Mixup of people named "George Harkins"

Started by Marvin Caulk, (C) on Friday, August 26, 2011

Participants:

Showing all 22 posts
8/26/2011 at 5:58 PM

Quote from SM

Harkins/6000000011648484491

unfortunatly there is a lot of false information out there about Chief George W Harkins,
the picture you have posted is not chief George but Col George W Harkins Chief George's nephew. There are no known pictures of Chief George .
Chief George dissapears from history in 1861. not 1890 that was also Col George.
chief George was not the rawhide orator and did not live with the Chickasaw that was also Col George W harkins. Chief George was the son John Harkins and Lousia Leflore Col George was the son of Willis Harkins(Chief George's brother) and Salina Folsom

8/26/2011 at 6:00 PM

quote from SH

the mix up between the 2 George W Harkins started with the university of Arkansas little rock website about the trail of tears. they somehow got the two george's confused and combined their information together . they went on to post a wikipedia Bio with said information. those of use in the harkins line have tried to get this straightened out but to no avail. there was also an author that wrote a book and published it with the picture of Col. George with the caption Chief George he found out his mistake after publishing but it was too late.
unfortunatly I do not have a link that you could just go to to see these mistakes . the problem is people do not look at the dates of birth Chief George being born 1810 and Col George being born 1835
in the biography of Peter Pitchlynn by David Baird money from the net proceeds claim was distrbuted to the 3 district chiefs of the treaty of 1855 in oct of 1861 and his distribution is listed to the "Heirs of Geoge W. Harkins.
I have personally written to the Oklahoma historical society to the photo expert and have a responce saying there are no pictures of Chief George the ones that they have on file are of Col George.
And just to add more fuel to the fire in the Choctaw Headquaters in Durant Ok. they have a hall of chiefs with pictures of the Chief's and the year that they were chief and there is a portrait of Pushmataha labled as chief George up on the wall we finally got them to take it down and look for writting on the portrait and it says Pusmataha on the back but guess what they just put it back up on the wall.
go figure once this stuff gets out there on the internet it seems it is here to stay .those of us in the Harkins family are very frustraited that all of our efforts to clear this up are to no avail.

8/26/2011 at 6:05 PM

quote from SH

Chief George born 1910..... Col George born 1835... George washington Harkins born 1858.
the problem lies between Chief George born 1810 and Col. George born 1835 those are the two that have been mixed up by almost everyone except those of us in the Harkins line.
Col George was never Chief of the Choctaw
Col George did live with the Chickasaw
Chief George never lived with the Chickasaw
Chief George was not the Rawhide Orator
Col. George was the Rawhide orator
Col. George did die in 1890
Chief George disapears from history in 1861
ther are no pictures of Chief George ever found....... yet.
the picture that is going around everywhere as Chief George is Col. George
if you look at the Oklahoma historical soceity Indian photo archive you will see other pictures of Col George of the Chickasaw fame you will see they are the same man and not Chief George.
It has become a goal of mine to try and clear up as much of this as possible by i'm afraid it is a loosing battle , people just see this stuff on the internet and copy it as gospel

8/26/2011 at 6:35 PM

I know he can not be the son of Greenwood LeFlore, Chief to the Choctaw Nation because his "father" was only 10 yrs old so I broke that

8/26/2011 at 6:38 PM

That leaves him alone and with 9 matches

8/26/2011 at 7:06 PM

I did a bunch of merges in the tree. There are some merges of people in the tree that I did not make on purpose, They had the same names, but did not fit so I'm leaving it for the family to fix.

This still leaves me with 28 George Hawkins to look at.

8/26/2011 at 7:13 PM

Steven Harris

You have

and
Col. George W. Harkins

That appears to be the same person, but you put them in the tree 4 days apart. Are they the same (I can merge them)?

8/26/2011 at 7:34 PM
8/26/2011 at 7:59 PM

yes they are the same person
I might have entered him in my tree twice because I am double related to Col George through the Harkins line and also his mother was a Folsom ,Chief David Folsom being my 5th gr grandfather.
there are a number of these issues in my line ,
I am my own cousin also ..................

8/26/2011 at 8:07 PM

I guess I should have said half sister Lousia Leflore...

8/26/2011 at 8:46 PM

We are all our own cousins if you go back far enough. If you were your own grandpa then I'd worry. (I have the link for that song if you want it, LOL)

I'll merge those for you.

