I am very disappointed with GENI

Started by Nurit Gillath on Monday, August 15, 2011

Participants:

Showing all 18 posts
8/15/2011 at 2:52 AM

I would like to open this discussion and ask you to join me and express your voice as to thet the changes that GENI management "inflicted" on the non-paying members. I think the worst changes for me are that I cannot merge nor search names, anything I try to do is greeted by an ad to join Geni-Pro. Would I have known that the conditions of the non paying membeers would be changed I would not have invested endless hours on my Tree and inviting my family and friends to join. I somehow feel betrayed.

If Geni needs more paying customers its fine with me but why on my expense? Why worsen the terms of use of the "old" users, why not start it with the newcomers who have no yet invested zillions of hours and can decide if they still want to join? They simply would not join I guess.

Well, I shall have to consider my steps. I might even delete totally my Tree and transfer the contents to another more accommodating genealogy site.

8/15/2011 at 3:18 AM

I guess they are following im My Heritage steps. It's pretty much the same there.

Private User
8/15/2011 at 4:18 AM

I did give a recommendation to leaving dutch users to take a look at http://www.werelate.org/wiki/Main_Page with equal rights for all users, technical much better than Geni, but unfortunately, very very small, about 2,000,000 profiles

8/15/2011 at 4:39 AM

HIM Crowned (Anointed) Prince Corey of Lake Desposyni U.E. (Grail keeper) - Lets hope that your last sentence will come true soon
;-)

8/15/2011 at 5:22 AM

I searched how I can make a GEDcom, but I couldn't find it. They changed this possibility too?

8/15/2011 at 5:30 AM

Yes I have searched too how to make a GEDCOM maybe they anticipated that many of us will try to leave with our "treasures" so they put a stop to it. I do hope that the guy who decided to take GENI to court will succeed.
Thank you all for your comments.

Mauritz
8/15/2011 at 6:07 AM
8/15/2011 at 6:38 AM

I have transfered a SA tree of 119000 SA profiles to my Legacy pgm. I am working on this now. I will watch Geni to see which way I will go.

8/16/2011 at 1:37 AM

Dear Marion, I am afraid non of us can read Dutch, is there a way you could translate it ?
Thanks.

8/16/2011 at 1:52 AM

Corey I'm concerned that your (understandable) disappointment is leading you toward inadvisable accusations. I'd be happy to discuss this with you in private, if you'd care to send me an Inbox message.

Private User
8/16/2011 at 2:00 AM

@Nurit Gillath

that is Danish not Dutch !
Google translate gives:
It was like you I joined,

pretend not to be toll-
and so now this
Yes you could write, change to any new arrivals
had to pay
it can not be right for all the hours that are put here feels
as a stand somewhere and laughing out loud

8/16/2011 at 2:34 AM

Hello my dear Nurit.
I am also disappointed about this new "laws" introduced to the protocol.
When I began to gather all the info about my descended family, I did it for a purpose: Should my relatives have the opportunity to construct further the tree without difficulty. I was convinced that all is free of charge.
Better Geni consider to withdraw all this inconvenience and continue to serve our family members. Their measures are not contributing to bring people together, but I am afraid the opposite will occur.
Today is a "must" to keep the seed of the society united.
Thank you Nurit for having the initiative to bring up this issue.

8/16/2011 at 2:45 AM

I have felt uncomfortable with Geni from day 1 and thus chose not to invest my energy or money in that direction. Myheritage, though after a certain tree size require payment, are very reliable, allow you to produce Gedcoms and in general are very friendly and helpful. Now I am even happier that I chose them!

Liora

Private User
8/16/2011 at 2:56 AM

Does MyHeritage have one common collaborative worldwide tree ? doesn't also ask MyHeritage regularly to upgrade your account and to pay extra for more profiles to be downloaded ?

8/16/2011 at 5:08 AM

No. They don't have that feature but one is free to create a Gedcom and upload it to, for example, FTJP - Family Tree of the Jewish People of JewishGen or such. One of the reasons I felt uncomfortable with Geni IS the freedom people have with changing data on a family tree and possibly entering wrong data on top of the correct data I worked so hard to find. Regarding payment - one is free to choose one of three options - work on a "Free" package for small trees, regilar for middle size trees and premium for very large trees - but you know that in advance, it is all clear and upfront and you can choose the package that best suits you. I started with a Free package and found very quickly that I need more space so, willingly paid for Premium option. I knew that it might happen and never felt that I was taken advantage of.

8/16/2011 at 6:52 AM

Hej
jeg er dansk

og kan ikke skrive engelsk

oversætter jeres på Google translate

dog går der en del tabt ved oversættelse

Oversættelse fra Dansk til Engelsk

It was like you I joined,

pretend to be toll-

and so now this
Yes you could write, change to any new
had to pay
it can not be right for all the hours that are put here feels
as a stand somewhere and laughing out loud

Private User
8/16/2011 at 7:09 AM

I think new terms that strip most features from new users are ridiculous. Let's be honest, family-tree building only interest certain people, who would be willing to spend time and money on this. Most others, who are invited to add to or fix the existing tree, will not bother to participate if they have to pay for this.

Before I upgraded to the Pro version, I added/edited and searched a lot of people. Had I not done so, most likely I wouldn't have joined Geni.

By the way, why did Geni remove the ability to add to the family right from the screen without viewing the tree? It was such a cool feature.

Here are my suggestions:

1. Offer at least a 30-day free trial with previous features to give people a taste of this. Internet companies did that in the 1990s.

2. After that, allow people to search new records, update the existing ones, but not add.

Private User
8/16/2011 at 8:16 AM

Cory, I don't think this is the right place to communicate with the Geni staff.
This looks like a show and I think that by doing this this way, the distance between you and the Geni staff will be bigger and bigger.

Showing all 18 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion