Adeltrude (Carolingian daughter of Charlemagne & Gersuinda)
|Birthplace:||Aachen, Koln, Nordrehein-Westfalen, Germany|
|Death:||Died in Abbess of St. Peter's, Rheims|
|Place of Burial:||Abbey De St Arnoul, Metz, Austrasia|
Daughter of Charlemagne and Gerswinde of Saxony, concubine of Charlemagne
|Occupation:||(Aupais Alpais Adaltrud); Abbess of St. Peters-Rheims|
|Managed by:||Karla Kay Walsh|
Matching family tree profiles for Adeltrude, daughter of Charlemagne & Gersuinda
About Adeltrude (Carolingian daughter of Charlemagne & Gersuinda)
Please see Charlemagne Project for Source Details
Sharon's Temporary Note: Jan 2011 - cf confusion about which Aupais married Count Begue. Discussion below. At this profile there is a question of whether she isn't Aupais, daughter of Louis I & unknown concubine - ie Charlemagne's grandaughter: http://www.geni.com/people/B%C3%A9gon-I-Count-of-Paris/5475229225590045386 This may be preferable as Adaltrude may also/rather have been married to Goslin - but those dates must still be checked
Charlemagne's first known concubine was Gersuinda.Mistress (4): GERSWINDA ---. Einhard names King Charles's concubine "Gersuindam Saxonici generis", and her daughter Adaltrud[87. [http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/CAROLINGIANS.htm#_Toc240955192
By her he had:
Adaltrude (b.774) . Einhard names "Adaltrud" daughter of King Charles by his concubine "Gersuindam Saxonici generis [http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/CAROLINGIANS.htm#_Toc240955192
-------------------- NOTE by Sharon JAN 2011:
The info from this French site: [http://fjaunais.free.fr/h0charlema.htm] - that has been accurate for the Roricon & Goslin connections to Charlemagne - has Adaltrude as Fastrada's (Charlemagne's 3rd wife) daughter.
This is contradicted by two other sources:
1) The info in Wikipaedia: [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlemagne] - see below - which has her as Gersuinda's (Charlemagne's 1st concubine) daughter, and puts her birth in 774 - 10yrs' before the marriage to Fastrada in 784 and
2) Charles Cawley's Medieval Lands database: [http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/CAROLINGIANS.htm#_Toc240955192] , where he lists her as a daughter of Gerswinda, according to documentation from Einhardi Vita Karoli Imperator 18, MGH SS II, p. 453 [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vita_Karoli_Magni] - a biography of Charlemagne written in Latin in the 9th century.
We are therefore going with Adultrude as Gersuinda, not Fastrada's, daughter. If you disagree, please append your sources and let us know - so we can get it right together.
Charlemagne's Marriages and heirs=From Wikipaedia: [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlemagne
Charlemagne had twenty children over the course of his life with eight of his ten known wives or concubines. Nonetheless, he only had four legitimate grandsons, the four sons of his third son, Louis. In addition, he had a grandson (Bernard of Italy, the only son of his third son, Pippin of Italy), who was born illegitimate but included in the line of inheritance. So, despite twenty children, the claimants to his inheritance were few.
1. His first relationship was with Himiltrude. The nature of this relationship is variously described as concubinage, a legal marriage, or a Friedelehe. (Charlemagne put her aside when he married Desiderata.) The union with Himiltrude produced two children: - Amaudru, a daughter - Pippin the Hunchback (ca. 769–811)
2. After her, his first wife was Desiderata, daughter of Desiderius, king of the Lombards; married in 770, annulled in 771.
3. His second wife was Hildegard (757 or 758–783), married 771, died 783. By her he had nine children: - Charles the Younger (ca. 772–4 December 811), Duke of Maine, and crowned King of the Franks on 25 December 800 - Carloman, renamed Pippin (April 777–8 July 810), King of Italy - Adalhaid (774), who was born whilst her parents were on campaign in Italy. She was sent back to Francia, but died before reaching Lyons - Rotrude (or Hruodrud) (775–6 June 810) - Louis (778–20 June 840), twin of Lothair, King of Aquitaine since 781, crowned Holy Roman Emperor in 813, senior Emperor from 814 - Lothair (778–6 February 779/780), twin of Louis, he died in infancy - Bertha (779-826) - Gisela (781-808) - Hildegarde (782-783)
4. His third wife was Fastrada, married 784, died 794. By her he had: - Theodrada (b.784), abbess of Argenteuil - Hiltrude (b.787)
5. His fourth wife was Luitgard, married 794, died childless.
Concubinages and illegitimate children: 6. His first known concubine was Gersuinda. By her he had: - Adaltrude (b.774)
7. His second known concubine was Madelgard. By her he had: - Ruodhaid (775–810), abbess of Faremoutiers
8. His third known concubine was Amaltrud of Vienne. By her he had: - Alpaida (b.794)
9. His fourth known concubine was Regina. By her he had: - Drogo (801–855), Bishop of Metz from 823 and abbot of Luxeuil Abbey - Hugh (802–844), archchancellor of the Empire
10. His fifth known concubine was Ethelind. By her he had: - Richbod (805–844), Abbott of Saint-Riquier - Theodoric (b. 807)
Alternative Data from merges:
Birth & Death place: France.
Death date 4/26/855 -Sharon
Adeltrude, daughter of Charlemagne & Gersuinda's Timeline
Aachen, Koln, Nordrehein-Westfalen, Germany
May 29, 852
Abbess of St. Peter's, Rheims
Abbey De St Arnoul, Metz, Austrasia