Abigail Strong (Ford)
|Birthplace:||Bridport, Dorset, England|
|Death:||Died in Northampton, Hampshire County, Massachusetts Bay Colony|
|Place of Burial:||Northampton, Hampshire County, Massachusetts, United States|
Daughter of Thomas Ford and Elizabeth Ford
|Occupation:||Sailed "Mary and John" Plymouth to Nantasket, Mass 3/20-5/30/1630|
|Managed by:||Kurt Gregory Robson|
Historical records matching Abigail Strong
About Abigail Strong
From: Find A Grave Memorial# 11179437; http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=11179437
Abigail Ford Strong
- Birth: Oct. 8, 1619 Bridport, Dorset, England
- Death: Jul. 6, 1688 Northampton, Hampshire County, Massachusetts, USA
- Gone but not forgotten.
- Wife of John Strong Jr, and the daughter of Thomas Ford and Elizabeth Charde Ford.
- Children: Thomas Strong, Jedediah Strong, Josiah Strong, Return Strong (whose first wife was Sarah Warham Strong), Ebenezer Strong, Abigail Strong Chauncy Pomeroy, Elizabeth Strong Parsons, Experience Strong Fyler, Samuel Strong, Joseph Strong, Mary Strong Clark (wife of John Clark), Sarah Strong Barnard Wells, Hannah Strong Clark, Hester Strong Bissell, Thankful Strong Baldwin (second wife of Jonathan Baldwin), and Jerijah Strong.
- Family links:
- Thomas Ford (1587 - 1676)
- Elizabeth Charde Cooke Ford (1587 - 1643)
- Spouse: John Strong (1610 - 1699)*
- Thomas Strong (1637 - 1689)*
- Jedediah Strong (1637 - 1733)*
- Return Strong (1641 - ____)*
- Ebenezer Strong (1643 - ____)*
- Abigail Strong Chauncey Pomeroy (1645 - ____)*
- Elizabeth Strong Parsons (1647 - 1736)*
- Experience Strong Filer (1650 - ____)*
- Samuel Strong (1652 - 1732)*
- Joseph Strong (1652 - ____)*
- Mary Strong Clark (1654 - 1738)*
- Sarah Strong Barnard Wells (1656 - 1733)*
- Hannah Strong Clark (1659 - 1694)*
- Hester Strong Bissell (1661 - 1726)*
- Thankful Strong Baldwin (1663 - 1726)*
- Jerijah Strong (1665 - ____)*
- Siblings: (** Half-sibling)
- Joanna Ford Clap (1617 - 1695)*
- Abigail Ford Strong (1619 - 1688)
- Thomas Ford (1623 - 1623)*
- Hepzibah Ford Lyman Marsh (1625 - 1683)*
- Hannah Ford (1628 - 1629)*
- Ann Ford Newberry (1657 - ____)**
- Note: Monument photograph courtesy of The Moo.
- Burial: Bridge Street Cemetery in Northampton, Hampshire County, Massachusetts, USA
Created by: lyn m. mosher, Record added: Jun 15, 2005 Find A Grave Memorial# 11179437
- Abigail came to America from England aboard the Mary and John with her family in 1630.
- Elder John Strong's second wife. Fourteen children with her in all with only records of Thomas and Jedediah.
Lots of Strong family info!
Children of John and Abigail Strong
- See Notable Cousins for line to: Capt. Nathan HALE, Harriet Goodhue HOSMER, Donald Lines JACOBUS, Levi Parsons MORTON, Franklin Delano ROOSEVELT, Hon. Jessie ROOT, Jedediah Strong SMITH, Diana Frances SPENCER, Clarence Almon TORREY, Elizabeth Virginia 'Bess' (WALLACE) TRUMAN and Lucy Ware 'Lemonade Lucy' (WEBB) HAYES
- Thomas - b. about 1637, Hingham, MA; d. Oct. 3, 1689. Mary HEWITT (d. Feb. 20, 1670), daughter of Rev. Ephraim HEWITT (or HUIT); and second Oct. 10, 1671, Northampton, MA Rachel HOLTON (b. about 1650), daughter of William and Mary. Rachel married second May 16, 1698 Nathan BRADLEY. Children of Thomas and Mary: Thomas married Mary STEBBINS; Maria married Samuel JUDD; John; Hewet; and Ashel married Mary HART. Children of Thomas and Rachel: Joseph married Sarah ALLEN (ancestors of Lady Diana SPENCER, Capt. Nathan HALE, and Hon. Jessie ROOT); Benjamin did not marry; Adino married Eunice; Waitstill married first Sarah JONES, and second Mindwell BARTLETT; Rachel married Miles DUDLEY; Selah married Abigail TERRY; Benajah married first Mehitale BURR, and second Sarah SHERMAN; Ephraim married Mary BUCKINGHAM; Elnathan married Patience JENNER; and Ruth married William DUDLEY.
- Jedediah - b. May 7, 1637, MA; d. May 22, 1733. Married first Nov. 18, 1662 Freedom WOODWARD (d. May 17, 1681), daughter of Henry and Elizabeth. Jedediah married second Dec. 19, 1681 Abigail STEBBINS (b. Sep. 6, 1660; d. Jul. 15, 1689), daughter of John STEBBINS and Abigail BARTLETT. Jedediah married third Mary HART (d. 1710), daughter of Stephen HART and widow of John LEE. Children of Jedediah and Freedom: Elizabeth married Ebenezer WRIGHT; Abigail married Thomas KING; Jedediah married Abias INGERSOL; Ford died in infancy; a child died in infancy; Hannah married Benjamin CARPENTER; Thankful married Thomas ROOT (grandparents of Hon. Jessie ROOT); John died in infancy; Lydia married David LEE; Mary died in infancy; Experience died in infancy; Preserved married Tabitha LEE (ancestors of Capt. Nathan HALE and Lady Diana SPENCER); and John died young. Child of Jedediah and Abigail: Mary married Ebenezer PIXLEY.
- Return - b. 1640/1, Taunton, Bristol Co., MA; d. Apr. 9, 1726, Windsor, Hartford Co., CT.
- Ebenezer - b. 1643, Taunton, Bristol Co., MA; d. Jan. 11, 1729. Elder and Sgt. Married first Oct. 14, 1668 Hannah CLAPP (b. 1646), daughter of Nicholas CLAPP and Sarah CLAPP (cousins). Ebenezer married second Abigail, widow of Robert SHARP. Children: Hannah married Ebenezer POMEROY; Ebenezer married first Mary HOLTON (ancestors of Pres. Franklin ROOSEVELT), and second his cousin Elizabeth PARSONS; Nathaniel married first Rebecca STEBBINS, second Mary COOK, and third Penelope (PHILIPS) LEONARD; Sarah died in infancy; Preserved died in infancy; Sarah married first Thomas STEBBINS, and second Mr. WILLISTON; Jonathan married first Mehitable STEBBINS, and second Mary (SHELDON) CLAPP; and perhaps Noah died young.
- Abigail - b. 1645, Taunton, Bristol Co., MA; d. Apr. 15, 1704. Married first Nov. 12, 1673, at Windsor, CT, Rev. Nathaniel CHAUNCEY (b. 1639; d. Nov. 4, 1685), son of Rev. Charles CHAUNCEY, President of Harvard, and Catherine EYRE; and second Sep. 8, 1686 Dea. Medad POMEROY (bap. Aug. 19, 1638; d. Dec. 30, 1716), son of Eltweed and Marjorie (ROCKETT) POMEROY. Children (first marriage): Isaac died not marry; Katharine married Rev. Daniel BREWER; Abigail married first Dr. HUDSON, and later Edward BURROUGHS; Charles died in infancy; Rev. Nathaniel married Sarah JUDSON; and Sarah married Rev. Samuel WHITTLESEY. Child (second marriage): Rev. Samuel POMEROY married first Lydia TAYLOR, and second Elizabeth WEBB.
