About Almus Fairfield
History of the town of Antrim, New Hampshire: from its earliest settlement ...
By Warren Robert Cochrane
ALMUS FAIRFIELD, son of Joseph and Ruth (Campbell) Fairfield of New Boston, was boru in that town Sept. 12, 1821. Ruth Campbell was a daughter of William and Ann (Christie) Campbell, and niece of John Campbell who settled in Antrim. Joseph Fairfield was son of Joseph and Elisabeth (Sweetser) Fairfield of Wenham, Mass. The last was son of Benjamin Fairfield, the leading man in Wenham in Revolutionary times. Benjamin's father was Hon. William Fairfield, who was for a long time the most prominent man in that section, was speaker of Massachusetts House of Representatives, and held every office then within the gift of the State. While he was speaker, all traveling then being on horseback, he started one morning to catch the animal and ride in for the usual session, as was his custom; but being absent-minded and much absorbed in the expected business of the day, he walked into Boston, seven or eight miles, bridle in hand, and mounted the speaker's desk before he noticed that he hadn't got the horse! The Hon. William was born in 1661, died 1742; was son of Walter, and grandson of John Fairfield, who was the first of the family this side the water, and died at a very great age in 1646. Almus Fairfield came to Antrim in 1841 as clerk for Hiram Griffin at the Branch. Bought out Mr. Griffin in 1849, and has been doing business there up to the present date. Has been postmaster since 1850, -»■longer probably thau any other man in the county. Has been ten times elected town clerk. Has been much employed by his townsmen in probate business and making conveyances of real estate as justice of the peace. Married Lydia A. Gregg of Deering, Jan. 8, 1«52. Their only child, Ruth Antoinette, born Nov. 12, 1853, married Charles E. Averill of Mont Vernon, Sept. 1* 1875, and now lives in Nashua. Almus Fairfield carried on an extensive business as a printer for many years in connection with his store, but relinquished it about 1875.