8/28/2011 at 11:32 AM

If you need help with wiki formatting, simply type the info into the "about" and let me know that it's there, I can then go in and format it and tell you what I did to make it look that way, After a few times you will understand the system and be able to do it yourself. (please tag profiles so they can be found easily)

9/1/2011 at 7:04 PM

I have added to chief George in the about section ,I will be out of town for a few days going to the Choctaw labor day festival will return next week to work more on Col.George..........

9/2/2011 at 11:30 AM

Steven Harris

What I did to and with the "About" section for

Choctaw Chief George W Harkins

1. I Wiki formating, everything must be flush to the left. In this case, instead
of removing the spaces, I put the cursor in front of the words that were indented
and then pressed the paragraph symbol ( ¶ ) at the top of the edit box.
This created a new pararaph and put that line to the left.

2. I changed the fist sentence to include full name and the date of birth and death

3. I high lighted the name George W. Harkins and pressed the "B" at the top of the edit box. This
puts his name in bold letters

-------------------
4. This is a bit advanced, I added the links to his mother father and his wife's
half brother.

I went to the top of the page (where it says imediate family )and right clicked on
John Hawkins and clicked "copy shortcut" I then pasted this in front of the name.

this gives me John Harkins Harkins

my curser is infront of the word john, so I add a space

John Harkins John Harkins

I now hilight from the HTTP to the Hawkins(as shown above) and I press the circle (link at the
top of the edit box (this places a [ befor the HTTP and a ] ant the end of Hawkins)

Now I do the same for the mother.

Chief Greenwood Leflore is mentioned so I right click on the mother and open her
page in another window. Now I can see the link to her half brother so I copy it and
place that in front of his name ect.

----------------------------------

Now back to simple stuff

It says his father is Irish so I right click on his father and open
it up in a new window. His fathers profile does not show that he is
Irish-American so I go to edit and then to personal then under Ethnicity
i start to type Irish and "Irish-American " pops up so I click it then
save and close his profile.

His mother is Choctaw, so I add that to her profile.

His Ethnicity is known so I will add that.(I put in Choctaw, Irish-American, but you can use
just one if you wish)

Now I'm going to add "Choctaw Academy in Kentucky" under schools in his profile

You also have EVENTS that should be added. The first one is the treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek.
I did not see his name on it but you may want to add that to Chief Greenwood LeFlore

see (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Dancing_Rabbit_Creek)

I just added his to the trail of tears project (you must join a project to add a profile)

I do see the "Trail of Tears" so I'm adding that as an "Event"

To add this event
Click "Timeline"
click "add a new event" and add details (you may change or add to this event) it
is at http://www.geni.com/profile/6000000011648484491/events/600000001376...

Now I upload the souces by posting a new link

http://digital.library.okstate.edu/Chronicles/v017/v017p007.html

http://www.anpa.ualr.edu/finding_aids/arkeketa.htm

and

http://s3.amazonaws.com/choctaw-msldigital/assets/465/bishinik20100...

(PS I only checked his name as a cite, I didn't read to see how much more info
like bday/ddate that may be in the docs)

Now if you can cite a doc with the birth/death dates so they can be confirmed
we'll have a great MP (I may need to lock it before someone reads the wikipedia)

Private User
9/2/2011 at 2:13 PM

Absolutely lock the about me when done!

Private User
9/2/2011 at 2:14 PM

Great job to both of you, Marv & Steven.

9/10/2011 at 3:54 PM

Marvin , I have updated the about for Chief George and added a reference for his birth date. I also tried to add another reference but I still do not understand how to make that one a link.
I also worked on Col. George the other day and might have some more info coming one Col. George in the next few days.
Thanks for your help on this project.
.............. Steven

9/10/2011 at 4:52 PM

Steven Harris

Are you saying that you need me to talk you thru uploading and citing it, or is it something that you tryed to upload and the system wouldn't take it.

What link ar we talking about?

9/10/2011 at 4:55 PM

Is it the 13 page Pdf?

9/10/2011 at 6:48 PM

no that is ok, I just wanted to get the facts correct on the two Harkins I think I have done about all I can do with this , if it does not get corrected soon it will be forever copied and the truth lost . That would be a tragedy.
Ps can anyone just come into this and change things. ?
Steve

9/11/2011 at 8:12 AM

Steven Harris

I have locked them and put in a curator note. As long as it remains locked only Curators can change them

9/11/2011 at 5:07 PM

Thank you..........

Showing all 22 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion