About Alexander Sutherland
Alexander, [son of James Sutherland] who, on 4 August 1726, was served heir-general to his grandfather John Sutherland of Clyne, and in same year, as heir-male and of provision-general to his 'cousin,' the last Alexander Sutherland of Kinminitie. He was killed in 1742 by falling over a stair at Fochabers. He married Mary Sutherland, daughter of Alexander Sutherland of Kinminitie, who survived him. They had issue two sons and several daughters. The only surviving son was James Murray Sutherland of Clyne and Pulrossie, who was in 1756 infeft as heir of his grand-father, James Sutherland of Clyne, and also had a regrant of his lands in 1761, but died s.p. on 9 July 1783, his only surviving sisters Henrietta and Elizabeth being appointed his executors. They were also served heirs-portioners to him and to their father on 14 April 1784..
-  The generations of the family of Clyne as here given, though all vouched for, do not exactly tally with the retours in 1726 of Alexander Sutherland of Clyne, one generation more being indicated in the retours than has been discovered by evidence.
-  Part. Reg. Sas., Inverness, 11 January 1672.
-  Retours, Sutherland, No. 17.
-  Sutherland Writs.
-  Services of Heirs, 1720-29, p. 29.
-  Keith Reg. Baptisms.
-  Sutherland Writs.
-  Inverness Tests., 11 November 1784; Services of Heirs, 1780-89, p. 45.
-  Sutherland Book, i. 407.
Sources: Balfour Paul, J. (1906) The Scots Peerage, vol. 3. Edinburgh: David Douglas.
72) James Sutherland. Served heir to his father 30th July 1697. Living 1705, leaving:
- 72(a) Alexander (No. 73 below).
- 72(b) Patrick Sutherland, living 1745.
(73) Alexander Sutherland, killed 1742. He was served heir to his grand-father 4th August 1726; and to his cousins, Alexander Sutherland of Kinminitie (Nos. 67and 68 above), 8th and 22nd February 1726. He married Mary, daughter of Alexander Sutherland of Kinminitie, and had two sons, of whom:
(74) James Murray Sutherland of Clyne and Pulrossie, died s.p. 9th July 1783. His sister, Elizabeth, was served heir to him 14th April 1784.