Question: what is historical part of tree?

Started by Private User on Thursday, August 18, 2011

Participants:

• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
Showing all 8 posts
Private User
8/18/2011 at 7:56 PM

RE this statement:
"Geni Pro subscribers now have full permission to add on to, edit, and merge profiles in the historical parts of the tree. Non-Pros can no longer add new profiles to the historical tree or merge profiles."

What is the definition of the "historical tree"?
Based on birth/death dates?
Based on generations from me?

Do my privacy (i.e. public/private) settings still apply in whatever is the historical part of the tree?

I looked for an answer to this question but couldn't locate it myself.

Thanks for helping me clarify! I am a Pro user but I help support many of my non-Pro family members.

Thanks in advance.

Private User
8/18/2011 at 9:29 PM

Roxie

At the bottom of every geni page are three links you'll find helpful.

http://www.geni.com/company/privacy
http://www.geni.com/blog
http://help.geni.com/

They include screen shots and FAQ listings and can explain it far better than I can.

I can help in the historic part of the tree, public profiles, and specifically for Colonial America (other curators have other areas of historic tree focus).

Private User
8/18/2011 at 11:02 PM

This is a very valid question, that is not really addressed in the referrals above - at least that I have been able to find -- because the phrase is used in several different ways. Sometimes it just means "the part of the tree that is the Public Profiles". This includes at times totally ordinary living young adults -- which in other contexts is not considered "the historical part of the tree". Sometimes /to some people it means Profiles for folks born way back in history (folks thinking this way do differ in what they consider the cut-off date). Some folks think it is this plus any living important/public figures. And when someone says it, you never know which meaning it has.

In the quote she gives above, it seems, based on what is happening in Geni, that it just means Public Profiles.

Private User
8/19/2011 at 2:01 AM

I feel there is and needs to be a distinction between the words historic and public.

Public to me means:
- public living figures such as celebrities
- deceased persons as determined by privacy rules

Historic to me means:
- our common deceased ancestors

Blog statements are not the business rules utilized in the software. That is why I direct people to the FAQ.

Private User
8/19/2011 at 2:05 AM

To put it another way.

Each profile has a private / public setting.

There is no such thing as a private profile in true historical space, nor should there be. Definitions of history are fungible. I choose history as being any deceased direct ancestor.

Private User
8/23/2011 at 5:40 PM

Erica, I appreciate your replies. I searched the links you provided before posting. Profiles in my direct ancestry are private, simply my personal preference. I collaborate with any family member so they aren't protected from family. My question is really this... what is the cut off line/date or Geni.com definition of profiles in the "historical parts of the tree" that have been made available to any Pro user in the recent update. I don't think Geni.com has made that clear. I am further concerned that the new library access feature will distort factual data I have worked hard to collect.
Thanks a bunch!
Roxie

Private User
8/23/2011 at 5:50 PM

Roxie you need Geni to answer the question with the precision you are looking for, which also means you need to be precise about your concerns. If they don't see this discussion, submit the question to the knowledge base on the help platform, here:

http://help.geni.com/

Footer at the bottom of every geni page.

Private User
9/3/2011 at 6:00 PM

George Gearhart - in the Blog referred to at start of this discussion, you said " Non-Pros can no longer add new profiles to the historical tree" -- where did you explain that by "the historical tree" you were including, for example, my 3rd cousins' grandchildren if I am the sole manager of their profile? These would be normal, everyday, living, young -- not anybody's intuitive idea of "historical tree" -- moreover, the question for clarification was asked here.

In another Public Discussion, Mike Stangel recently just said, re: complaints of not being able to add "If "beyond a certain point" means 4th great grandparents / 5th cousins then indeed it is the new non-Pro restrictions that are preventing you from adding onto your tree."

Where were we told this? Or did you think this was the intuitive meaning of the term "historical tree"?

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion