|Birthplace:||Logierait, Perthshire, Scotland|
|Death:||Died in At Sndrews, Fife, Scotland|
|Place of Burial:||St Andrews, Fife, Scotland|
|Managed by:||Simon Leech|
About Adam Ferguson
Ferguson, Adam. 20/06/1723-22/02/1816. Ref: 516. Male.
- Titles and British Honours: Rev.
- Place of Birth: Logierait, Perthshire.
- Place of Death: St Andrews, Fife.
- Place of interment: Cathedral Cemy. St Andrews, Fife.
- Profession: Philosopher, Social Scientist.
- Appointments Held: 1742-5 Private Secretary to Lord Milton; Ordained 1745 in Church of Scotland, Dunkeld; Chaplain to Black Watch; Professor 1759-64, Natural Philosophy, 1764-85 Moral Philosophy, 1785-Mathematics (joint) Edinburgh University.
- Schools and Tutors: Logierait Parish School, Perth Grammar School.
- Undergraduate Studies: MA (St Andrews 1742), Edinburgh University.
- Postgraduate Studies: LL.D(Hon. Edinburgh 1766).
- Publications: "An Essay on the History of Civil Society"1767, "Institutes of Moral Philosophy"1769, "The History of the Progress and Termination of The Roman Republic"3vols, 1783. "Principles of Moral and Political Science"2 vols, 1792.
- Marital Status: Married (1767) Katharine Burnett.
- Mother: Mary Gordon.
- Father: Rev Adam Ferguson, minister of Logierait, Perthshire.
- Other Family: Mother-in-law was the sister of Joseph Black FRSE 1728-99.
- References: DNB 18, 1889, 336-340; Trans Roy Soc Edinb, XXIII, 599, (18/4/1864); Anderson 2 202-3; Shapin 166; S Devlin-Thorp Scotland's Cultural Heritage, 2, 1981, 32; W P Anderson 1931, 714.
- Memberships: Highland Society, Speculative Society (founder member 1764), Berlin Academy of Sciences (Hon. 1793).
- Date of Election: 17/11/1783.
- Proposers: Founder Member.
- Service to the RSE: Councillor 1789-93, President (Literary) 1793-6.
- Edinburgh Philosophical Society: Residential.
- Fellow Type: OF.
SOURCE: Biographical index of former fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, 1783-2002, pt. 1. A-J, page 307
- Wikipedia contributors, "Adam Ferguson", Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia.
- BBC - Your Paintings - Adam Ferguson (1723–1816)
- BBC - Your Paintings - Professor Adam Ferguson (1723–1816), Philosopher and Author