Alexander's Top Matches
About Alexander Hugh Bruce, suo jure 10th Lord Balfour of Burleigh
"Alexander Hugh Bruce, born 13 January 1849. His claim to the Peerage of Balfour of Burleigh (but not to that of Kilwinning) was allowed by the House of Lords 23 July 1868, and the attainder of 1715 having been reversed by Act of Parliament 19 March 1869, he became suo jure tenth LORD BALFOUR OF BURLEIGH, though only the sixth who had borne that title. Educated at Eton and Oriel College, Oxford. Lord-in-waiting to the Queen 1888-89. Parliamentary Secretary to the Board of Trade 1889-92. A Privy Councillor 1892. Secretary for Scotland 1895 to 1903. Lord Rector of Edinburgh University. Chancellor of St. Andrews University. Representative Peer of Scotland 1876. K.T. 1901. Married, 21 November 1876, Lady Katherine Eliza Gordon, youngest daughter of George, fifth Earl of Aberdeen, and has issue :
- Robert, Master of Burleigh, born 25 September 1880.
- George John Gordon, second lieutenant 1st Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, born 18 October 1883.
- Mary, born 24 August 1877.
- Jane Hamilton, born 18 March 1879.
- Victoria Alexandrina Katherine, born 13 September 1898."
SOURCE: The Scots peerage, Vol. I, page 554