|Also Known As:||"徽音", "Lin Huiyin", "Phyllis Lin", "Lin Whei-yin"|
|Birthplace:||陸官巷, 杭州, 浙江|
|Death:||Died in Beijing, China|
|Cause of death:||Tuberculosis|
|Place of Burial:||Babaoshan Revolutionary Cemetery, Beijing, China|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Lin Huiyin (known as Phyllis Lin or Lin Whei-yin when in the United States; 10 June 1904 – 1 April 1955) was a noted 20th century Chinese architect and writer. She is said to be the first female architect in China. Her niece is Maya Lin.
Lin was born in Hangzhou though her family was from Minhou, Fujian. She was the daughter of Lin Changmin (16 September 1876 - Xinmin, Liaoning, 24 December 1925) and He Xuehuan (1882 - 1972). Raised in a wealthy family, she received the best education a woman could obtain at the time. She pursued her degrees both in England and the United States. She attended St Mary's College in London, where she became acquainted with the well known Chinese poet Xu Zhimo. Their relationship is commonly referred to in a romantic anecdote. However, according to Lin, she had never fallen in love with Xu.
Lin studied art at University of Pennsylvania as an undergraduate, where she also worked as a part-time assistant in the architectural department. Later, she enrolled in stage design programs in Yale University as a graduate student, pursuing her longtime interest in drama.
Upon her return to China from the United States, she helped to establish the Architectural Department in Northeastern University in Shenyang, where she then taught architecture briefly. Meanwhile, in 1928, she designed a railway station in Jilin. This was one of the few buildings Lin designed.
Throughout the 1930s, Lin and her husband, Liang Sicheng, traveled in Shanxi, Shaanxi, Shandong, Hebei, Jiangsu, and other Chinese provinces to study and record architectural relics scattered throughout these provinces. In 1937, She discovered the main hall of Foguang Temple near Doucun, Shanxi. The hall was the only remaining Tang dynasty timber structure known at the time.
After 1949, Lin and Liang Siceng was involved in the design of the National Emblem of the People's Republic of China and the Monument to the People's Heroes located in the Tiananmen Square. Lin designed the floral wreath patterns at the base of the Monument to the People's Heroes. Lin Huiyin wrote poems, essays, short stories and plays. Many of her works were praised for its subtlety, beauty, and creativity. With her husband she wrote a book named History of Chinese architecture. She also translated English works into Chinese.