ARCHIBALD BEARD / BARD
|Death:||Died in Peters Twp., Adams, PA, United States|
|Managed by:||CURTIS BARD|
Matching family tree profiles for ARCHIBALD BEARD / BARD
About ARCHIBALD BEARD / BARD
SPECIAL NOTE: There is no research in "The Bard Family" by G.O. Seilhamer (or anywhere else to date - 2011) that supports with documentation or any official verification of various other siblings of Richard Bard, William Bard, and (Rev.) David Bard shown on some Ancestry family trees (such as Sarah Bard b.1728, Adam Bard (or Baird) b.1730, Robert Baird b.1735, or John Batte Bard b.1745.) To the best knowledge available Archibald Beard (Bard) only had 4 children: Richard Bard b.1736, William Bard b.1738, a daughter: Unknown Bard b.1740, and (Rev.) David Bard b.1744.
IMPORTANT LINKS FOR BARD FAMILY DATA AND OTHER INFORMATION ARE BELOW.
Source Text: The Bard Family by G.O. Seilhamer
Wife of Archibald Beard (page 158 of the Bard Family by G.O. Seilhamer): Mr. Beard was married in Ireland, if not at Coal Island, as the tradition of James Baird, of Glenarm, has it, probably in southern Ulster, in the neighborhood of the Blackwater. The name of his wife has not been ascertained but she may have been a sister of Martha Potter, wife of Captain John Potter, the first sheriff of Cumberland county, Pa. There is reason to believe that she died on “Carroll’s Delight” before the conveyance of Boly Place and the Mill Place to Richard Bard. In that case, she was probably buried in the graveyard of the “Lower Marsh Creek Presbyterian Church,” in what is now Highland township, Adams county, Pa., but her great grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren have apparently no means of ascertaining the place of her sepulture, or of marking it for her posterity, after more than a century and a half of forgetfulness. ---------------------------------------------------------------
BARDS OF “ CARROLL’S DELIGHT ” Pg 142:
As to the ancestry of the Bards of Carroll’s Delight, nothing that is certain is known; the foregoing speculations are given not as a settlement of the question but as facts and conjectures that may aid in future research.
(I.E.: Any Irish or Old -World information contained in The Bard Family by G.O. Seilhamer concerning pre Archibald BEARD (BARD) data is conjecture. There is no official substantiation of this line prior to Immigrant ancestor Archibald BEARD (BARD). There is only the officially unsupported old book reference that lists Archibald BEARD (BARD)'s father as "David" and his father as "William".)
The index and the The Bard Family "Bard Book" by G.O. Seilhamer (file size is over the limit set by Geni for the documents section) can be found here (If these are not clickable links on your computer, you will have to copy and paste them into your browser URL field).
And archival storage of profile files and documents here:
Find other resources and Bard Tree connections on Ancestry.com here:
Surf to the Bard Family Genealogy Web site here:
Or (much easier to remember):
Get Your FREE UNLIMITED Genealogy Web Space at RootsWeb.com Here:
And your FREE UNLIMITED file and document archival storage space here:
Source Text: The Bard Family by G.O. Seilhamer
BARDS OF “ CARROLL’S DELIGHT ” Pg 143-158
ARCHIBALD BEARD, the emigrant ancestor of the Bards of “Carroll’s Delight,” was a son of David Beard, and a grandson of William Beard. He was probably born in County Antrim, Ireland, and was presumably of Scotch antecedants.
Among his possible Scottish forebears was William Baird, of Ballateur, parish of Lewrie, Dunbartonshire, who died May 6, 1606, leaving a wife, Margaret Drew, sons David and Alexander, and a daughter, Janet. Archibald Baird, of Mekill Govane, died in October, 1596. These include family names among Archibald Beard’s descendants in America, found in Scotland just previous to the Plantation of Ulster. The same family names in County Antrim, Ireland, before Archibald Beard’s emigration, together with a discussion of his ancestry, are given in the last chapter of “A Chronicle of the Bards.” In Scotland the family surname has been written Baird for many generations. In Ireland, for a century and a half after the Plantation it was oftener written Beard than Baird. The American family, whose genealogy follows, has adopted the uniform spelling —Bard—, but Archibald, the emigrant ancestor, wrote his name Beard, and his second son, William, signed a deed, on record in Franklin county, Pa., Baird. His eldest son, Richard, was always Bard when he wrote his own name, but it was often Baird, or Beard, when his name was written by others.
The later orthography was in fact only a return to the earlier. From the thirteenth to the sixteenth century the customary spelling was Bard, or Barde.
The name was Bard on the Ragman’s Roll. In Maybole, the modern Bairds were “the sept of the Bardes.” When writing came into general use the orthography of family names assumed eccentric forms. The simple name Bard became Biard and Bierd in the Public Records as well as Baird and Beard; it was sometimes written Berd instead of Bard. Such variations in the spelling of a family name, easily understood at the time of their use, could not fail to result in obscurity and doubt after the lapse of many years. With the descendants of Archibald Beard the return to the simpler form of the name had serious results, and for a while the emigrant ancestor was an unknown quantity in the equation of the family. Indeed, for a long time the first of the family in America was lost to sight altogether, and to a stranger was accorded the seat of honor under the spreading branches of the Family Tree.
When the researches that resulted in this history were first undertaken, the compiler, like an eminent Irish genealogist, Sir Edmund T. Bewley, in another case similar to this one and, perhaps, akin to it, was entirely “free from any preconceived ideas, and indeed, from any preliminary knowledge.” There were no traditions among the living Bards that pointed to Archibald Beard, of “Carroll’s Delight,” as their emigrant ancestor; indeed, there was no knowledge that he even had existed. There were no known family records relating to him. Although it was afterward found that he had left a numerous posterity, divided into three distinct branches, his descendants had little or no knowledge of each other, or of their ancestry. In the task of finding the Bard ancestor and learning his history, the only hope was in chance references in printed books and in scattered entries in the Public Records.
To make the quest all the more difficult, the late Dr. William Henry Egle, with the enthusiastic but indiscriminating zeal of the amateur genealogist, made an erroneous statement that was not only misleading, but that proved mischievous. In a brief sketch of Richard Bard, as a member of the Pennsylvania Convention that ratified the Federal Constitution, Dr. Egle said that his father, Bernard Bard, settled and built a mill on Middle Creek, in what is now Adams county, Pa. Unfortunately, this mistake was printed in an authoritative historical journal*, and thus acquired acceptance and vitality that rendered a mere denial insufficient for its correction. To counteract the effects of the blunder it became necessary that the truth in regard to Richard Bard's parentage should be established by proofs that would be accepted as evidence in a judicial proceeding in a court of law. These proofs need not be summed up in this place. They will be found in almost every line of this history of Archibald Beard.
After his emigration to America, Archibald Beard settled in Delaware. In a record of the Hamilton family, compiled by the late A. Boyd Hamilton, of Harrisburg, it is noted that John Hamilton, the son of John and Isabella Potter Hamilton, was buried October 17, 1741, “at Archibald Beard’s, in Miln Creek Hundred, Newcastle county, Del.” Hamilton came to America on the ship “Dunnegall” with his brother-in-law, John Potter, arriving at Newcastle, September 25, 1741, Isabella Potter Hamilton died the day after their arrival. The affiliations of the Hamiltons, Potters and Bards, after the emigration, were very close, but the most exhaustive research has failed to reveal a complete explanation of their relationship.
Nothing has been ascertained concerning the residence of Archibald Beard in Delaware, beyond the reference to it made by A. Boyd Hamilton, who, unfortunately, failed to mention the source of his information. The cause of his removal to “Carroll’s Delight” is easily explained. Among his neighbors in Miln Creek Hundred was Jeremiah Lochery, the ancestor of the Lochery family of western Pennsylvania.
Beard and Lochery agreed to join with two others, John Witherow and James McGinley, in the purchase of a tract of 5,000 acres of land from Daniel Carroll, of Duddington Manor, in Prince George’s county, Md. which Carroll had obtained under a grant from Lord Baltimore. To this tract was given the name of “Carroll’s Delight.” It was in every way worthy of the name. It is a beautiful sweep of country between the Sugar Loaf and Jack’s Mountain, in the western part of what is now Adams county, Pa. On the south and forming a part of the tract is Musselman’s Hill. It is coursed by a number of swift-running streams that have their sources in the mountains on the north. One of these, Mud Run, on which Mr. Beard built a mill, comes out of a mountain gorge at the base of the Sugar Loaf, and forms a junction with Middle Creek, east of Musselman’s Hill. Another stream a mile to the westward, Tom’s Creek, comes out through a gorge at the Western Maryland Railroad horseshoe, on the eastern side of Jack’s Mountain. Still another stream, which winds around the base of the mountain on the west and south from Fountaindale, is Miney Branch, which joins Tom’s Creek near Mason and Dixon’s Line.
All of these streams water the splendid vale that Beard, Lochery, Witherow and McGinley bought from Daniel Carroll, in 1741. From the mountain heights the views fully justify the name given to the tract by the original grantee—“Carroll’s Delight.” Beard, Lochery, Witherow and McGinley divided their extensive purchase to suit themselves. Beard’s part was in the forks of Middle Creek, northeast of the present village of Fairfield. Archibald Beard executed a bond to William Waugh, dated May 19, 1753, conditioned for the Conveyance of 300 acres of land, “part of a tract in Carroll’s Delight which said Archibald and partners bought from Charles Carroll.” The purchase price that Waugh agreed to pay was twenty-two pounds ten shillings, sterling, per hundred acres, making in round numbers $330 —for the plantation. No deed appears to have been executed in Mr. Beard’s lifetime. William Waugh, Sr., assigned the bond to William Waugh, Jr., March 4, 1770, and the elder Waugh executed a deed to his son, March 21, 1770, for the land. This deed contained a recital charging that William Rush “did in a fraudulent and clandestine manner obtain from Charles Carroll, Esq., of Annapolis, a deed for part of said land adjoining his own (Rush’s) plantation, notwithstanding all said land was purchased long before of said Charles Carroll by Archibald Beard & Co., and notwithstanding said land was in my quiet possession many years before said William Rush obtained a deed for it, as above mentioned.” The Waugh title was held to be valid and the family of William Waugh, Jr., lived on the land for many years afterward.
William Waugh was among the early if not the earliest farmers in the Marsh Creek Settlement. His wife, Jane, died in 1770. The date of his death has not been ascertained but he died at an advanced age.
Samuel Waugh, son of William and Jane Waugh, was a farmer in Hamiltonban township. He was married to Douglass; their children were John, James, Isaac, Samuel, Nancy and Jane. Nancy Waugh married William Gilson and Jane Waugh married William Richardson.
John Waugh, son of Samuel Waugh, removed to Mercer county, Pa., in 1789. He was twice married: first, to Martha Kennedy, and second, to Sarah Mutchmore.
By his first wife he had a son, Samuel Waugh, and a daughter, Ida Waugh, the artist. Issue by his second wife: Mary, Agnes, Sarah, Samuel, Elizabeth, Rachel, Hannah and John.
James Waugh, son of Samuel Waugh, died at New Wilmington, Mercer county, Pa., in 1815. He was appointed a captain in the Sixth Regiment, Pennsylvania Line, February 15, 1777, and became supernumerary, June 21, 1778. By his wife, Elizabeth, he had seven children: William, Sallie, Polly, Juliet Ann, James, Alexander Power and John. His sons, James and Alexander P., and his grandson, William, son of James, were prominent in business and political life in Mercer county.
Samuel Waugh, son of Samuel, died at Hogestown, Cumberland county, Pa., January, 1807. He was pastor of Silvers’ Spring and Monaghan Presbyterian churches, 1782-1807. Mr. Waugh was married April 14, 1783, to Eliza Hoge, daughter of David Hoge, Esq., of Hogestown. Among his children were Eliza (Mrs. Burd), and Samuel.
