|Birthplace:||Charlestown, Middlesex Co., MA|
|Death:||(Date and location unknown)|
Daughter of John Gould and Mary Gould
|Managed by:||Caitlin Daniell Clark|
Matching family tree profiles for Abigail Gould
About Abigail Gould
- The Giles Memorial. Genealogical Memoirs of the Families Bearing the Names ... By John Adams VINTON
- 1. JOHN GOULD1 was admitted a freeman of the Massachusetts Colony, May 2, 1638. He lived in Charlestown; not on the peninsula, to which the name is now confined, but in that section of the old town which was known as "Charlestown-End," and was incorporated as the town of Stoneham, Dec. 17, 1725. He was probably one of the earliest inhabitants of Stoneham.
- There was a John Gould, who, with his wife Grace, each of the age of 25 years, embarked for America in the Defence from London, July 7,1635. They were from Towcester, in Northamptonshire. It has been supposed that this John Gould was the father of the Gould family of Stoneham. This is by no means certain. The officer whose duty it was to record the names of the emigrants from Old to New England, in 1635, would hardly have made the mistake of writing Grace, instead of Mary, as the name of John Gould's wife. Yet, if any of the readers of this Sketch should be inclined to think that the father of the Stoneham Goulds brought with him from London a wife GRACE, in 1635; that she died shortly after their arrival; and that he then married a second wife, MARY; there is certainly nothing to forbid the supposition. The matter must be left in doubt : the probabilities are perhaps equal on both sides.
- MARY, the wife of John Gould, died Sept. 28, 1642. [Charlestown Records.] He then married JOANNA ---- , who survived him, and died, Aug. 27, 1697, aged ONE HUNDRED YEARS.(+)
- John Gould — or Gold, as the name appears in his will — seems to have died in the year 1690. His will is dated Jan. 3, 1688-9 ; proved, July 2, 1690; recorded, Midd. Prob. 7 : 85. He says nothing of his
- wife, though living. He speaks of his sons John Gold, Daniel Gold, and Thomas Gold. The last (Thomas) seems to have deceased, some time before ; for he is mentioned only in connection with the testator's "grandson, Thomas Gold, son of my son Thomas Gold." then under 21 years of age. The testator's son-in-law, John Birbene, is also mentioned. His estate is bounded, in part, by Thomas Cutler's fence — "that is the north line;" "south on ye River; east on ye Pond." As Thomas Cutler lived in Stoneham, near the line of South Reading, there can be no doubt that John Gould,1 the testator, also lived in the present territory of Stoneham.
- His children were — by first wife, Mary —
- 2. Mary,2 bap. Jan. 29, 1636-7.
- 3. Sarah,2 bap. Dec. 15, 1637; m. April 2, 1660, John Burbeen, of Woburn. She d. May 14, 1670. Children—
- Mary, b. July 2, 1661. John, b. Aug. 9, 1663. James, b. May 15, 1668.
- 4. Elizabeth,2 bap. Feb. 17, 1640.
- 5. Abigail,2 bap. Sept. 26, 1642; m. April 1, 1669, William Rogers. They probably lived in Stoneham ; as we find a William Rogers, either the same, or their son, who was taxed there in 1726.
- By second wife, Joanna —
- 6. Hannah,2 b. Oct. 26, 1644; m. Thomas Elliot, June 10, 1675.
- 7. John,2 b. Jan. 21, 1646-7 ; d. March 8, 1647.
- 8. (t)John,2 b. Aug. 5, 1648 ; in. 1, ---- ; 2, Martha ---- .
- 9. Thomas,2 b. ---- ; had a son Thomas,3 as mentioned in the will, already quoted.
- 10. (t)Daniel,2 b. 1653 ; m. Dorcas ---- .
- SECOND GENERATION.
- 8. JOHN GOULD,2 son of John1 and Joanna Gould of Stoneham, then part of Charlestown ; b. about 1652, if we may credit his gravestone, but Aug. 5, 1648, according to the record of his birth; m. 1, ---- ; 2, MARTHA ---- .
- He lived in "Charlestown-End," now Stoneham, and seems to have been a large landholder. He died Jan. 24, 1711-12, a. about 69, according to the grave-stone ; about 70, according to Charlestown Record. He was buried in the Old Cemetery in South Reading; there being then no burial-place in Stoneham.
- His will is dated Jan. 2, 1711-12 ; proved, in part — i. e. part of the will was established, the remainder being in dispute among the heirs — Feb. 11, 1711-12; recorded, Midd. Prob, 13 : 4. His will makes it evident that he resided within the present territory of Stoneham. He speaks of wife Martha, and son Samuel, who are appointed Executors. He mentions eldest son John, son Thomas, other children, Abigail, Daniel, Mehitabel, Jeremiah, Mary, Abraham, Isaac. The overseers of the will are Joshua Eaton and Kendall Parker. We learn from the Probate of the will that Ebenezer Knight m. Mary Gould, a daughter of the testator, and that Benjamin Geary m. Abigail Gould, another daughter. Abraham and Isaac were minors. John, Abigail, Jeremiah, Daniel, Mehitabel, and Mary, were "children of ye first venter;"
- Samuel, Abraham, and Isaac, "of ye 2d venter." "Thos Gould lives in Connecticut Colony at Wittingly," [Killingly.]
- We make out therefore the following schedule of the children of John Gould — by first wife : —
- 11. (t)John,3 b. about 1672; m. Sarah ---- .
- 12. Abigail,3 ---- ; m. May 15, 1693, Capt. Benjamin Geary of Stoneham ; a wealthy citizen, and selectman of Stoneham several years.
- 13. (t)Thomas,3 ---- ; m. Ruth Wyman of Woburn.
- 14. (t)Daniel,3 b. 1682; m. 1, Sarah Grover ; 2, Abigail Richardson.
- 15. Mehitabel,3 ---- ; m. James Hay of Stoneham, and d. March 23, 1721.
- 16. Jeremiah,3 ---- . He is mentioned in his father's will, and in the settlement of the estate ; which is all we know of him.
- 17. Mary,3 ---- ; m. Ebenezer Knight, of Stoneham.
- By second wife —
- 18. Samuel,3 ---- . We know nothing more of him than is stated above.
- 19. (t)Abraham,3 b. 1692 ; m. Mary ---- .
- 20. Isaac,3 ---- . We know nothing further of him.
- 10. DANIEL GOULD,2 son of John and Joanna Gould; b. 1653; m. DORCAS ---- . She was b. 1656; and died June 5, 1730, ae. 74. [Grave-stone.] She lies buried next her son David, and near her son Daniel.
- He lived in Stoneham, and died intestate, March 25, 1697, a. 44.
- His widow Dorcas was appointed administratrix, .... etc.
- We know of no other children of his than the following : —
- 21. (t)Daniel,3 b. 1688; m. Susanna Pearson, 1710.
- 22. (t)David,3 b. 1691 ; m. Elizabeth Green, about 1715.
- Probably there were others, whose names are not preserved.
- THIRD GENERATION.
- 11. .... etc.
- Note to page 169.
- Since the foregoing was in type, the compiler has received from the transcriber of the Charlestown Records, Mr. Thomas B. Wyman, the following evidence that Joanna Gould, wife of JOHN GOULD,1 was not so old by ten years as is stated on the aforesaid records, in the record of her death, as quoted on page 169 : —
- In a deposition, dated "6 (2) 1658," that is, April 6,1658, "Johanna Gould, aged fiftie years, or thereabouts, deposes," &c. At the same time, her husband's age is stated to be forty-seven. In another deposition, dated in 1676, Johanna Gould's age is said to be sixty-seven. This evidence, of course, is decisive. The age of Joanna and her husband, therefore, will correspond nearly with the age of John and Grace, who were passengers in the Defence, in 1635 ; and the probabilities incline to the supposition that John Gould the husband of Grace, and John Gould the husband of Joanna, were one and the same person. I may add that it now appears that Joanna Gould was 45 years of age when her son Daniel was born ; instead of 56, as the, Charlestown Records would require us to believe.
- Genealogical Guide to the Early Settlers of America: With a Brief History of ... By Henry Whittemore
- .... etc.
- JOHN GOULD, a husbandman from Towcester, Northamptonsh., came in the "Defence," 1635, aged 25, with wife Grace, 25; but nothing is found of his settlement.
- JOHN GOULD, of Charlestown, had wife Mary in 1636, who died 1642; daughter Mary baptized 1637; Sarah, 1637, Elizabeth, 1640; Abigail, 1642; by another wife, Hannah, who died 1647, had Hannah, 1644; and John, 1647, died soon. By the same records he is favored with another John, 1648, probably by another wife, Joanna; both father and son living 1678. He may have been one of the early settlers at Reading.
- .... etc.
- MASSACHUSETTS.--- Chandler's Hist. of Shirley, 428; Daniel's Hist. of Oxford, 523; Temple's Hist. of N. Brookfield, 605; Marse's Sherborn, 93; Ballou's Hist. of Milford, 773-5; Cleveland's Topfield Anniv., 52.
- NEW HAMPSHIRE--- Kider's New Ipswich, 379-83; Norton's Hist. of Fitzwilliam, 585; Cochrane's Hist. of Antrim, 512; Haywood's Hist. of Hancok, 613; Stearn's Hist. of Rindge, 536-8
- OTHER PUBLICATIONS:--- Gould Gen., (1841), 2 pp.; (1872), 109 pp.; (1895), 353 pp.; Savage's Gen. Dict., II, 284-7; Am. Ancestry, I, 32; III, 197; IV, 178; VI, 158; Binney Gen., 24, 88-93; Dwight Gen., 976-80; Walworth's Hyde Gen., 813-6.
Abigail Gould's Timeline
February 26, 1641
Charlestown, Middlesex Co., MA
September 26, 1642
Charlestown, Middlesex Co., MA
April 1, 1669
December 18, 1672
Charlestown, Suffolk, Massachusetts, USA