About Albert Isaac Roberts
From Roberts of Washington by Carol Carter:
Albert Roberts (b. May 21, 1836, d. February 09, 1901)
Albert Roberts (son of Isaac Roberts, Jr and Christiana "Tiney" Banta) 
- was born May 21, 1836 in Preble County, Ohio, and
- died February 09, 1901 in Eugene, Lane Co., Oregon.
- He married Martha Chapman on August 07, 1856 in Christian Church, Monroe, Green Co., Wisconsin, daughter of Benjamin R. Chapman and Rachel Adair.
Notes for Albert Roberts:
Per Dan Roberts information, Sept. 8, 1997: Albert Roberts, his mother and his father, according to Lane County, Oregon census for 1900, all were born in Ohio, which is verified by later information.
Martha Chapman apparently moved from Canada to Wisconsin with her parents. They moved from Wisconsin to Minnesota in 1867. The 1870 census of Dodge County, Minn., village of Kassen, done on June 22, 1870 shows Albert Roberts, age 33 (?), a Stonemason, born in Ohio; Martha Roberts, age 30, foreign born (Canada); Arther Roberts, age 12; Charles Roberts, age 9; and Louis Roberts, age 6; all three born in Wisconsin. The census record indicates that Martha's mother was of foreign birth also. (Probably Canada, but it does not say that.)
They moved to Kansas in 1877, and show up in the Republic County, Kansas census in 1880.
- Note 1: Since Louis and Cora were married in Smith County, Kansas in 1887, need to know whether the family had moved there or whether just Louis had??
- Note 2: Should check Kansas census for 1890, to see where they were then.
They moved to Eugene, Oregon in 1891 and Martha, with the rest of the family, moved to Washington in 1902 after Albert's death. She took a homestead about 3/4 miles Northeast of that of her son Louis Elwood Roberts. Family lore states that Martha was part Chippewa Indian. Troy Carter says that Martha died at Blanche's place in Grandview.
While in Eugene, Albert owned a 25 acre farm 15 miles north of town on the Willamette River, and the various members of the family, sometimes including Albert, owned eight other tracts of land in the area. Some of those are now a part of the city of Eugene, and one is covered by a reservoir.
See obituary, separate page, for Albert Roberts.
Alberta May Roberts remembered that Albert, not believing that his son Arno was really sick, would make him do heavy work around the farm. But Arno died at 17 or 18 years of age of what they later thought was leukemia or possibly pneumonia.
May also told of Blanche raising a pig which she hoped to sell to raise money to buy an organ. But when the pig was ready for market, Albert sold it to raise money to pay real estate taxes. Memories of him in the family were apparently not too fond--but maybe he had no choices in some of the things he had to do.
Per Barbara Feaster's Memory book dated 1998: Albert was born in Preble County, Ohio. He was living in Monroe, Wisconsin where he married Martha Chapman. Martha Chapman was from Kent Province, Ontario, Canada, and had moved to Wisconsin with her family. Family lore states that she was part Chippewa Indian.
Albert and Martha moved to Kassen, Minnesota in 1877 where he was a stonemason by trade. They later moved to Republic, Kansas and subsequently to Eugene, Oregon in 1891. While in Eugene, he owned a 25 acre farm fifteen miles north of town on the Willamette River. Albert, along with other members of the family, owned eight other tracts of land, some of which are now part of the city and some covered by a reservoir.
Albert died in 1901, and Martha came to Washington with her family. She took her own homestead 3/4 miles Northeast of her son Lou.
Per Dan Roberts information dated May 8, 1995: It has difficult to prove that this Albert Roberts is the same person as the Albert Roberts who was the father of Louis Elwood Roberts. The facts as I know them are as follows:
- 1. No other Albert Roberts has been found in the 1850 Census of Ohio, who was the right age, except one who was living with a family named Negus.
- 2. The record of the movement of this family from Ohio, where our Albert claimed to have been born, to Wisconsin, where we know he was married, does fit with the other circumstances, and he is shown in the Wisconsin census of 1840 and 1850 to be the right age.
- 3. We have a record of his marriage in Monroe, Green CO., WI to Martha Chapman, and that record is signed by "J. Roberts", which would be John V. Roberts, above. John V. Roberts, in all of the records, seems to be the one who was most prominent and did most of the business for the family.
- 4. John V. Roberts filed a petition with the Court in Green Co., after the death of Christina in 1864, for settlement of her Estate, and in the petition he lists the children of Christina, including Albert Roberts of Minnesota. We know that our Albert moved to Minnesota sometime between the birth of Louis in Wisconsin in 1864 and that of Herbert in Minnesota in 1871.
- 5. Christina had moved to Monroe, WI in 1862, and the Christian Church in Monroe is where Albert and Martha were married.
- 6. The name of Albert's father is not shown on his marriage license, which could be because the father had been dead for about 16 years at that time.
- 7. Albert's mother, on the marriage license, is listed as "Lana" not Christina. However, the "Lana" could be a nickname.
- 8. I have been unable to find an exact date of birth for this Albert Roberts, which would show whether or not he is the right one because we do have an exact date for our Albert.
From the above, I believe the weight of evidence shows that this is the right Albert Roberts.
Per Dan Roberts data of 5/8/1995: Shortly before Alton "Glenn" Carter died (a few days) he was talking to someone and remarked that "My Grandfather, Albert Guy Roberts, was born in Ashtabula, Ohio". This was the only reference to a middle name for Albert Roberts, however another of Albert's grandsons was named Albert Guy Roberts, possibly after him???
If Albert was in fact born in Ashtabula, that raises a question as to the validity of present information I am working on in regard to Albert Roberts, son of Isaac Roberts, who was apparently born in Preble Co., OH which is clear across the state from Ashtabula.
Isaac and Christina were married in Preble, Co. in 1820. Isaac died there in 1840, and it has been assumed that they were there during the entire interim.
On the other had, Isaac was reportedly born in Pennsylvania, and Ashtabula is close the the Pennsylvania line. Could the family have been back there on a visit at the time Albert was born, so that he was in fact born in Ashtabula?
Obituary provided by Kathy Kennedy April 2005: "Death of Albert Roberts. Died of pleurisy at his home west of Eugene, Saturday, Feb. 9, 1901. Albert Roberts, aged 64 years, 8 months and 19 days.
Deceased was born near Eaton, Preble County, Ohio May 21, 1836. His widowed mothers moved to Monroe, Green County, Wisconsin where he resided until 1856 when he married Miss Martha Chapman of that city. They moved to Dodge County, Minnesota in 1864. Later, in 1877 they went to Republic County, Kansas, moving from there to Eugene in 1893 where they resided until his death. Deceased leaves a wife and four children, one son, Arthur Roberts having died Feb 12, 1876 in Minnesota. The children now living are Charles E, Louis E, Herbert L Roberts and Mrs. Blanche Cowgill, all residing near Eugene.
The funeral was held Sunday at 12:30 p.m. from the family residence to the Mulkey cemetery. The services were conducted by Rev. M. L. Rose of the Christian Church and of which church deceased was a member."
More About Albert Roberts:
- Burial: February 10, 1901, Mulkey Cemetary, Eugene, Lane County, Oregon.
- Occupation: Farmer and stonemason.
More About Albert Roberts and Martha Chapman:
- Marriage: August 07, 1856, Christian Church, Monroe, Green Co., Wisconsin.
Children of Albert Roberts and Martha Chapman are:
- 1. Arthur E "Arno" Roberts, b. December 17, 1857, Monroe, Wisconsin, d. February 12, 1876, Kassen, Minnesota.
- 2. +Charles Ed Roberts, b. April 06, 1860, Monroe, Wisconsin, d. July 05, 1928, Washington.
- 3. +Louis Elwood Roberts, b. November 17, 1864, Monroe, Green County, Wisconsin, d. July 14, 1932, at home near Mabton, Washington.
- 4. +Herbert Lee "Bert" Roberts, b. March 31, 1871, Kassen, Minnesota, d. January 24, 1934, Prosser, Washington.
- 5. +Blanche Loretta Roberts, b. April 24, 1877, Dodge Center, Dodge Co., Minnesota, d. February 01, 1941, Darrington, Washington.
Albert Roberts's Timeline
May 21, 1836
Preble or Ashtabula County, Ohio, United States
November 17, 1864
Monroe, Green County, Wisconsin, United States
February 9, 1901
Eugene, Lane County, Oregon, United States
Eugene, Lane County, Oregon, United States