David Waugh, son of William and Jane Waugh, was born in 1736. and died November 26, 1816. He was a farmer in Hamiltonban township, Adams county, Pa. His wife, Jane, was born in 1746, and died August 17, 1816.
Issue: William; _______, married John Kyle;
Mary, married Robert McJimsey; Margaret, married Zaccheus Patterson, and had a son David; Nancy, married James Kyle; John; Jane, married Rev. John Coulter; Sarah, married Rev. John Hutchison, and Anna, married John McCracken.
William Waugh, son of William and Jane Waugh, lived on the old Bard homestead, in “Carroll’s Delight,” which he received by deed from his father. He had a daughter Elizabeth, and a son William, John Waugh, son of William and Jane Waugh, was married to Susan Moffat; they had seven children: James, Samuel, William, John, Mary, Susan and Nancy.
William Waugh, son of David or of William Waugh, had, probably among other children, David Waugh, born in 1790, and died December 2, 1815; Jane Waugh, wife of John Harper, who died February 21, 1819; and Amelia Waugh, died March 17, 1820.
In 1762, caveats were entered in the Land Office of Pennsylvania against granting warrants for the lands in “Carroll’s Delight.” The Carroll grant no longer had any validity except as an equity, but Rush’s claim to the Waugh tract seems to have given the sons of the other purchasers some uneasiness, and William Lochery obtained a deed from Charles Carroll, December 14, 1764; Amos McGinley, December 20,,1770, and William Witherow, June 12, 1771. These deeds are on record in Frederick county. Md. The deed to McGinley recites that—“Daniel Carroll, late of Duddington Manor, in Prince George’s county, by his last will and testament, dated April 12, 1735, did release unto his sister Mary the right to part of ten thousand acres of land lying at the mouth of Monocace in Frederick county by which he was entitled to half of two tracts of land, one called Carroll’s Delight and the other called Carrollsburg, each 5,000 acres; and did authorize Charles Carroll, party to these presents to sell his share or moiety; and whereas Charles Carroll is entitled to the other share or moiety, the said Charles Carroll for himself and by power under the will of Daniel Carroll had for and in consideration of five pounds bargained and sold to said Amos McGinley all the remaining part of the tract of land already by him sold called Carroll’s Delight lying in Frederick county, be the same more or less.” This deed is signed Charles Carroll and is witnessed by Charles Carroll of Carlton and William Deard.
Appended is a receipt for “forty shillings, sterling, as an alienation fine on the within mentioned land, quantity supposed to be 1,000 acres” by order of John Morton Jordan, Esq., his Lordship’s agent.
By a deed dated February 19, 1765, Archibald Baird (Beard) conveyed to Richard Baird his title to a tract of land containing 121 acres, known as the Mill Place, on Middle Creek, in Hamiltonban township, Adams county, then York, and 80 acres in “Carroll’s Delight,” adjoining the Mill Place, conditioned for his support during his life. The conveyance was to become void if Richard failed to fulfill its conditions. The deed, which is on record in the Recorder’s office, in York county, contains this declaration: “The aforesaid bargain and sail according to its general and particular meaning to stand and remain as much in force and virtue in law as if it were worded most consistent with law by any council learned therein.” In the body of the deed the names of Archibald and Richard are spelled Baird, but the signature is Archd. Beard. Archibald had previously, April 2, 1761, conveyed a part of his land in “Carroll’s Delight” to his son William, William executing a mortgage for the purchase money. Mention of this transaction is made in the conveyance from Archibald to Richard. Richard Bard sold the mill place to James Marshall, and William sold his land to Colonel Robert McPherson, for whom it was surveyed in 1765. This land was subsequently bought by Ebenezer Finley and the Rev. John McKnight, D.D. Finley was a son of William Finley, and a nephew of the Rev. Samuel Finley, of Princeton. Dr. McKnight was pastor of Lower Marsh Creek Presbyterian Church, 1783-89, and afterwards associate pastor with the Rev. Dr. Rodgers, of the United Presbyterian congregation, of New York City. His farm was cultivated for him by the members of his Marsh Creek congregation.
Archibald Beard’s earliest warrant for his Middle Creek lands, outside of “Carroll’s Delight,” was for 100 acres. This tract was surveyed to him January 18, 1744. His holdings under this and other warrants comprised an extensive plantation. A deed between Richard Baird, of Peters township, county of Cumberland, and Hugh Dunwoody and Samuel Moor, dated December 22, 1774, on record in York county, recites Archibald’s warrant for 50 acres in the forks of Middle Creek, known by the name of Boly Place, bearing date about 1762, by virtue of which there was surveyed and laid out to Richard Baird, by Archibald McClean, Deputy Surveyor, the quantity of 318 acres. This deed is signed Richard Bard.
Hamiltonban township, of which Archibald Beard was one of the pioneers, was an original township of York county, at its creation, in 1749. In the early records of the county its name is often written Hamilton’s Bawn. It was evidently named after Hamilton’s Bawn, a village in the parish of Mullaghbrack, County Armagh, Ireland, so-called from the bawn built in 1619, by John Hamilton, to whom the district was granted at the Plantation of Ulster.
John Hamilton, of the Bawn, was a son of Hans Hamilton, minister of Dunlop, in Ayrshire, Scotland, and a brother of James Hamilton, first Viscount Claneboy. Nearly allied with the Hamiltons of the Bawn was Captain Hance Hamilton, an early settler and prominent citizen of York county, Pa., and a distinguished soldier in the French and Indian War.
Captain Hamilton lived in that part of the original township of Menallen, York county, that is now Franklin township, Adams county, which adjoins the township of Hamiltonban. His influence, no doubt, was potent in the choice of the name. That Archibald Beard united with Captain Hamilton in giving the name of Hamilton’s Bawn to the township in which he settled is likely from family affiliations if not because of actual kinship.
Archibald Beard also obtained a Proprietary warrant, October 6, 1762, for a tract of land in what is now Quincy township, Franklin county, Pa. This land he conveyed to his son, William, November 20, 1764, and William sold it to his brother Richard, December 21, 1767. The deeds, which are on record in Franklin county, are only noteworthy for the variations in the spelling, Archibald signing his name Beard and William signing his Baird. When Richard sold the land he signed the deed “Richard Bard,” which became the accepted spelling. This tract was afterward claimed by John Toms, who owned the site of Tomstown, but it was finally acquired by Samuel Hughes and became part of the Mont Alto property. Its exact situation can be determined by the accompanying draft of a survey made for Samuel Hughes in 1810. The original survey, according to the declarations of William Bard, was made for his father by Colonel John Armstrong. It must have been among the surveys destroyed by fire in Colonel Armstrong’s office, in Carlisle.
Archibald Bard’s Grant That another tract of land in the same locality, which Richard Bard sold to Daniel Hughes, brother of Samuel, and his partner, in the firm of D. & S.
Hughes, Mont Alto, may not be confounded with the Archibald Beard grant, the transaction is noticed in this place. This purchase was for land, the location of which had been lost. Bard consequently accepted from Hughes the following obligation: I promise to pay Richard Beard or order the sum of Fifty pounds Current Money of Pennsylvania on the Eleventh day of July next—It being in full of a tract of land bought of him adjoining Adam Cook & one Kneeper in Antrim township, Surveyed of a certain James Scot the 26th of May, 1763—containing 59 acres with allowance. Provided me nor my heirs do not see fit to relinquish the said purchase and reconvey the said tract of land unto the said Richard Beard or his Heirs in the same manner he conveyed it to me on or before the said eleventh day of July next. In witness whereof I have hereunto set me hand and seal this fourth day of September, 1794.
Witness: Da n i e l Hughes.
It is endorsed: June 24, 1795. Its agreed by the parties that the exchange of the deed & payment mentioned in the within obligation shall extend over to the first of September next in order that further search may be made to locate the land.
Danl . Hughes.
Archibald Beard, it may be assumed, spent the last years of his life at the homestead of his son Richard in Peters township, Franklin county, Pa., and died there. The date of his birth is unknown, and the year of his death would have been lost to his posterity but for one of those fortuitous accidents that enter so largely into genealogical research. After Samuel Hughes purchased the Quincy land that had belonged to three of the Bards he wrote to his lawyer, Thomas Hartley Crawford, Esq., then practicing his profession at Chambersburg, directing the attorney to put the Beard, Baird and Bard deeds on record.
The letter was preserved with the Hughes papers and returned to Samuel Hughes. It was exhumed as a part of the genealogical search for material for this history of the Bard family, when it was found to contain this endorsement, presumably in the handwriting of Judge Crawford: “Archibald Bard, the grandfather of the Judge, died in February, 1765;
the Judge was born in April, 1765.” At the time this endorsement was penned Archibald Bard, grandson of Archibald Beard, was an Associate Judge of Franklin county. It is the only record of the month and year of the death of the pioneer that has come down to his posterity, and it is worthy of a place, side by side, with Judge Bard’s genealogy of the family, written on the fly-leaf of an old book: “Archibald Bard, which was the son of Richard, which was the son of Archibald, which was the son of David, which was the son of William.” Mr. Beard was married in Ireland, if not at Coal Island, as the tradition of James Baird, of Glenarm, has it, probably in southern Ulster, in the neighborhood of the Blackwater. The name of his wife has not been ascertained but she may have been a sister of Martha Potter, wife of Captain John Potter, the first sheriff of Cumberland county, Pa. There is reason to believe that she died on “Carroll’s Delight” before the conveyance of Boly Place and the Mill Place to Richard Bard. In that case, she was probably buried in the graveyard of the “Lower Marsh Creek Presbyterian Church,” in what is now Highland township, Adams county, Pa., but her great grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren have apparently no means of ascertaining the place of her sepulture, or of marking it for her posterity, after more than a century and a half of forgetfulness.
1. Richard Bard, born February 8, 1736; died February, 1799. (See Descendants of Richard Bard.)
2. William Bard, born June 7, 1738; died July 31, 1802. (See Descendants of William Bard.)
3. ___ Bard, a daughter; she died in early girlhood.
4. David Bard, born in 1744; died March 12, 1815. (See Descendants of David Bard.)
The question of the relationship of the Bards and the Potters, which is very intricate, is reserved for the Potter sketch, in Part III, “The Bard Kinship.”
Marriage: Mary _______ (Potter?)
Burial: February 1765.
Arichibald BEARD born (abt 1700) from an old family book: "The son of David, who was the son of William."
Descendants of Archibald BEARD uniformly adopted the BARD spelling.
Occupation/Service: Miller, Farmer.
Places Lived: Briefly in Miln Creek Hundred, New Castle Co., DE, USA (1740).
"Carroll's Delight"(1741),(near what is now Fairfield, PA, USA), in York Ctny. (Originally; Frederick Co., MD, USA; then Adams Ctny PA, USA; now York Co., PA, USA.
Land/Possessions: Purchased "Carroll's Delight" 5,000 acre tract (1741).
Purchased 100 acres in Middle Creek, Hamiltonban Twp., PA, USA (1744).
Purchased "Boly Place" 50 acres in Middle Creek, Hamiltonban Twp., PA, USA (1762).
Tradition/Misc: Believed to be from Co. Amtrim, Ireland, of Scotch
ancestors, with possible English links. Immigrated to the USA about 1740.
Death: (Abt 65 Years). In The Kittochtinny records Archibald's death date is given as: April 8, 1765. The Bard Book does not give this month or day.
NOTE: There are many trees on Ancestry that show more children for Archibald Beard than our tree does, (such as those listed below). But the extensively researched genealogy of The Bard Family by G.O. Seilhamer only shows: Richard, William, an unknown daughter, and David Bard as children of Archibald Beard. To-date we have found no official documentation for these proposed other children.
John Batte (1745-1803)
Sources: The Bard Family, by G.O. Seilhamer; Pg. 143-158.
ARCHIBALD BEARD / BARD's Timeline
February 8, 1736
Ireland, it is presumed.
June 7, 1738
Fairfield, York (Adams), PA
Fairfield, Adams Co., PA, United States
Peters Twp., Adams, PA, United States
Fairfield, York (Adams), PA