- Elizabeth - b. Feb. 24, 1647, Windsor, Hartford Co., CT; d. May 11, 1736, Northampton, Hampshire Co., MA. Married Mar. 17, 1668/9 Joseph PARSONS (b. Nov. 1, 1647; d. Nov. 21, 1729, Northampton, MA), son of Cor. Joseph PARSONS and Mary BLISS. Elizabeth and Joseph were both buried in Bridge Street Cemetery, Northampton, MA. Elizabeth's husband was a fur trader, lawyer, first judge of Hampshire County Court, and a founder of Northampton, MA. Children: Rev. Joseph married Elizabeth THOMPSON; John married first Sarah ATHERTON, and second Hannah CLAPP; Ebenezer married Mercy STEBBINS; Elizabeth married cousin Ebenezer STRONG; Rev. David married Sarah STEBBINS; Josiah married first Sarah SHELDON, and second Elizabeth EDWARDS; Twins died in infancy; Daniel married Abigail COOLEY; Moses married Abigail BALL; Abigail married Ebenezer CLARK; and Noah married Mindwell EDWARDS.
- Experience - bap. Aug. 4, 1650, Windsor, Hartford Co., CT. Married Zerubabel FILER.
- Samuel - b. Aug. 5, 1652, Windsor, Hartford Co., CT; d. Oct. 28, 1732, Northampton, Hampshire Co., MA. Married first Jun. 19, 1684 Esther CLAPP (b. 1656; d. Jan. 26, 1698), daughter of Edward CLAPP and Susanna COCKERILL; and second Oct. 28, 1698 Ruth SHELDON (b. Aug. 27, 1663), daughter of Isaac SHELDON, and widow of Joseph WRIGHT. Samuel and his son Samuel wer ambushed by Indians Aug. 10, 1711 at Northampton, MA, with the younger Samuel being killed. Samuel was taken to Canada as prisoner of the Indians, but escaped and returned home. Children of Samuel and Esther: Esther married Nathaniel WHITE; Samuel was killed at age 26 by the Indians; Susanna married John LANE; Abigail died in infancy; Abigail married first Samuel CHURCH, and second Ebenezer CHAPIN; Christian; Nehemiah married first Hannah (FRENCH) EDWARDS, and second Mrs. Catharine BARRETT; and Ezra married first Isabel FOWLER, and second Miriam DANKS. Children of Samuel and Ruth: Mary married Nathaniel EDWARDS, Jr.; Joseph died in infancy; Josiah married first Elizabeth FOWLER, and second Hannah SMEDLEY; and Dea. Samuel married Susannah BRACE.
- Joseph - b. Aug. 5, 1652, Windsor, Hartford Co., CT. Twin of Samuel. Died in infancy.
- Mary - b. Oct. 26, 1654, Windsor, Hartford Co., CT; d. Dec. 8, 1738, Windsor, Hartford Co., CT. Married Mar. 20, 1679, Northampton, MA to Dea. John CLARK (b. 1651; d. Sep. 3, 1704), son of William and Sarah. Children: Dea. John married Elizabeth COOK; Nathaniel married Hannah SHELDON; Ebenezer married Abigail PARSONS (ancestors of Bess TRUMAN); Increase married Mary SHELDON; Mary married Benjamin EDWARDS; Rebecca married Capt. John BAKER; Experience married Daniel NASH; Abigail married Dea. Noah COOK, Jr.; Noah married Eunice DICKINSON;Thankful did not marry; and Josiah married Thankful SHELDON.
- Sarah - b. 1655/6, Windsor, Hartford Co., CT; d. Feb. 10, 1733, Deerfield, Franklin Co., MA. Married first Dec. 19, 1675, Hadley, MA Joseph BARNARD (d. Sep. 6, 1695), son of Francis BARNARD and Hannah MERRILL; and second Sep. 23, 1698 Capt. Jonathan WELLS (b. about 1658; d. Jan. 3, 1738/9), son of Thomas and Mary WELLS of Hadley. Joseph had been killed by the Indians. Jonathan, at age 16, fought at the Fight of Turner's Falls, becoming known as the "Boy Hero" of that battle. Children of Sarah and Joseph: Dr. John married Bridget COOK; Sarah married Thomas WELLS III; Joseph died in infancy; Joseph married Abigail GRISWOLD; Thomas died unmarried; Samuel married first Sarah WILLIAMS, second Mrs. Rachel BARNARD, third Elizabeth WILLIAMS, and fourth Mrs. Katharine DEXTER; Hannah married Samuel CHILDS; Rebecca married Jonathan WELLS, Jr.; Abigail married Ebenezer WELLS, Jr.; Thankful married Ebenezer SHELDON; and Ebenezer married first Elizabeth FOSTER, and second Mary (HITCHCOCK) TAYLOR ARMS. Son of Sarah and Jonathan: David WELLS died in infancy.
- Hannah - b. May 30, 1657, Windsor, Hartford Co., CT; d. Jan. 31, 1693/4. Married Jul 15, 1680 William CLARK, Jr, son of William and Sarah CLARK, and widower of Mary SMITH. Children: Hannah married first Ebenezer HUNT, and second Thomas BISSELL; Abigail died young; William married Bethia WILLIAMS; Jonathan married Hannah SMALLEY (ancestors of genealogist Clarence TORREY); Thomas married first Sarah STRONG (perhaps), and second Mary HINE; Joseph married Rebecca HUNTINGTON; and Benoni married Hannah ROOT.
- Hester - b. Jun. 7, 1661, Northampton, Hampshire Co., MA; d. Mar. 4, 1726/7, Windsor, Hartford Co., CT. Married Oct. 15, 1678, Northampton, MA Thomas BISSELL, Jr. (1656-1738), son of Thomas BISSELL and Abigail MOORE. Children: Esther married first Jonathan DRAKE, and second Dea. Joseph SKINNER; Abigail married Capt. Joseph PHELPS; Thomas married Martha LOOMIS; Ebenezer married second Mary; Eunice married John STOUGHTON, Jr.; and Nathaniel.
- Thankful - b. Jul. 25, 1663, Northampton, Hampshire Co., MA. Married at Milford, CT Jonathan BALDWIN (b. 1649), son of Joseph and Hannah BALDWIN of Milford, CT, and widower of Hannah WARD. Children: Abigail married Joseph TIBBALS; Hannah married Josiah FOWLER (ancestors of genealogist Donald Lines JACOBUS); Martha died in infancy; Ebenezer; Noah married Thankful JOHNSON; Phebe did not marry; and Ezra married Ruth.
- Jerijah - b. Dec. 12, 1665, Northampton, Hampshire Co., MA; d. May 24, 1754, Northampton, Hampshire Co., MA. Died of 'pleurisy'. Married Jul. 18, 1700 Thankful STEBBINS (b. May 11, 1678; d. May 24, 1744), daughter of John STEBBINS and Abigail BARTLETT. Children: Jerijah died young; Thankful married Jonathan HUNT III; Jerijah married Mary CLARK; Eunice married Dea. Nathaniel BREWER; Ithamar, 1 and 2, both died in infancy; Seth married cousin Lois STRONG; and Belah married Eunice ALVORD.
Name: Abigail Ford
- Sex: F
- Birth: 8 OCT 1619 in Bridport, Dorset, England
- Death: 16 JUL 1688 in Northampton, Hampshire, Mass.
- Baptism: 8 OCT 1619 Bridport, Dorset, England
- Burial: 1699 Bridge St. Cemetery, Northampton, MA.
- Note: Abigail was from Bridport, Dorset Co., England.
- Father: Thomas Ford
- Mother: Elizabeth Chard
- Marriage 1 John Strong b: ABT 1609 in Chard, Somerset, England
- Married: 1636 in Dorchester, Suffolk, Massachusetts
- #1. Ebenezer Strong
- #2. Thomas Strong
- #3. Jedediah Strong
- #4. Josiah Strong
- #5. Return Strong
- #6. Abigail Strong
- #7. Elizabeth Strong
- #8. Experience Strong
- #9. Samuel Strong
- #10. Joseph Strong
- #11. Sarah Strong
- #12. Hester Strong
- #13. Thankful Strong
- #14. Jerijah Strong
- #15. Mary Strong b: 26 OCT 1654 in Windsor, Hartford, Conn.
- #16. Hannah Strong b: 30 MAY 1659 in Windsor, Hartford, Conn.
IMMIGRATION ON THE SHIP MARY & JOHN
- Abigail Ford was one of the passengers on the Mary & John,
- which sailed for Plymouth on 20 March 1630 with her family from England.
- Abigail was 11 years old.
- The Captain was Master Thomas Squeb.
- The day of the sailing was Saturday before Palm Sunday.
- They landed at Nantasket, Massachusetts.
- The ship was supposed to land at the Charles River but Capt. Squeb refused to navigate the Boston Harbor, probably because of its islands, sandbars and shoals.
- He had the passengers disembark at Nantasket Point.
- There were 140 passengers and 40-50 crewmen.
- The ship was owned by Roger Ludlow and weighed 400 tons who sailed on her as did Edward Rossiter, another assistant, as leaders of the company.
- The Rev John White, Vicar of Dorchester, England, who has been generally and rightfully acclaimed as the sponsor of the earliest Massachusetts settlemenets (Plymouth excluded),
- was the inspiration of a movement which culminated in the gathering of nearly one hundred and fifty persons in the counties of Dorset, Somerset, and Devon England and their agreement was to emigrate in a body to Massachusetts where he had sent other groups in the previous six years...
- In describing this Company he said that scarce a half-dozen of them were personally known to each other prior to their embarkation for the New World.
- It may be assumed that these people, from many parishes scattered over three counties, were moved by the same urge to emigrate which animated those of the Winthrop Fleet, but it is safe to say that the tales of religious persecution of these people were not a factor in the pilgrimage as the West Country was free from it.
- The Mary and John made good passage and arrived at Nantasket on May 30th.
- On June 1630, John Winthrop seemed to think he had ended the differences between Capt Squeb and the passengers.
- In token of which Capt Squeb gave the order for a salute of five guns in the governor's honor and it was said that Squeb later paid compensation to Roger Ludlow. (per Dorset Pilgrims, Frank Thistlewaite, p 76).
- While there is no official passenger list of the Mary & John,
- a synthetic passenger list of possible passengers was recorded later on, Abigail Ford, being one such passenger.
- Abigail Ford later marrried Elder John Strong
- who would arrive later in 1635 with his first wife Margerie Deane.
- Margerie Deane was with child and did not survive the journey and died in childbirth.
- She and her child were most likely buried at sea.
- After a time Abigail Ford was introduced to Elder John Strong and
- they married and had 16 known children plus
- Elder John Strong had one surviving child with his union with Margory Deane.
- There is a DAR marker at Elder John Strong and Abigail Ford's resting place.
- a synthetic passenger list of possible passengers was recorded later on, Abigail Ford, being one such passenger.
- Updated from MyHeritage Family Trees via sister Bethia Sweetser (born Cooke) by SmartCopy: Jul 17 2015, 21:53:57 UTC
Abigail Strong's Timeline
October 8, 1619
Bridport, Dorset, England
October 8, 1619
Bridgport, Dorsetshire, England
Bridport, Dorset, England
March 20, 1630
- May 30, 1630
December 30, 1636
Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts, United States
May 7, 1637
Windsor, (Present Hartford County), Connecticut Colony
October 26, 1637
Hingham, Plymouth County, Massachusetts, United States
April 14, 1639
Taunton, Bristol County, Massachusetts