• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 10 posts
Private User
8/17/2011 at 2:38 AM

This is my 9th great grandmother. She was NOT Jeanne Parent (Badeau). She was Jeanne BADEAU only. I just wanted to point that out since I got a message saying her profile was changed. I just wanted the curator to know this as this is false information. I was trying to upload their memorial (Pierre Parent and Jeanne Beadeau) which clearly shows she did NOT change her last name to a married name, but it's taking 50,000 years to upload.
~K

Private User
8/17/2011 at 2:38 AM

Title of this thread should be spelled Jeanne not Jeannea (oopsy).

Private User
8/17/2011 at 2:46 AM

The memorial uploaded and I used it as a source. A GOOD curator may want to go in and change it for accuracy. I won't touch names anymore...sick of naming convention battles in this website.

Private User
11/15/2012 at 7:34 PM

Jim Meissner and Private User, you and I share ancestors. Time and time again, I notice that within the French and French-Canadian ancestors, y'all change the female surnames to a "Married" name. French-Canadian women and French women did not take on a Married name...it wasn't customary at the time. This particular person I noticed was changed again since a year ago when I was a curator and I changed it back.

I don't understand why you guys keep changing French women to married surnames. Within the Wiki on Naming Conventions it clearly states:

The concept of a "maiden name" (that is, family names of women prior to marriage) is culturally and historically specific and not universal. Most curators agree that the maiden name field (available for men as well as women, but "hidden" for men--one needs to switch a profile's gender to female to reveal it) should be used for birth names or original names. In most historical profiles, especially in those prior to the 1600s, the Last Name should be the same as Maiden Name. Please do not put married (i.e., husbands') names under Last Name field for women in pre-1700 Europe. Currently, the use of Last Name as married name for women is quite controversial and is used primarily for more recent (e.g., Colonial American) profiles but should only be used in periods and locations that such things existed. Please remember not to force your own cultural conventions on the past or on other cultures.
http://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Naming_Conventions

Thank you.

Private User
11/15/2012 at 11:13 PM

To put it even harder: If you can't apply documentation on a married name: leave it.

Private User
11/16/2012 at 6:53 AM

I understand what you say about historical naming conventions. You are correct historically. And I am not a sexist. To me, genealogy research is about finding connections and tying up all the relationships correctly (rather than using the correct historical conventions). Using a Fr-Canadian woman's married name in the "married name" slot helps to keep the relationships stay more correct. The biggest problem I find with geni.com is a woman incorrectly connected to the wrong husbands or a child given two sets of parents. I find this happens more when you don't use the "married name" of women. Of course you are absolutely right about historical conventions. I have no intention of forcing my own cultural conventions on others -- my only intention is to make family lineages and connections as accurate as possible. My motto is "due no harm" -- and when I use the married name of Fr-Canadian women -- I always use their correct maiden name if known -- so no information is lost -- and everybody understands who that woman was married to as well as the maiden name.

Private User
11/16/2012 at 8:45 AM

One of the lessons in genealogy is never to fabricate facts.

Private User
11/17/2012 at 10:39 AM

Unfortunately, they had no MAIDEN name, because they never took on a MARRIED name, Marian. They had their surname/family name and that was it.

I haven't seen too many incorrect merges in the last YEAR. I relinquished my own curator rights because people like you would change work I did to try and make it as correct as possible. That was the point in appointing curators. I felt my work was not needed, liked and abused, so I stopped. But, I never left Geni. I did however give myself a break, but I figured with all the GOOD merges I haven't seen the need to input married names when the person never had one to begin with...that's incorrect, and only dirties up the tree even more.

Private User
11/17/2012 at 10:46 AM

Yes, Bjorn. I mean, a lot of the married women had "dit" names which were AKAs.

Even to this day, many French and French-Canadian women do NOT take on a husband's surname...it's only more recently that they do, just like the naming conventions wiki states.

To add a married name in the French-Canadian and French-connected trees to historic or period profiles, messes it up by adding unnecessary and false information for researchers. Keep it as legit as possible. Even if you are not doing it for your own cultural practices, Marian, you're doing it because you fear of a bad merge...bad merges happen even on married name profiles, so just let it be. You have a Pro account, don't worry too much about it, you can still remove relationships, edit, and merge back to the correct branch.

Private User
11/17/2012 at 10:47 AM

...and if all else fails, "holler at a curator."

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion