Agnes Constable (Wentworth)
|Birthplace:||Nettlestead, Suffolk, England|
|Death:||Died in Flamborough, Bridlington, East Riding of Yorkshire, England|
Daughter of Sir Roger Wentworth and Margaret Wentworth, Baroness
|Managed by:||Private User|
About Agnes Constable
- 'Magna Carta ancestry: a study in colonial and medieval families By Douglas Richardson, Kimball G. Everingham
- Pg. 228
- MARGERY DESPENCER, married ROGER WENTWORTH, Esq., of Nettlestead, Suffolk [see NETTLESTEAD 10].
- '11. AGNES WENTWORTH, married ROBERT CONSTABLE, Knt., of Flamborough, Yorkshire, and Somerby, Lincolnshire, Sheriff of Yorkshire and for Lincolnshire, Knight of the Shire for Yorkshire and for Lincolnshire, Mayor of York, Justice of the Peace for East Riding, Yorkshire from 1453 until his death, son and heir of Robert Constable, Knt. of Flamborough, Yorkshire and Somerby, Lincolnshire, by Agnes, daughter of William Gascoigne, of Gawthorpe, Yorkshire, Chief Justice of the King's Bench. He was born at Holme on Spalding Moor 4 April 1423. They had six sons, Marmaduke, Knt., Robert, Knt., Philip, John [Dean of Lincoln], William, Knt., and Roger, and seven daughters, Elizabeth (wife of Thomas Metham, Knt.), Margaret, Agnes (wife of Walter Griffith, Knt., and Gervase Clifton, Knt.), Margery (wife of Ralph Bigod, Knt.), Anne, Agnes (wife of William Scargill, Knt.), and Katherine. He was appointed keeper of Fastolf's lands in Suffolk, 1448-53. He was summoned to a Great Council for Yorkshire in 1455 as a Lancastrian. He was pardoned by the Yorkists later the same year. In 1461 he was appointed steward of all the lands in Yorkshire and Lincolnshire forfeited by the Earl of Northumberland and Lord Roos. He was pardoned in 1462. He was sent on an embassy to Scotland in 1464. He was negotiating a truce with the Scots at Newcastle in 1466. He was part owner of a pirate ship in 1473. He was one of the appointed to keep the border in 1484. He remained on the Bench throughout every revolution. He was pardoned by King Henry VII in 1486. SIR ROBERT CONSTABLE died testate 23 may 1488. His widow, Agnes, died 20 April 1496.
- Mundy et al. Vis. of Nottingham 1569 & 1614 (H.S.P. 4) (1871): 40 (Constable pedigree: "Sr Robert Constable of Flamborough Knt. = Anne d. of Phillip (Roger) Wentworth of Gowshill in com. York"). Flower Vis. of Yorkshire 1563-4 (H.S.P. 16) (1881): 63-67 (Constable pedigree: "sir Robert Constable Knyght son & heyre. = Agnes daughter of Sir Robert Wentworth or of Sir Phelyp Wentworth of Suffolk."). Northern Gen. 3 (1897): 42. Genealogist n.s 20 (1904): 128; n.s 25 (1909): 89. MSS of the Duke of Rutland 4 (Hist. MSS Comm. 24) (1905): 11 C.P.R. 1461-1467 (1897): 86 (identification of children). Dugdale Dugdale's Vis. of Yorkshire 2 (1907): 287-294 (sub Constable). Harvey et al. Vis. of the NOrth 1 (Surtees Soc. 122) (1912); 46-47 (Constable pedigree: "Syr Robert Constable, son and Heyre of Sir Marmaduke, maryed Agnes, dowghter to Phylip Wentworth, of Suffolk"); 2 (Surtees Soc. 133 (1921): 160-161 (Constable pedigree: "Sir Robert [Cnstable], son and heyre = Agnes, doter to Sir Phelyp Wntworth of Suffolk."); 3 (Surtees Soc. 144) (1930): 159-160 (Constable pedigree: 'Sominus Robertus Constable miles = Agnes filia Rogeri Wentworth"). Wedwood Hist. of Parliament 1 (1936: 213 (biog. of Sir Robert Constable). TAG 70 (1995): 96-103. Harvey Vis. of Suffolk 1561 1 (H.S.P. n.s. 2) (1981): 162-168. Sainty Judges of England (Selden Soc. Supp. Ser. 10) (1993): 8 (re. William Gascoigne). Bodine Anc. of Dorothea Poyntz (1995): 33. Kirby Plumpton Letter & Papers (Camden Soc. 5th Ser. 8) (1996): 305-309 ("A political trimmer, he remained on the East Riding bench throughout every political revolution from 1453 until his death").
- Children of Agnes Wentworth, by Robert Constable, Knt.:
- i. MARMADUKE CONSTABLE, Knt. [see next].
- ii. ANNE CONSTABLE, married WILLIAM TYRWHIT, Knt., of Kettleby, Lincolnshire [see TYRWHIT 11].
- iii. MARGARET CONSTABLE, married WILLIAM EURE Knt., Malton and Stokesley, Yorkshire [see EURE 12].
- iv. KATHERINE CONSTABLE, married RALPH RYTHER, Esq., of Ryther, Yorkshire [see RYTHER 10].
- Children of Agnes Wentworth, by Robert Constable, Knt.:
- 'The Wentworth genealogy, comprising the origin of the name, the family in England, and a particular account of Elder William Wentworth, the emigrant, and of his descendants (1870)
- XIII. John Wentworth, Esq., of North Elmsall, who married Agnes, sister and co-heir of Sir William Dronsfield, of West Bretton, in Yorkshire, and living in 1413. He had four sons, viz:
- 1. John, of whom hereafter.
- 2. Sir Roger Wentworth, who married Margery, relict of John Lord de Roos (who died without issue, 22 March, 1421-2). She was daughter and heir of Philip le Despencer, of Nettlestead,* County Suffolk, by Elizabeth his wife, daughter and heir of Sir Robert Tiptoft, of Nettlestead, and relict of William Scrope, Earl of Wiltshire. Sir Roger settled at Nettlestead, and died before his wife. Lady Margery died 20 April 1478. Her Will was dated 30 August, 1477, and proved 28 May 1478. He was settled at Nettlestead, and became ancestor of the Barons Wentworth of Nettlestead and the Earl of Cleveland. His direct line terminated in Lady Anne Wentworth, who married John, Lord Lovelace. He was also the ancestor of the Wentworths of Gosfield, in the county of Essex, members of which family were scattered over the kingdom, especially in the counties of Bucks, Oxford, and Dorset. From Lady Anne Wentworth, who married John, Lord Lovelace, was descended Anna Isabel (born 1794, and died 16 May, 1860), daughter and heir of Sir Ralph Milbanke and grand daughter of Sir Edward Noel, Baronet, Lord Wentworth. She married, in 1815, the celebrated poet, Lord Byron, whose name was George Gordon, and left an only child, Ada, who married Earl Lovelace, and died, in 1852, leaving children.
- *Sir Roger had the following issue:
- 1. Sir Philip, of whom hereafter.
- 2. Henry Wentworth, Esq., of Codham Hall, County Essex, the first of the family who settled in that county. He died 22 March, 1482-3, having had two wives. by the 2d, Jane, daughter of Henry Fitz Lewes, who survived him, he had no issue. By his first wife, Elizabeth, daughter and heir of Henry Howard( 2d son of Sir John Howard, by Mary, daughter of Sir Henry Hussey, of Co. Sussex, Kt.,) he had, with other issue, Sir Roger Wentworth, of Codham Hall, aforesaid, Sheriff of Essex and Hertfordshire in 1499, and died 9 August 1539, who married Anne, only daughter and heir of Humphrey Tyrrell, Esq., of Little Warley, Co. Essex. She died 28 August, 1534, leaving, with other issue, Sir John Wentworth, Kt., of Gosfield, Co. Essex, born 1494, died 15 September, 1567; he married Anne, daughter of John Bettenham, Esq., of Pluckley, Co. Kent, who was buried at Gosfield, Co. Essex, 30 November, 1595. They had two daughters. One of them, Anne, married three times: 1st. Sir Hugh Rich, 2d son of Lord Chancellor Rich, who died 1 November 1554; 2d. Henry Fitzallen, Lord Maltravers, who died in 1556; and 3d. Wm. Deane, Esq. Lady Maltravers was buried in Gosfield Church, 10 January, 1580-1. The other daughter of Sir John and Lady Anne Wentworth, viz., Mary, was married at Gosfield, 9 February, 1545-6, to Sir Thos. Wentworth, Kt., 2d Baron of Nettlestead. She died without issue, and evidently shortly after her marriage. (See forward to number 19 of this note for further account of her husband.)
- 3. Thomas, a priest, one of his mother's executors.
- 4. Elizabeth, who married Sir John Calthorpe.
- 5. Margaret, who married Sir William Hopton, Kt.
- '6 Agnes, who married Sir Robert Constable, Kt.
- The direct line was continued by
- (15) Sir Philip Wentworth, Kt., of Nettlestead, who married Mary, daughter of John, Lord Clifford, of Westmoreland, and had issue as follows:--
- 'Plantagenet ancestry: a study in colonial and medieval families By Douglas Richardson, Kimball G. Everingham
- Pg. 364
- 12. RALPH GREYSTOCK, Knt., 5th Lord Greystoke ............. He married (3rd) at Hinderskelf, Yorkshire by license dated 20 Sept. 1483 BEATRICE HAWCLIFF (or HATCLIFF), sister of Richard Hawcliff. They had no issue. ...... His widow, Beatrice, married (2nd) by license dated 18 July 1490 ROBERT CONSTABLE, Esq., of North Cliff (in Sancton), Yorkshire (died 22 Nov. 1501, serjeant-at-law, justice of assize, 2nd son of 'Robert Constable, Knt., of Flamborough, Yorkshire, by Agnes, daughter of Philip Wentworth, Knt.' .......
- 'Heraldic visitation of the northern counties in 1530 By Thomas Tonge, William Hylton Dyer Longstaffe
- Pg. 68
- ' SYR ROBERT CONSTABLE, son of Marmaduke, maryed Agnes, doughter to Syr Philip Wentworth3 of Suffolk: and by her he had yssue, Marmaduke, son and heyre; Robert, ijde son;4 Philip, iijde son; John, Dean of Lincoln, iiijth son; Willyam, vth son;6 Margaret; Agnes; Elisabeth; and Kateryn.
- '3. The later visitations state that she was the daughter of Sir Roger Wentworth of Nettlested in Suffolk.'
- 'Agnes Wentworth1,2
- 'F, b. circa 1424, d. 20 April 1496
- Father Roger Wentworth, Esq. d. 24 Oct 1452
- Mother Margery le Despenser b. c 1398, d. 20 Apr 1478
- ' Agnes Wentworth was born circa 1424 at of Nettlestead, Suffolk, England. She married Sir Robert Constable, Sheriff of Yorkshire & Lincolnshire, son of Sir Robert Constable, Sheriff of Yorkshire and Agnes Gascoigne, circa 1442 at Flamborough, Yorkshire, England; They had 6 sons (Marmaduke, Robert, Philip, John, William, & Roger) and 7 daughters (Elizabeth, Margaret, Agnes, Margery, Anne, Agnes, & Katherine). Agnes Wentworth died on 20 April 1496 at Flamborough, Yorkshire, England.
- 'Family Sir Robert Constable, Sheriff of Yorkshire & Lincolnshire b. 4 Apr 1423, d. 3 May 1488
- Sir Marmaduke Constable, Sheriff of Staffordshire & Yorkshire+3 b. c 1443, d. 20 Nov 1518
- Margaret Constable+4 b. c 1445, d. b 3 Jul 1497
- Sir William Constable b. c 1447, d. 22 Jul 1528
- Anne Constable+5 b. c 1449, d. b 9 Apr 1522
- Philip Constable b. c 1451
- Katherine Constable+6 b. c 1454, d. a 12 Mar 1487
- John Constable, Dean of Lincoln b. c 1455
- Elizabeth Constable b. c 1457
- Robert Constable, Esq.7 b. c 1459, d. 22 Nov 1501
- 1.[S4736] Unknown author, Magna Charta Sureties, 1215, 4th Ed., by F. L. Weis, p. 79.
- 2.[S11576] A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Extinct and Dormant Baronetcies of England, Ireland, and Scotland, by John Burke, Esq. and John Bernard Burke, Esq., p. 125.
- 3.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 225.
- 4.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 296.
- 5.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 733.
- 6.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 623.
- 7.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 363-364.
- http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/WENTWORTH.htm#Agnes WENTWORTH1
- 'Agnes WENTWORTH
- 'Born: ABT 1440, Nettlested, Suffolk, England
- 'Died: 20 Apr 1496, Flamborough, Yorkshire, England
- Father: Roger WENTWORTH of Nettlestead (Sir)
- Mother: Margery (Margaret) DESPENCER (B. Ros of Hamlake)
- 'Married: Robert CONSTABLE of Flamborough (Sir Knight) ABT 1442 / 2 Jan 1458, Flamborough, Yorkshire, England
- 1. Elizabeth CONSTABLE
- 2. William CONSTABLE (Sir)
- 3. Robert CONSTABLE of North Cliffe (Sir)
- 4. Margaret CONSTABLE
- 5. Agnes CONSTABLE
- 6. John CONSTABLE (Dean of Lincoln)
- 7. Agnes CONSTABLE
- 8. Phillip CONSTABLE
- 9. Catherine CONSTABLE
- 10. Richard CONSTABLE (b. ABT 1454)
- 11. Anne CONSTABLE
- 12. Roger CONSTABLE (b. ABT 1455)
- 13. Dorothy CONSTABLE
- 14. Marmaduke CONSTABLE (Sir Knight)
- 15. Margery (Margaret) CONSTABLE
- 16. Janet CONSTABLE
- 17. Eleanor CONSTABLE
- Sir Robert Constable (c. 1478 – Flamborough, Yorkshire, England - 8 June 1537 – Hull, Yorkshire, England) was an English nobleman. He was the eldest son of Sir Marmaduke Constable (1443-1518) and his wife Joyce Stafford (b. circa 1460). His paternal grandparents were 'Sir Robert Constable of Flamborough and Agnes Wentworth', daughter of Sir Roger Wentworth and Margaret Despencer. His maternal grandparents were Sir Humphrey Stafford (1427-1486), who was executed at Tyburn by order of Henry VII for siding with Richard III, and Catherine Fray (1437-1482).
Agnes Constable's Timeline
Nettlestead, Suffolk, England
of, Yorkshire, , England
East Riding, Yorkshire, England
Flamborough, Yorkshire, England
Flamborough, Yorkshire, England
Flamborough, Yorkshire, England