Alexander Sutherland of Dunbeath, baron of Dunbeath
|Also Known As:||"Alexander Dunheath"|
|Birthplace:||Dunlichtie & Dunbeath Castle, Inverness, Scotland|
|Death:||Died in Dunbeath, Caithness, Scotland|
|Place of Burial:||Collegiate Church of Roslin|
Son of Robert de Moravia, 6th Earl of Sutherland and Margaret Stewart of Buchan
|Managed by:||Private User|
About Alexander Sutherland of Dunbeath
- Alexander Sutherland, Baron Dunbeath1,2
- M, b. between 1395 and 1400, d. between 5 September 1454 and February 1456
- Father Robert Sutherland, 6th Earl Sutherland2 b. c 1347, d. c 1427
- Mother Margaret Stewart2 d. 1442
- Alexander Sutherland, Baron Dunbeath NOT Master of Sutherland. NOT son of John, 7th Lord Sutherland.3 He was born between 1395 and 1400 at of Dunbeath, Scotland. He married Catherine Chalmer circa 1422.4 Alexander Sutherland, Baron Dunbeath married Mariota of the Isles, daughter of Donald MacDonald, 8th Lord of the Isles and Mary Leslie, circa 1439.5 Alexander Sutherland, Baron Dunbeath died between 5 September 1454 and February 1456.6,7
- Family 1 Catherine Chalmer d. a 1456
- ◦Marjory (Mary) Sutherland+ b. c 1430
*Family 2 Mariota of the Isles b. c 1404, d. b 20 Jul 1448
- ◦Marion (Mariota) Sutherland+8 b. c 1440, d. 1488
- 1.[S5895] Unknown author, Lineage and Ancestry of HRH Prince Charles by Paget, p. 206, 320; Journal of Ancient and Medieval Studies, Vol. VI, p. 36.
- 2.[S11587] The Scots Peerage, Vol. VIII, edited by Sir James Balfour Paul, p. 330.
- 3.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. XII/1, p. 546-547, notes.
- 4.[S45] Neil Thompson & Charles Hansen, "Ancestry of Charles II, King of England."
- 5.[S11590] The Scots Peerage, Vol. IX, edited by Sir James Balfour Paul, p. 18.
- 6.[S11587] The Scots Peerage, Vol. VIII, edited by Sir James Balfour Paul, p. 331.
- 7.[S11585] The Scots Peerage, Vol. VI, edited by Sir James Balfour Paul, p. 171.
- 8.[S13] Worldroots.com.
- Alexander Sutherland1
- M, #109202
- Last Edited=28 Jun 2008
- Alexander Sutherland lived at Dunbeath, Argyllshire, Scotland.2
- Child of Alexander Sutherland
- 1.Marjory Sutherland+1
- 1.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume I, page 313. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- 2.[S2] Peter W. Hammond, editor, The Complete Peerage or a History of the House of Lords and All its Members From the Earliest Times, Volume XIV: Addenda & Corrigenda (Stroud, Gloucestershire, U.K.: Sutton Publishing, 1998), page 15. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage, Volume XIV.