Participants:

• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
Showing all 9 posts
Private User
8/19/2011 at 12:12 AM

I found out that a relative, @Akiba Schlussel, passed away, and wanted to post condolences so all of his loved ones could see it, in a similar way to congratulations for a birthday, anniversary or other milestones.
Geni either doesn't have such an avenue, or I don't know how to find it.
Please comment on this idea so the right people could see it and take the appropriate steps to add such a feature.

To Akiba's loved ones, my sincere condolence over his death, and you should find confort in each other.

Private User
8/19/2011 at 1:39 AM

You would probably have better success to get the family's attention by posting it as a family group discussion topic tagged to Akiba's profile.

What you also could have done was to post it as a family news announcement, but that is currently disabled, but will reappear soon in a better form.

I will raise the question to the Geni staff in a curator discussion and ask if they can bring back in-memorial messages to a deceased profile's guestbook in some form.

They had to take it away because so many misused this option for spamming and posting for example hateful messages to the Prophet Muhammad of Islam (PBUH) profile and linking it to anti-islamic sites.

Private User
8/19/2011 at 8:25 AM

@Bjorn P. Brox
If you had a good feature on Geni, like the in-memorial messages you mentiond, you don't eliminate it before having something else to replace it, just because some "nuts" or misguided people use it improperly.
What Geni did is punish the majority of good people for the misdeeds of the few bad ones.
The important thing though was to bring the lock of such a feature to the right people, like you, to get the ball rolling in improving Geni in a meaningful way.

Private User
8/19/2011 at 8:37 AM

I have asked Geni to re-introduce in-memorial, but limit it to allow only family members to post.

Private User
8/19/2011 at 10:31 AM

@Bjorn P. Brox
Where there is a will there is a way.
You came up with one solution. I am sure that there are a few other solutions.
Kudos to you.

Private User
9/14/2011 at 3:46 AM

Yesterday's release introduced a "Send a Gift in Memory" in the [Actions▼] menu on deceased profiles.

I have asked if there are any limitations on this reintroduced feature now.

Private User
9/14/2011 at 3:48 AM

An you have probably also noticed that last weeks release reintroduced the "family news announcement" box.

Private User
9/14/2011 at 11:55 AM

@Bjorn P. Brox
Thanks for alerting me, and others, to this reintroduction.
I am sure many people will take advantage of it.
You are the best!!!

Private User
9/14/2011 at 12:26 PM

Unfortunately Geni Gifts is a Pro / Plus feature, not for free users, but you might check if you have some free gifts.

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion