Uploading a Gedcom file???

Started by Kathleen Wood on Monday, August 15, 2011

Participants:

Showing all 4 posts
8/15/2011 at 7:40 PM

I'm a newbie here, and I can't see anywhere on the site to tell that I can, or how to, upload my Gedcom file. I'm blowed if I am going to add it all in by hand! No "Help" menu ..... or is this public discussion in place of that!?

8/15/2011 at 8:42 PM

Sorry uploading of GEDCOMS are not allowed.

8/15/2011 at 9:16 PM

To clarify, we used to have GEDCOM import but found that in many cases it created more work than it saved. Everybody and their brother is descended from Charlemagne, and everybody's GEDCOM has him in it. Rather than doing all the work of merging all those duplicates and resolving conflicting data over and over and over again, we disabled GEDCOM import and suggest that you get started with just a few generations -- once you enter a profile that matches one in "The Big Tree" (or really, any other tree) you'll see a magnifying glass on it in the tree, or a big green button on the profile telling you that it's a match to another profile already in the system. You can then click the button / magnifying glass to merge those profiles, if you've subscribed to our Pro service (or are in a 14-day free trial).

We'd like to bring back GEDCOM in a more managed fashion, maybe something that imports a few generations at a time, but at this time we cannot commit to when such a feature might be available.

Mike at Geni

8/16/2011 at 12:25 PM

Thanks - I now understand how the site works.

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion