Matching family tree profiles for Abram Piatt Andrew, Jr.
About Abram Piatt Andrew, Jr.
Abram Piatt Andrew Jr. (February 12, 1873 – June 3, 1936) was a United States Representative from Massachusetts.
Born in La Porte, Indiana, he attended the public schools and the Lawrenceville School. He graduated from Princeton College in 1893, was a member of the Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences from 1893 to 1898, and pursued postgraduate studies in the Universities of Halle, Berlin, and Paris.
He moved to Gloucester, Massachusetts, and was instructor and assistant professor of economics at Harvard University from 1900 to 1909. He was an expert assistant and editor of publications of the National Monetary Commission from 1908 to 1911, and Director of the United States Mint in 1909 and 1910. From 1910 to 1912 he was Assistant Secretary of the Treasury. He organized the American Field Service and in December 1914 sailed to France. He served in France continuously for four and a half years during the First World War (first with the French Army and later with the United States Army.) He was commissioned a major in the United States National Army in September 1917 and promoted to lieutenant colonel in September 1918. For his service he was awarded the Legion of Honor by the French Government and the Distinguished Service Medal by the American Army.
Andrew was elected as a Republican to the Sixty-seventh United States Congress to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of Willfred W. Lufkin; he was reelected to the Sixty-eighth and to the six succeeding Congresses and served from September 27, 1921, until his death.
He was a delegate to the Republican National Conventions in 1924 and 1928, and a member of the board of trustees of Princeton University from 1932 to 1936.
In 1953 a bridge carrying Massachusetts Route 128 over the Annisquam River to the island section of Gloucester was named the "A. Piatt Andrew Bridge" in honor of his service as a Congressman.
He died in Gloucester at his home "Red Roof"; remains were cremated and the ashes scattered from an airplane flying over his estate on Eastern Point in Gloucester.