Abigail Holbrook (Wright)
|Also Known As:||"Abigail Sharpe", "Abigail Clapp"|
|Birthplace:||Dorchester, Dorset, England|
|Death:||Died in Milton, Norfolk, Massachusetts|
|Place of Burial:||Milton, Norfolk County, Massachusetts, United States|
Daughter of Capt. Richard Wright and Margaret Wright
|Managed by:||Sabrina Leah Lowther|
Historical records matching Abigail Holbrook
About Abigail Holbrook
Abigail Wright was born 1622 in England and died 18 May 1712 in Milton, Norfolk County, Massachusetts. She is buried in the Milton Cemetery.
Robert Sharp was her 1st husband. When Robert died at Muddy River, Abigail married Thomas Clapp of Weymouth who died in Scituate Apr 20, 1656. They had 2 children, John who died young & another Abigail who married another Tiolden-Stephen. Abigail married for the third time to William Holbrook of Scituate.
Parents: daughter of Richard Wright (a 1595-after 15 Mar 1667) of Lynn, Braintree, Rehoboth and Boston and Margaret? [Cooke?] who died before 1630 in England. (87)(fn1)
- 1st bef. 1640 Robert Sharp as his second wife [Sprague #4248]
- 2nd ca 1657 to Thomas Clapp, not Nicholas Clapp as stated in Pope's Pioneers (Sprague #4248R) as his second wife; he had 6 children with his first wife, also named Abigail but surname unknown.
- 3rd before Nov.1696, William Holbrook(2) of Weymouth & Scituate.
Children of Abigail Wright and Thomas Clapp include:
- John Clap (18 Oct 1658-ca 1671) n.b. could be child of 1st wife
- Abigail Clap (19 Jan 1659/60-) n.b. could be child of 1st wife
She deposed Nov.4,1701, aged about 78 that she came over with her father Richard Wright in the first fleet 1630. (Register Vol.31) In 11/1701, Abigail (Wright) Holbrook, age about 78 years, deposed that she was the daughter of Richard Wright.
In her will, written on 11/28/1702, her daughters Abigail Vorce, Abigail Tilden and her son-in-law, Stephen Tilden; grandsons William Sharp, Nathaniel and Jospeh Tilden and granddaughters, Elizabeth Tilden, Elizabeth Crafts and Martha Buckmaster were mentioned.
Her inventory was taken 10/31/1707 and presented 2/13/1707/8 by Stephen Tilden of Marshfield. [Robert Vose and His Descendants, p. 15].
In "Col. Humphrey's Farm at Lynn," NEHGR, Vol 31, July, 1877, p. 308 : "Abigail Holbrook, aged 78 yeares or thereabouts, 'who dewlleth at Scituate but now being at roxbury' made oath November 4th, 1701 that she was about 8 yeares of age when she came first into this country 'with her father Richard Wright' &c &c. Her deposition is to the same purport as her sister Eleanor.
- 87. George Walter Chamberlain, History of Weymouth, Boston, 1923.
- 5. Robert Charles Anderson, The Great Migration Begins: immigrants to New England 1620-1633, New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, 1995, Three volumes.
- Richard Wright, b. c. 1598 Stepney, Middlesex, England, to Lynn, Mass., with the Winthrop Fleet 1630 bringing his mother Margaret and at least three daughters. He was of Boston and Braintree both before coming to Seekonk, Plymouth Colony, in 1643 and with his three sons-in-law all settled beside each other in the new Plantation which they helped to found and which later became Rehoboth. Wife unknown, b. and d. in England; order of children uncertain."
Find A Grave Memorial# 126865751; http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=126865751
Abigail Wright Holbrook
- Birth: 1620 in Greater London, England
- Death: Nov. 28, 1702 in Scituate, Plymouth County, Massachusetts, USA
- Richard Wright (1598 - 1644)
- Margaret Wright (1599 - 1675)
- Spouse: Robert Sharpe (1614 - 1653)
- Children: John Sharp (1648 - 1676)*
- Elizabeth Wright (1617 - 1701)*
- Mary Wright Sabin (1618 - 1660)*
- Abigail Wright Holbrook (1620 - 1702)
- Burial: Unknown
- • b.Abt 1622 England
- • d.Bef 13 Feb 1707 Scituate, Plymouth, Massachusetts, United States
- • Name Abigail Wright
- • Gender Female
- • Birth Abt 1622 England
- • Marriage Bef 1643 to Robert Sharp
- • Marriage Bef 24 Apr 1656 to Deacon Thomas Clapp
- • Marriage Bef 9 Sep 1696to Captain William Holbrook
- • Death Bef 13 Feb 1707 Scituate, Plymouth, Massachusetts, United States
- Nov. 4, 1701 Abigail Holbrook, aged about 78, who dwelleth at Scituate but now of Roxbury, made oath that she was about 8 years of age when she came first to this country with her father, Richard Wright. [Register of Swansea, Suffolk Co. Court Files, original papers No. 5, 400; WA GRC, 1957, p. 248]
- Will of Abigail Holbrook, widow, of Scituate, dated 28 Nov 1702, probated 13 Feb 1707, mentions grandchildren Elizabeth Tilden, Elizabeth Crafts, William Sharp, Martha Buckmaster, Nathaniel Tilden, Joseph Tilden. Residue to two daughters Abigail Vorce [ Abigail Sharp m. Edward Voce] and Abigail Tilden [ Abigail Clapp m. Stephen Tilden]. Executor son-in-law Stephen Tilden.
- 1. ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Davis, Walter Goodwin. The Ancestry of Joseph Neal: 1769-c.1835 of Litchfield, Maine. (Portland, Maine: Portland, Maine : Southworth-Anthoensen Press, 1945, 1945), 100.
- Richard Wright came to New England in the Winthrop fleet with wife and two daughters, one being Abigail, b. abt. 1622, m. (1) abt 1642 Robert Sharp, m. (2) Thomas Clapp of Scituate, m. (3) Capt. William Holbrook of Scituate.
Family with Robert Sharpe - View Family
- husband: Robert Sharpe [1st husband/ps]
- • Birth 1615 53 - Islington, Norfolk, England
- • Death July 1653 (Age 38) - Muddy River, Suffolk, Massachusett, Americas
- • Marriage: 1640 -- Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts, America
- Abigail Sharp
- Birth 1647 32 27 - Dorchester, Suffolk, Massachusetts, America
- Death May 18, 1712 (Age 65) - Milton, Norfolk, Massachusetts
- Lt. John Sharp
- b. 12 Mar 1643,
- d. 18 Apr 1676
- Abigail Sharp
Abigail Holbrook's Timeline
Dorchester, Dorset, England
Roxbury (within present Boston), Suffolk County, Massachusetts Bay Colony
Dorchester, Suffolk, Massachusetts, USA
March 12, 1648
Muddy River (Present Brookline), Middlesex County, Massachusetts Bay Colony
December 5, 1652
October 18, 1658
Massachusetts Bay Colony
Probably Marshfield, (Present Plymouth County), Plymouth Colony (Present Massachusetts)
January 29, 1659
Massachusetts Bay Colony
Weymouth, Suffolk County (Present Norfolk County), Massachusetts Bay Colony
May 18, 1712
Milton, Norfolk, Massachusetts