About A. D. Jackson
Founded the A.D. Jackson Saddlery Company.
A. D. Jackson first became a resident of Illinois in 1855, when he settled at Shawneetown and occupied his time in a commercial way as a traveling harness journeyman, working by the day. He was careful of his earnings and worked industriously and, being of an ambitious temperament, soon managed to establish a small shop in Shawneetown, which he conducted for six months. Benton was then a small town just starting to grow, and Mr. Jackson, encouraged to establish his business there by his friend, Sam K. Casey, opened up a small harness store in August, 1855. This was the beginning of the present Jackson harness and saddlery manufactory. The trade at the little shop grew gradually but steadily and the capacity of the store and factory was increased year by year. His death occurred on May 11, 1906. He was throughout his lifetime president and treasurer of the business, was known as a man upon whose word complete reliance could always be placed and his integrity in every particular was of the most unquestionable character. He was one of the few men of his time in this section that voted for Lincoln for president in 1860 and 1864, as Franklin county was inclined strongly toward Democracy.
The firm conducting the harness business was incorporated in 1897, in which year a bad fire destroyed the store, entailing a loss of forty thousand dollars, as no insurance was carried on the building and stock. The place was rebuilt, however, and is now of sufficient size and capacity, covering practically a city block, to adequately handle the large business transacted not only with customers in Illinois but many clients in the surrounding states of Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee and Missouri. Three traveling representatives are employed to visit the trade and take orders in these states.