace ID1 with the IDnumber of the first profile and ID2 with the IDnumber of the second profile. Then click go / hit enter. This should bring you a page that compares the two profiles, which you should be able to confirm the match for merge.

Showing 1-30 of 77 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion